Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Member's Car Journals (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Anthony's 4 Step Diet Program ║[=86=]║ (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42284)

Anthony 01-04-2014 07:39 PM

So... my aspiration system is completely done. Maybe in the distant future I'll get an intake manifold and/or throttle body if someone actually develops an affordable one that actually has cost effective benefits. I don't see that happening any time soon though, so I'm calling it done.

FA20Club cold air intake > Borla UEL headers > Private Label Mfg over pipe > Tomei front pipe > Tomei 60R, currently running Vishnu's OFT v1.42b stage 2 off-the-shelf tune

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZJBkBpP2JQ"]Borla UEL headers, PLM over pipe, Tomei front pipe, Tomei 60R, OFT 1.42b stage 2 tune, FR-S BRZ GT86 - YouTube[/ame]

OrbitalEllipses 01-04-2014 07:43 PM

That is rather loud/not my taste.

Good for you.

Anthony 01-04-2014 07:44 PM

It's light.

phastafrican 01-04-2014 08:06 PM

Not as great sounding as I hoped for. I don't mind how loud it is, as mine will be not be run on the street, just sounds like the car is struggling. My wife says she'll think a harley's coming down the front straight if my car sounds like that. Hopefully, it sounds a little better after a couple of hundred miles. Great job putting it all together though.

What's the current weight, and power output?

Anthony 01-04-2014 08:36 PM

The catback sounded like doo doo for a while. I think it's just now breaking in and sounding better. That front pipe is brand spanking new though, so I think it's responsible for a lot of that klanginess. I'm hoping it will start to sound better soon. It's certainly not the best sounding thing ever. But I'm here for the performance, not the sound.

Estimated approximate current weight and power are about 2,470 pounds and I guess maybe like 175 horsepower. That's quite the guess though.

Luis_GT 01-04-2014 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony (Post 1430435)
Estimated approximate current weight and power are about 2,470 pounds and I guess maybe like 175 horsepower. That's quite the guess though.

Power should be a lot more... Mine is doing 167WHP on a mustang dyno with just a catted front pipe, Q300 catback and drop in filter...

Anthony 01-04-2014 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luis_GT (Post 1430480)
Power should be a lot more... Mine is doing 167WHP on a mustang dyno with just a catted front pipe, Q300 catback and drop in filter...

I think so too. And hope so. I like to keep my estimates conservative though. I despise disappointment. The weight estimate is a bit conservative too, assuming 2,750 is the actual factory wrought. I got that number from the official weights thread.

RehabJeff86 01-05-2014 12:16 AM

Dayum thats loud

Anthony 01-05-2014 01:41 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by userjack6880 (Post 1418049)
A great help to those who aren't stripping their machines, but would like to know what's behind the plastic.

Is there a chance some measurements could be made on the foam spacer near the dome light and metal support in the center? That would get some good ideas on what the gap space is.

Also, how much weight have you lost now that the headliner is gone. :P

And here we go...

OrbitalEllipses 01-05-2014 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony (Post 1430339)
It's light.

I understand and respect that...but I'd have gone with other options, at least for the header. Everyone has their priorities - a few sprung pounds in the exhaust doesn't concern me.

acg2010 01-05-2014 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses (Post 1431040)
I understand and respect that...but I'd have gone with other options, at least for the header. Everyone has their priorities - a few sprung pounds in the exhaust doesn't concern me.

Yeah, gotta agree. I can certainly appreciate what you're trying to do @Anthony.

But, I've always found setups like this just bring attention to how underpowered a four cylinder a car like this is and make them sound unbearable. It's the kind of exhaust I hate being around because it gives me a headache to hear either the drone or the popping of emptiness because the car just isn't pushing out all THAT much in the way of exhaust gasses to fill all the piping up. It goes for so many 4 cyls out there. You start putting free flowing this and that and they just start to sound brutally bad.

But, keep doing what you do. Cars are personal, as long as you love what you do :w00t:

userjack6880 01-05-2014 04:36 AM

Thanks @Anthony.

So, now you've removed pretty much everything. What else is getting removed/replaced? That or what's next?

Anthony 01-05-2014 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by userjack6880 (Post 1431089)
Thanks @Anthony.

So, now you've removed pretty much everything. What else is getting removed/replaced? That or what's next?

I still need to remove the dash and clean up all of that crazy wiring inside. That's all I can think of off the top of my head. As for replacing things:

Steering wheel - need to fabricate an adapter
Battery - terminals are in the mail
Rear control arms - in the mail... "supposedly"
Tires - just waiting for these to wear out

Then a bunch of other things I can't afford yet. I've been putting a huge amount of focus into my car since I started modding it just over a month ago. I'm really happy with it right now, so I'll be turning my attention towards my house soon. The car mods are going to start creeping at that point. Once I buy a new house though, it'll be back down to business with the FR-S.

Luis_GT 01-05-2014 11:24 AM

@Anthony

Is the cusco the lightest shift knob you've been able to find?