Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   86 vs new Supra--review by TFL car (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134606)

BRZnut 05-10-2019 06:56 AM

86 vs new Supra--review by TFL car

Have not had time to watch it all yet but I'm sure many of us are wondering how these two compare:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAE67ui38ZI[/ame]

enjoy!

Teseo 05-10-2019 06:59 AM

I only see a BMW vs Subaru

iLuveKetchup 05-10-2019 07:54 AM

I still think, visually, the car "looks" too long for its width. But it's growing on me.

Sasquachulator 05-10-2019 10:01 AM

HE basically concluded that the Supra IS worth twice the price of admission as the 86, but he also has a yearning for MORE POWERRS!!! which was mentioned in the beginning. So im guessing he wants a car with more power than the 86 to begin with.

The guy's tall too (I think he's like 6'-2" or something, plus the guys at TFL are also on the larger size as well), and he also mentioned that the Supra actually felt more cramped than the 86 (thicker side sills and lower relative roofline)

The embargo for this car is lifted on the 12th so he doesn't really go into the car as much as we'd want.

RayRay88 05-10-2019 10:19 AM

I can't stand him. His gratuitous and poor use of the acronym JDM, and over all phrasing to seem more "hip" has "cool" white suburban dad written all over it.

Looking forward to the real reviews when the embargo lifts.

Dake 05-10-2019 11:25 AM

Yeah - not everyone needs to be on camera. I want to watch this video, but I just couldn't finish it. It doesn't help that he's not really allowed to say anything specific.

Tcoat 05-10-2019 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasquachulator (Post 3216126)
HE basically concluded that the Supra IS worth twice the price of admission as the 86, but he also has a yearning for MORE POWERRS!!! which was mentioned in the beginning. So im guessing he wants a car with more power than the 86 to begin with.

The guy's tall too (I think he's like 6'-2" or something, plus the guys at TFL are also on the larger size as well), and he also mentioned that the Supra actually felt more cramped than the 86 (thicker side sills and lower relative roofline)

The embargo for this car is lifted on the 12th so he doesn't really go into the car as much as we'd want.

At least he went to great lengths to explain why ALL Americans think it is underpowered since all they do is traffic light race and drive down perfectly flat and straight highways for "thousands of miles"!

RToyo86 05-10-2019 11:53 AM

Between average power by today's standards and a peaky motor with no mid range I'm not surprised most north Americans prefer power to handling.

Just looking at most people driving around town they can't even drive in a straight direction between the lines half of the time.

RayRay88 05-10-2019 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3216156)
At least he went to great lengths to explain why ALL Americans think it is underpowered since all they do is traffic light race and drive down perfectly flat and straight highways for "thousands of miles"!

Excess of land and a grid patterned road infrastructure definitely explained why American cars were the way they were leading up to the 70/80's it's no excuse today in a globalized market. Once better handling cars from Europe and Japan started showing up North Americans realized what they were missing out on.

But I digress, hearing him talk explains why there will always be a market for lazy road manatees (i'm looking at you Dodge Challenger).

extrashaky 05-10-2019 12:00 PM

Japan has "a lot more people per capita." What?

Either the Supra handles like shit, or that guy can't drive.

LancePower 05-10-2019 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by extrashaky (Post 3216163)

That was a Shakespearean quote.

Tcoat 05-10-2019 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by extrashaky (Post 3216163)

Either the Supra handles like shit, or that guy can't drive.

LOL I missed that! I guess that is how things work since they do have a lot more people for each person.

OwlDance 05-10-2019 12:32 PM

Not the most well spoken review segment but he had many good points to make. Opting for the "it's different" for the 86 as a descriptor for it's lower torque says a lot about the perspectives taken here than the usual "it's slow!" that people love to go on about. Didn't think his three or four uses of "JDM" were at all egregious either across the 20 minute video.

Pretty sparse (not surprisingly because pre embargo) but I'm liking the way the new Supra drives. Sort of surprised it's significantly smaller than the 86. I didn't expect it to be more practical but it's pretty tiny in there.

PetrolioBenzina 05-10-2019 12:35 PM

Hoping to see it on the Grand Tour next year.