Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Header questions and recommendations (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133701)

FRSluke 03-26-2019 11:32 PM

Header questions and recommendations

Hello

I’m new to modding cars as this is my first sports car. I currently have a Borla Catback exhaust on my FRS. I love the sound, but I have been thinking of picking up some Borla UEL headers for my car also. I just wanted to know how much the sound is going to increase. I don’t mind it being louder, I just don’t want my neighbors to hate me. I also daily drive my FRS so it would be nice if it didn’t add much drone.

If anyone has this setup already or a similar one, I would love some feedback. I would be open to suggestions on headers that may be quieter than others.

I basically just want to get rid of the torque dip and have a small increase in sound. If I get headers, I will also get the OFT and use the stage 2 tune!

Thanks!
Luke

Dr. BRZ 03-27-2019 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRSluke (Post 3200699)
Hello

I’m new to modding cars as this is my first sports car. I currently have a Borla Catback exhaust on my FRS. I love the sound, but I have been thinking of picking up some Borla UEL headers for my car also. I just wanted to know how much the sound is going to increase. I don’t mind it being louder, I just don’t want my neighbors to hate me. I also daily drive my FRS so it would be nice if it didn’t add much drone.

If anyone has this setup already or a similar one, I would love some feedback. I would be open to suggestions on headers that may be quieter than others.

I basically just want to get rid of the torque dip and have a small increase in sound. If I get headers, I will also get the OFT and use the stage 2 tune!

Thanks!
Luke

Search you bum!!!!!

Mr.ac 03-27-2019 12:14 AM

Problem - toque dip
Solution - down shift
Problem solved.

86MLR 03-27-2019 12:31 AM

Punch out OEM header.

OFT catless header tune and OFT the coldstart away.

Cost: 1 x OFT, 3 x gaskets.

LOL, torque dip.....��.........��

PulsarBeeerz 03-27-2019 12:51 AM

Removing the main cat or getting a proper catless header and tune will get rid of the torque dip. It may or may not be too loud afterwards.

86MLR 03-27-2019 02:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by PulsarBeeerz (Post 3200724)
Removing the main cat or getting a proper catless header and tune will get rid of the torque dip. It may or may not be too loud afterwards.

Debatable IRT "dip", depends on alot of variables.

My decat OEM header has a low in basically the same spot.

I run Ecutek and my tuner has 20 odd years experience with it.

I find that when cruising around in the "dip" my fuel economy is excellent.

When I'm "up it" it's never near the "dip" anyway.

Opinions may vary

kch 03-27-2019 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRSluke (Post 3200699)
I just wanted to know how much the sound is going to increase.

A catless header will substantially increase volume, particularly during cold start. It will be a serious difference. Whether it's too big of a difference, only you can answer. See if you can find someone local that has a catless UEL that you can listen to.

Edit: if it helps, think of it this way. It will change the noise from "sporty car" to "obviously modified."