Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   (GR86) Second Generation FR-S/BRZ insider info... (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138241)

ThaBigUnit 12-20-2019 03:15 PM

(GR86) Second Generation FR-S/BRZ insider info...

First, I use to be pretty active on this form back when I owned the very first year FR-S (The best car I ever owned), but since I've had to move on to the SUV gang. Miss you all

However, I'm visiting a family member who's worked at Toyota Corporate/headquarters for 35 years. Not sure if this information has been talked about, but he has informed me on the following regarding the second generation FR-S/BRZ

-He has seen early renders and said they look incredible
- The engine will be borrowed the current Subaru Ascent (2.4L, 4-cyclinder)
- however will be bumped up to 280hp (vs 260hp in the base Ascent)
-The BRZ Version will be the only one that will have an optional turbocharger. Unknown if Toyota will offer later

I'll try and get more info out of my family member. But thoughts? Has this info already been discovered or discussed?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

86MLR 12-20-2019 03:16 PM

:popcorn:

JD001 12-20-2019 03:19 PM

2nd gen better be good as the baby Yaris GR4 will kick its ass!!

HachiRokuX 12-20-2019 03:20 PM

Second Generation FR-S/BRZ insider info...

All of the current rumors I’ve seen:

-Toyota version will have simplified front bumper lines compared to the “kouki” version. (SupraMKV)
-Car will get roughly a 10-20hp/tq boost (General rumor over the web)
*obviously the 2.4 liter from the Ascent was rumored to be in this car, whoops*

So no, barely anything you’ve discussed has ever been a part of the rumor mill..interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarkPira7e 12-20-2019 03:21 PM

Until it hits dealerships, I won't believe that this car sees above 240 HP at the crank.

8RZ 12-20-2019 03:26 PM

If true, $45k twin?

So much for light and cheap.

ThaBigUnit 12-20-2019 03:30 PM

He was very adamant about these details and is fairly high up at Toyota. Not one to bullshit lol

But agree, don't believe it until you see it. However it has been known, Akio Toyoda himself has said "the next generation 86 will be better than the Supra". Just know you heard the details here first [emoji41]

HachiRokuX 12-20-2019 03:34 PM

I would need at least a 40-50hp bump to consider getting another 86 so this sounds like great news.

If it turns out to be a 10-20hp bump for some reason, it’s almost pointless for a current owner to upgrade imo, unless their car is on its last leg.

Tcoat 12-20-2019 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaBigUnit (Post 3284763)
He was very adamant about these details and is fairly high up at Toyota. Not one to bullshit lol

But agree, don't believe it until you see it. However it has been known, Akio Toyoda himself has said "the next generation 86 will be better than the Supra". Just know you heard the details here first [emoji41]

He must be the "insider" that all the clickbaits quote.
Every single one of those statements has been circulating the internet for three years now.
All rumour and zero supporting evidence.
Anybody that actually KNOWS isn't talking.
Link to an actual Toyota release (not some clickbait misquote) where Akio Toyoda said any such thing please.

Tcoat 12-20-2019 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HachiRokuX (Post 3284766)
I would need at least a 40-50hp bump to consider getting another 86 so this sounds like great news.

If it turns out to be a 10-20hp bump for some reason, it’s almost pointless for a current owner to upgrade imo, unless their car is on its last leg.

This is not "news" just another person that knows a person that knows somebody that said that...

funwheeldrive 12-20-2019 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaBigUnit (Post 3284763)
However it has been known, Akio Toyoda himself has said "the next generation 86 will be better than the Supra".

It already is.

HKz 12-20-2019 05:58 PM

unless the dude is working directly on the project, working for toyota means jack...the dude isn't even in japan where the actual development is gonna take place..

very easy to logically falsify those claims...
toyota & subaru would not make separate variants especially with only one brand getting a high powered variant...why add extra development costs only to limit sales..
toyota/subaru would not dare develop a twin with that much HP, it would easily trounce on the 2.0 turbo from the Supra..awkward position for both to be in
..the most logical path is the platform stays NA, more displacement and they utilize the same general chassis with a new body

AnalogMan 12-20-2019 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funwheeldrive (Post 3284791)
It already is.

I completely agree with you!

HKz, you are absolutely right. A turbo BRZ/86 would decimate Supra sakes, and make that car irrelevant. As much as we would love it, there’s no way Toyota will allow that. They are a totally financially driven company.

HaXx 12-20-2019 06:43 PM

https://i.imgflip.com/3k3ymq.jpg