Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Software Tuning (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Pops/Crackle Tune do damage to your brz? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130333)

Jcas 09-17-2018 09:03 PM

Pops/Crackle Tune do damage to your brz?

So, I feel there is a ton of controversy on whether or not this tune does truly do any damage to your brz? Basically I want to make this thread to get everyone's opinions on what it does to the car. From what i've heard it'll basically mess your cats up and basically make them useless. Possibly mess with your plugs and fowl them. Other then that I haven't much more negative effects. Anyone have experience or input?:bonk:

Grady 09-17-2018 10:32 PM

If you want backfires you should remove both cats anyway.

FRSBRZGT86FAN 09-17-2018 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grady (Post 3134481)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcas (Post 3134457)
So, I feel there is a ton of controversy on whether or not this tune does truly do any damage to your brz? Basically I want to make this thread to get everyone's opinions on what it does to the car. From what i've heard it'll basically mess your cats up and basically make them useless. Possibly mess with your plugs and fowl them. Other then that I haven't much more negative effects. Anyone have experience or input?:bonk:

I had it for like 6 months before it seemed to explode in popularity on this forum, and also when I was fully cat-less and had a berk muffler delete:

It works best fully cat-less as grady said and with no mufflers, I have my stock front-pipe and it's little resonator, stock midpipe and a nameless axle-back on so the secondary cat would kill alot of the popping and crackles if I were to flash it now. Also you are almost guaranteed to blast out any muffler packing if you don't have a muffler delete, it would essentially destroy my nameless axleback. I had no issues with fouled spark plugs or the like when I ran the tune by the way, and I even left it during a two or three auto-x sessions.

Below is my opinion-

It's kind of childish, I got good enough that all I had to do was when coming down on RPMS hold the throttle a little bit and you get some loud cracks and burbles. The car already attracts attention with a fully catless and muffler deleted exhaust, adding fake cracks and burbles is unnecessary. You also really don't gain all that much power by switching out anything past the header, just noise. Also it's not worth the fuel economy hit either with the crackle pop tune.

So my opinion is this, try it out for a few days if you have a catless exhaust and don't mind exhaust wear on your catback, but I'm pretty sure you'll get tired of it as I did. At the very least you should have one cat removed and a different catback than stock

StraightOuttaCanadaEh 09-18-2018 07:56 AM

Considering audi/bmw/amg and probably others now engineer it into their cars, I'm guessing it's not that bad

Jcas 09-18-2018 09:54 AM

yeah i ended up trying it for like a day i mean it doesn't crack and burble like crazy considering i'm only running an invidia N1 catback exhaust, so yeah nothing crazy. I took the tune off already and just went back to stage one just because I don't want to run into any problems plus yeah I took a slight hit in MPG. Overall I don't think it proved to be worth it but I guess it may be some people's taste.

Summerwolf 09-18-2018 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcas (Post 3134580)
yeah i ended up trying it for like a day i mean it doesn't crack and burble like crazy considering i'm only running an invidia N1 catback exhaust, so yeah nothing crazy. I took the tune off already and just went back to stage one just because I don't want to run into any problems plus yeah I took a slight hit in MPG. Overall I don't think it proved to be worth it but I guess it may be some people's taste.

Oh, yeah?

86MLR 09-18-2018 10:31 AM

I remember reading a review IRT the Focus RS, I think, maybe, the gist of it was the engineers had the tune sorted, marketing said they want the car to "pop and crackle like a race car", the engineers said "no, it isn't good engineering or tuning", marketing said, "don't care, make it happen".

Marketing won.

To me it's like all the fake vents and things like sound tubes, pointless, but the kids love that shit.

I believe they are trying to replicate the sound of antilag.

At least antilag serves a purpose, I cannot see a purpose to pops and crackles, apart from extra heat, wear and damage to parts

Form over function strikes again.

Tokay444 09-18-2018 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grady (Post 3134481)

Backfires happen in the intake manifold though...

tomm.brz 09-18-2018 11:10 AM

did someone actually get flames from exhaust while completely catless? i got only loud pops and never fire/flames

FRSBRZGT86FAN 09-18-2018 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomm.brz (Post 3134618)
did someone actually get flames from exhaust while completely catless? i got only loud pops and never fire/flames

Someone posted awhile a go a video of their BRZ at night with a more aggressive version of the edit, and it was popping blue flames. I'll have to find the video, it somewhere in that tuning thread.

Tristor 09-18-2018 12:11 PM

Honestly the whole crackles and pops thing seems completely pointless to me. If you have an actual ALS setup with a turbo, okay cool. If you're just running a tune to make noise on the street then it makes you look like an immature jerk. Basically it's very ricey.

Tcoat 09-18-2018 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh (Post 3134557)
Considering audi/bmw/amg and probably others now engineer it into their cars, I'm guessing it's not that bad

That is just it. It is engineered into the system. That does not mean you can take a system that was not engineered for it and expect the same results.
Those pops and crackles are explosions occurring where the parts are not designed for explosions. I have never seen good results from such actions.

FRSBRZGT86FAN 09-18-2018 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh (Post 3134557)

That's completely different that's by design and the exhaust system is designed around that. Here we have people who are adding some values to a table or two in romraider and getting there exhaust to pop all over the place.

StraightOuttaCanadaEh 09-18-2018 01:00 PM

It's just unburnt fuel being dumped into the manifold. Worst thing it might do is deposit more carbon in the exhaust or reduce the lifespan of the cat, or both. Cheap to fix. Worth the fun. My catback pops sometimes.