Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Requirements For Lowering (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132751)

Alpha86 02-02-2019 12:47 AM

Requirements For Lowering

It appears this hasn't been entirely discussed (or at least not in its own thread), but what is needed to maximize reliability when lowering? Going with the Eibach Pro-Kit (1-inch drop all around) and planning on adjustable LCAs, rear toe kit and front camber bolts. I hear lots of people damaging their swaybar end links with coilovers, does this need to be addressed as well? TIA.

86MLR 02-02-2019 01:09 AM

Front endlinks to match drop.

Lowering can cause issues with the oem links both at the upper and lower joints.

This info is in this forum, more searching needed.

fatoni 02-02-2019 01:32 AM

I think a lot of it depends on how low and what your objective are. I'm on some tein flex z. They seem super low to me. All I have are lcas. Maybe I could do better but I don't run into any issues on the street.

Joveen 02-02-2019 07:07 AM

If your worried about endlinks, get adjustable ones.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

mrg666 02-02-2019 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpha86 (Post 3181011)
It appears this hasn't been entirely discussed (or at least not in its own thread), but what is needed to maximize reliability when lowering? Going with the Eibach Pro-Kit (1-inch drop all around) and planning on adjustable LCAs, rear toe kit and front camber bolts. I hear lots of people damaging their swaybar end links with coilovers, does this need to be addressed as well? TIA.

If it is just 1 inch lowering with Eibach Pro, you don't need anything other than replacing the springs and an alignment after that.

But I would replace the shocks and struts together with the springs since your car is 2013.

Leonardo 02-02-2019 02:08 PM

When I installed Prokit springs 65k miles ago, I wished I had also installed a Roll center bumpsteer kit. I now have the whiteline kit. The difference in feel is noticable. A nice "planted" feel. I would suggest it with the parts you have.

Sapphireho 02-02-2019 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonardo (Post 3181133)
When I installed Prokit springs 65k miles ago, I wished I had also installed a Roll center bumpsteer kit. I now have the whiteline kit. The difference in feel is noticable. A nice "planted" feel. I would suggest it with the parts you have.

I have the same. Zero bumpsteer.

xdavidx 02-02-2019 10:54 PM

Eibach pro is the same drop as the trd springs they are a factory option and warrantied even as a dealer installed option. If Toyota doesn't even recommend anything other than an alignment, then its safe to say anything more would be unnecessary and likely a waste of money.

Leonardo 02-03-2019 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xdavidx (Post 3181240)
If Toyota doesn't even recommend anything other than an alignment, then its safe to say anything more would be unnecessary and likely a waste of money.

Who decided a roll center kit was not great to install with drop springs?

Gunman 02-03-2019 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonardo (Post 3181348)

Is it truly a "roll center" change? Most modern suspension design theory, has pushed static roll centers down the list of concerns.

xdavidx 02-03-2019 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonardo (Post 3181348)

Can't say with certainty, but likely Tetsuya Tada; the chief engineer for the 86 at Toyota. Could have been one of the TRD engineers though too, but I doubt he was not at least consulted.

Leonardo 02-03-2019 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xdavidx (Post 3181443)
Can't say with certainty, but likely Tetsuya Tada; the chief engineer for the 86 at Toyota. Could have been one of the TRD engineers though too, but I doubt he was not at least consulted.

Mac strut needs the kit to fix the suspension geometry from lowering. Believe whatever you want though.

Leonardo 02-03-2019 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunman (Post 3181424)
Is it truly a "roll center" change? Most modern suspension design theory, has pushed static roll centers down the list of concerns.

The kit is a huge improvement in feel. But don't take my word for it. :search:

tyler_win_photo 02-03-2019 10:57 PM

You could skip the rear toe arms. The stock eccentric toe bolt in the rear should be able to keep you in spec with your mild drop.