Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Manual vs Automatic (Help!) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16825)

Mr. J 09-08-2012 06:22 PM

Manual vs Automatic (Help!)

I'll be short; I'm considering an automatic over a manual. Now most of you probably cringed at that sentence, but hear me out. This will be my first new car. I'm a 17 year-old high school student, who is pretty much funding this car entirely on his own. So here's the deal; I can't exactly drive a manual. I've tried once before and I picked up on it fairly well, but I was driving a little Chevy Aveo and I had some trouble with starting (gas + clutch release). I was considering the car in automatic simply because I'm not comfortable with driving stick just yet. I would feel guilty purchasing this as an automatic because I feel it would hinder the driving experience. My question to all of you is, is the manual a huge improvement over the auto? I'm going to need a lot of practice, but I think I can be fairly confident before the car would arrive to the dealer. So what are your thoughts overall? I'd love some opinions! :thanks:

HotLava 09-08-2012 06:26 PM

Read the following thread:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6485

Forum member Moto-P lays everything out pretty good.

ngabdala 09-08-2012 06:32 PM

You are letting fear interfere with your decision. You're not going to destroy this car or get into an accident being new at a manual.

You just take the car to a flat area. Push the clutch all the way in. Then slowly ease off the clutch and you will see at which point the car starts to move forward without even touching the gas pedal. Try it like that a few times and try it in reverse a few times. Reverse is very easy.

Once you know the point where the clutch comes up and the car starts to move you can lightly press on the gas pedal.

It should only take a few minutes to learn.

Never buy a car out of fear of not knowing how to drive stick.

Have some confidence in yourself.

The first time I tried my friends car I couldn't even get the car into reverse. It scared me away from ever buying a manual for an additional 10 years.

You're going to do great. Just need a little practice.

Don't rob yourself of the manual driving experience. You haven't driven until you've learned it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. J (Post 429489)
I'll be short; I'm considering an automatic over a manual. Now most of you probably cringed at that sentence, but hear me out. This will be my first new car. I'm a 17 year-old high school student, who is pretty much funding this car entirely on his own. So here's the deal; I can't exactly drive a manual. I've tried once before and I picked up on it fairly well, but I was driving a little Chevy Aveo and I had some trouble with starting (gas + clutch release). I was considering the car in automatic simply because I'm not comfortable with driving stick just yet. I would feel guilty purchasing this as an automatic because I feel it would hinder the driving experience. My question to all of you is, is the manual a huge improvement over the auto? I'm going to need a lot of practice, but I think I can be fairly confident before the car would arrive to the dealer. So what are your thoughts overall? I'd love some opinions! :thanks:

jmaryt 09-08-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. J (Post 429489)

well i have been drivin' stick for over 40 years,so you know which way i would go!.that said,in MY view,a "proper" 6-speed manual in THIS car would be my first choice because it definitely brings "more" to the table than a "slush box"..YOU exhibit "total" control over the vehicle,whereas the "slush" uses a computer to pick shift points for you.an "auto" has more ,and complicated parts to "possibly" break over time,this affecting reliability.
in MY view,the "feeling",and "emotional" involvement of driving stick is more heightened,and so makes for a more "enjoyable" driving experience i can tell you honestly after driving a direct drive transmission for so long that driving in heavy traffic conditions is for me,NOT a consideration.the convenience factor is nice,but to be honest,if you are used to driving stick,you really don't even think about!..also,driving 'stick" forces you to be more attentive while you are driving,which can be a safety factor because with the "slush box" you do not have to be concerned about shifting,so you can fiddle and f**k around more which in my view is detrimental from a safety point of view! you need to be focused on your driving,and a "slush box" has a tendency to let your "attention" quotient" slip a little bit,which of course can be unsafe!

fatoni 09-08-2012 06:43 PM

i would go with the manual simply based on the fact that you seem to be on the fence and the manual is cheaper. if youre gonna regret something, it might as well be a thousand dollars in your pocket

steeloyangster 09-08-2012 06:45 PM

Honestly, driving a Manual is kind of like learning a language. Someone call tell you, let you try it, kinda dabble here and there for it, learn the mechanics of it and kinda know how to do it. But until you immerse yourself in it, you'll never really learn how to do it. Just get the Manual. To always be afraid of not knowing how to drive Manual is not an excuse. You just have to learn it the proper way, by having to drive it.

xwd 09-08-2012 06:50 PM

Like someone else said don't let fear dictate your decision because you will learn it way faster than you think. I bought an 02 WRX not knowing how to drive a manual and it only took about a week to be okay at it and within a month wasn't even thinking about it most of the time.

MmmHamSandwich 09-08-2012 06:52 PM

Is the learning curve the only thing holding you back? If so don't worry too much. Most of driving a manual is straight forward, the only real tricky parts are more advanced techniques like heel-toe (which admittedly I have trouble with due to anatomical and flexibility issues). I bought my current car without being proficient at stick. My dad drove it home from the dealer in NOVA traffic to spare me and the other drivers from headaches. I started practicing the next morning. No big deal.

On the other hand... If there are other aspects you like about the AT definitely read the thread HotLava linked. If you have questions give Moto-P a PM. I've driven both (though not extensively) so I could probably answer some questions; but my impressions are here.

onthemove 09-08-2012 06:53 PM

If your a dude and dont get manual for any other reason besides missing limbs, your a little girl.

Seriously though your spending 25k, might as well spend it on something YOU want.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Xanatos 09-08-2012 07:45 PM

Here's my take on it:

I've been driving manual for quite a while. However not your typical manual car. I've driven forklifts, loader backhoes, and tractors. Those of course are harder to drive than your typical manual car. I've also driven a few road cars, Accord, and F350. When driving a car I feel like its a time to relax and enjoy the road. When shifting although you get to feel the car better you kind of lose out on relaxation. So when I get the FR-S it will be AT. Why? I can shift manually if I choose to do so on the track or I can let the car decide and really enjoy the road. Also it gets better mileage.

Its all really up to you to decide what you want from your car.:thumbup:

Sigh-on-Rice 09-08-2012 07:58 PM

I bought my first car with manual transmission when I had never driven a car with a manual transmission. Don't be scared about learning it. By the time you break in the car, you will be comfortable driving it. And then both you and the car will be ready for some fun. :)

Gen 09-08-2012 08:17 PM

I don't believe any new car is a good high school + college car, particularly if you're paying for it yourself. However, I'd go with manual.

Mr. J 09-08-2012 10:00 PM

Both of the threads and all of your advice is really compelling. For obvious reasons, the manual appeals to the purist in me, but the automatic hits my soft spot for advanced tech in the way that everyone just makes the auto seem too damn good. Honestly, I'm going to have to sleep on it; maybe a couple nights. But thanks to all of you for your input! Really appreciate your faith in me and my decision making skills ;)

gmookher 09-08-2012 10:14 PM

get a manual

learn to drive while youre still young

youre welcome

the auto will teach you NOTHING