Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   FRS Rear Turbo (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16355)

nix 09-24-2012 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ST185RC (Post 457893)
I'm wondering what a puddle splashing will do to a hot turbo or the exposed filter... Not flaming here, just geniuinely concerned.

He said that they have a splash shield, but the turbo will be fine, it will essentially act as a water pump into the combustion chamber which will hydrolock the engine. For big puddles it needs this :D

http://www.exploroz.com/images/Artic...800.jpg?242984

WolfsFang 09-24-2012 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkullWorks (Post 457949)
yes it most certainly does, I saw the car this weekend...and if you had read you would realize he has taken to atleast 1 meet.

he is being diligent and working out the bugs with his setup so that he can go full boost...

im not looking for a full throttle run. If he could drive to a meet he could of made a video by now.

Roadstercycle 09-25-2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfsFang (Post 458535)
im not looking for a full throttle run. If he could drive to a meet he could of made a video by now.

Sorry about the video not being done. If I was a vender and my business and sales depended on it I would have done it already. I'm not lazy, I just have a full time job and internet business that takes my time. I am also changing the internal waste gate to an external because of boost creep I am experiencing. Up to 5500 RPMs all is well at 5 PSI then from 5500 to 6500 it starts creeping fast. So before I dyno it I am fixing this issue. It was not easy Sunday at a BRZ and FRS dyno run get together to not dyno the car for everyone but with the boost creep I was not taking any chances. So now I have a Turbosmart comp 40, and a Turbosmart BOV to install next week. Oct. 7th I will be at the A86 Fest, FRS, and BRZ meet at Autoclub speedway in Fontana California.

Roadstercycle 09-25-2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfsFang (Post 457902)
3 weeks and still no video? I love this idea but does the car even turn on?

Here's a video of the FRS rear turbo.

http://youtu.be/VPGYVII-R9I

Hope this works for everyone.

:burnrubber:

WolfsFang 09-25-2012 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadstercycle (Post 460458)
Here's a video of the FRS rear turbo.

http://youtu.be/VPGYVII-R9I

Hope this works for everyone.

:burnrubber:

ty very nice, i also like how yo have the fake exhaust tip so it can look flush!

Roadstercycle 10-08-2012 11:15 AM

Went on a trip this last weekend to California Speedway. 33.9 miles to the gallon. Paying $5.00 a gallon for Premium in SoCal.

Roadstercycle 10-10-2012 11:01 AM

Updated external wastegate

1 Attachment(s)
Thought I'd show a picture of the updated external wastegate. Hopefully Dyno this weekend.

wcbjr 10-10-2012 11:06 AM

Nice.

Coheed 10-10-2012 12:30 PM

It looks good, but I wonder how it will keep from cracking over the long run? WG tube has a ton of thermal expansion, so without a slip joint it could crack just above the weld.

I'm sure you know that. It could last 50k miles or 3k miles.

SkullWorks 10-10-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coheed (Post 488136)
It looks good, but I wonder how it will keep from cracking over the long run? WG tube has a ton of thermal expansion, so without a slip joint it could crack just above the weld.

I'm sure you know that. It could last 50k miles or 3k miles.

Normally I would be concerned with the lack of a slip joint also however the distance from the exhaust ports and the direct exposure to under car airflow reduces the thermal energy this system will see greatly.

I do not for see any real probability of failure here, yes there is expansion due to thermal expansion , but I doubt that assembly will experience enough to stress the material in less than 50-70k miles, unless the OP decides he wants to run the turbo to the ragged edge...

I would have used a detached wastegate with it's own muffler assembly venting to the other exhaust outlet but he never asked me lol

Roadstercycle 10-11-2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkullWorks (Post 488512)
Normally I would be concerned with the lack of a slip joint also however the distance from the exhaust ports and the direct exposure to under car airflow reduces the thermal energy this system will see greatly.

I do not for see any real probability of failure here, yes there is expansion due to thermal expansion , but I doubt that assembly will experience enough to stress the material in less than 50-70k miles, unless the OP decides he wants to run the turbo to the ragged edge...

I would have used a detached wastegate with it's own muffler assembly venting to the other exhaust outlet but he never asked me lol

I did think about running it over to the other side with its own muffler etc. But decided to keep it close and light, no need for extra weight in this car.

We will see how it goes, if I get any cracks I will do a redesign for it. I'm not to worried as I have a full machine shop and a hoist in my garage for any mods needed.

Roadstercycle 10-11-2012 01:10 PM

John Visconti was in town this week and we got together to do some tuning on the car. Wow, what a difference after John was able to do the car in person. John is a very dedicated and meticulous tuner, top notch in my book.

OmarGC 10-11-2012 01:33 PM

Dynograph?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

jeebus 10-11-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadstercycle (Post 490523)
John Visconti was in town this week and we got together to do some tuning on the car. Wow, what a difference after John was able to do the car in person. John is a very dedicated and meticulous tuner, top notch in my book.

so was it completely stock tune before John's work?