Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Best floor jack/jack stand for 2020 BRZ (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149906)

ajacob 05-26-2022 04:10 PM

Best floor jack/jack stand for 2020 BRZ

Hey everyone, could somebody recommend a reliable/moderately priced floor jack and jack stands for my 2020 BRZ? Looking to get decent clearance for basic oil changes and changing out for aftermarket unequal length headers etc. Something that is extremely sturdy is my preference, don’t want my car falling on top of me lol Thought of getting wheel cribs, but I do wanna change for new coilovers and wheels at some point.

Ohio Enthusiast 05-26-2022 04:30 PM

I'm happy with a Harbor Freight 3 ton low profile jack - it's easy to reach both the front jacking point and the diff. On the other hand, they seem pretty pricy right now. I bought mine a few years ago for less than $100.

For jack stands I have two sets of Torrin 3 ton (4 stands in total) with rubber pads from eBay that work well. Again they are going for twice what I paid for several years ago.

With the rubber pads on the stands the jack can lift the car to almost the top height of the stands and that gives adequate clearance with a creeper and great clearance from the floor, about 17".

Capt Spaulding 05-26-2022 06:05 PM

I'll second the harbor freight jack, but I went with Esco 10498 stands.

https://esco.net/product/3-ton-perfo...ck-stand-pair/

Rock solid is an understatement.

DarkPira7e 05-26-2022 06:40 PM

I also use one of the harbor freight low profile 3 ton jacks.. do not buy harbor freight jackstands though

dragoontwo 05-26-2022 07:31 PM

I use 6 ton stands that max out at 24.5" of lift. With a 2 ton low jack.

Stonehorsw 05-26-2022 08:47 PM

Pittsburgh aluminum (Harbor freight) is good to take anywhere. I use some wood planks to make sure that car have enough clearance.
Do not cheap out on the stands, it is not worth. Get esco, torin or something like that

soundman98 05-26-2022 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkPira7e (Post 3525782)
I also use one of the harbor freight low profile 3 ton jacks.. do not buy harbor freight jackstands though

why? because of 2 pesky recalls? there's more documented damage from the valve spring recall than any of the HF recalls...

DarkPira7e 05-26-2022 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundman98 (Post 3525816)
why? because of 2 pesky recalls? there's more documented damage from the valve spring recall than any of the HF recalls...

Any safety recall involving some that's only purpose is to protect me from certain death is enough to prompt me to avoid

soundman98 05-26-2022 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkPira7e (Post 3525820)
Any safety recall involving some that's only purpose is to protect me from certain death is enough to prompt me to avoid

so you don't buy a hyundai, ford, chevy, or toyota product?

Wally86 05-27-2022 06:18 AM

For maximum safety, quickjack. I've gotten the car on four jack stands before and never had an issue but having build in mechanical locks and not lifting half the car at a time is really, really nice.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...2ed52b_z_d.jpg

For quick oddball things, daytona 3ton low pro and a bunch of non-HF stands I've collected over the years.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...11e50d_z_d.jpg

DarkPira7e 05-27-2022 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundman98 (Post 3525830)
so you don't buy a hyundai, ford, chevy, or toyota product?

I have a chance of surviving a car crash with defective equipment. Any failure from the jack stand is most definitely going to kill me if I am under the car. I know you're making a point, but it's not comparable

soundman98 05-27-2022 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkPira7e (Post 3525884)
I have a chance of surviving a car crash with defective equipment. Any failure from the jack stand is most definitely going to kill me if I am under the car. I know you're making a point, but it's not comparable

i've never trusted any jack stand by themselves. well before any recall.

if i'm taking a tire off, i'm putting it under the car. i'm also putting the jack under too-- sure, it might fall over, but it's another layer of protection.

of note, HF is the only company that's recalled jackstands, despite much documentation to the fact that the same factories are churning out the same products with a different sticker for other brands on it.

what concerns me much much more than the hf recall are the other brands using the same factories and same tooling that never issued a recall.

Ohio Enthusiast 05-28-2022 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundman98 (Post 3526057)
i've never trusted any jack stand by themselves. well before any recall.

if i'm taking a tire off, i'm putting it under the car. i'm also putting the jack under too-- sure, it might fall over, but it's another layer of protection.

Same here - I have two floor jacks and I leave one under each lifting point once the weight is supported by the stands. I also made a small wooden cube out of scrap 2x12 that I put next to me when I'm working under the car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundman98 (Post 3526057)
of note, HF is the only company that's recalled jackstands, despite much documentation to the fact that the same factories are churning out the same products with a different sticker for other brands on it.

what concerns me much much more than the hf recall are the other brands using the same factories and same tooling that never issued a recall.

A valid point, but keep in mind that when manufacturing in China you typically can specify the level of QC you want (and pay accordingly (and keep a close eye on the manufacturer so that they adhere to your QC level)). The HF recall was blamed on worn cast iron molds, so I can easily imagine the new molds being used for the pricier brands and as they wear out moving down the line to the budget brands.

Still, it did make me wish I bought stands with a locking pin...

soundman98 05-28-2022 09:36 AM

yep. though 'who is the better' brand in that scenario is the big question.. i went down a rather large rabbit hole looking for alternatives when the first recall came out. there's no apparent difference in quality to a number of other brands of similarly styled jack stands.

so barring buying and testing every single one to the point of failure, there's no guarantee that any of the other similar designs are a higher-tier or lower-tier that the hf variation.

knowing china, they likely are still using the hf molds on a different product with lower standards...

and of note-- the 1st recall was to address worn molds, the 2nd recall was to address a weld penetration issue--they clearly didn't have the machines calibrated correctly. so while there were 2 recalls, they were for different parts of the assembly, and 2 drastically different issues.