Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Valentine tail light install (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119865)

BrianLaplante 06-27-2017 04:02 PM

Valentine tail light install

Hey everyone just wanted to share this short video I made on how to install after market tail lightlights on the twins
https://youtu.be/AY26wTA52gc (this is the new updated video)
Would love some feedback on what you guys think I could do better on. Thanks!

RickyBobby 06-27-2017 07:26 PM

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...ostcount=14623

Read the installation instructions from Speedline for pointers.
No mention in the video on how you accessed the lights. Use a 8mm deep well socket to remove and install the nuts.
The main reason that water gets into the lights is because the nuts are not tightened, not just "pretty good", to 39 in lb.

Tcoat 06-27-2017 07:54 PM

Well first off spell the name of the parts correctly here and in the video.
Get somebody to hold and move the camera so people can actually see what you are doing instead of looking at a flapping panel or your back.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...a36809a1df.jpg

BrianLaplante 06-27-2017 09:25 PM

Tcoat:
My bad on the part name here i posted this from my phone must have auto corrected with out my notice =/ as for the title of the video i did not notice that thank you very much. :D unfortunately getting a camera man is not always the easiest of tasks sometimes i will try harder to have one next time.

RickyBobby:
Thanks for the info on speedline i will be checking them out after this reply :D
I'm unclear on what you mean by accessed the lights? i thought i showed that relatively well =/ Thanks again with the 8mm deep socket (i honestly got lazy in the video and just went with a wrench because it was closer) i should have gone back and mentioned that a deep socket would have been better i will keep this in mind next time! :D
as for the nuts i actually had no idea about the correct torque rating i just heard that if you over tighten it would make the seal crease. i did made sure mine were on "pretty good" for me i guess i need a broaden vocabulary sometimes :P though I'm sure speedline will help me lay out may plans/wording better from here on so again thank you! :D

BrianLaplante 06-27-2017 09:38 PM

update: watched the video it cut the first portion of it out... like a good 2+ minutes no wonder it had no explanation on how to get in lol i will fix this as soon as possible and update link sorry for the fast of time.

Tcoat 06-27-2017 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianLaplante (Post 2936521)
Tcoat:
My bad on the part name here i posted this from my phone must have auto corrected with out my notice =/ as for the title of the video i did not notice that thank you very much. :D unfortunately getting a camera man is not always the easiest of tasks sometimes i will try harder to have one next time.

RickyBobby:
Thanks for the info on speedline i will be checking them out after this reply :D
I'm unclear on what you mean by accessed the lights? i thought i showed that relatively well =/ Thanks again with the 8mm deep socket (i honestly got lazy in the video and just went with a wrench because it was closer) i should have gone back and mentioned that a deep socket would have been better i will keep this in mind next time! :D
as for the nuts i actually had no idea about the correct torque rating i just heard that if you over tighten it would make the seal crease. i did made sure mine were on "pretty good" for me i guess i need a broaden vocabulary sometimes :P though I'm sure speedline will help me lay out may plans/wording better from here on so again thank you! :D

It is important for you to get the spelling right or searches will not pick it up.

The camera man is almost a necessity. For much of the video what you were actually doing was blocked. Some of the rest was so shaky it was like watching The Blair Witch Taillight Project.

If you are going to do instructional videos the details are important. If a socket is better you should remember to say it and if something should be a certain torque you MUST make sure it is mentioned. You don't want to be the guy that caused others to screw things up.

Keep practicing and watch a few more of how the pros do such videos.

BrianLaplante 06-27-2017 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 2936537)
It is important for you to get the spelling right or searches will not pick it up.

The camera man is almost a necessity. For much of the video what you were actually doing was blocked. Some of the rest was so shaky it was like watching The Blair Witch Taillight Project.

If you are going to do instructional videos the details are important. If a socket is better you should remember to say it and if something should be a certain torque you MUST make sure it is mentioned. You don't want to be the guy that caused others to screw things up.

Keep practicing and watch a few more of how the pros do such videos.

i will definitely be more careful with my spell checking in the future.

i will try to convince a friend to help me with camera work but at the moment its to hard to pay someone to help because i do this for fun and see no money form it yet my minimum wage job just keeps me afloat with just enough for a car part every few months =/ (need to start looking for better work)

and i will start trying to make a list i should mention of tools before the install from now on (did this originally but didn't have the deep socket so needs more research first) and will definitely start looking up the proper torque specs from now on

definitely will keep practicing always trying to get better thanks for all the input!

I've fixed and major flaws in the video as of now (not all of them like shakiness but i think it will be a lot better now) the video as been re-uploaded