Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Is track day insurance worth it? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144849)

jkamelo 04-08-2021 02:59 PM

Is track day insurance worth it?

I think I’m going to do it since this is my only car. Just wanted to get some second opinions. They’re quoting me at $300.

Update: So I went out without insurance, and it was fine. But I still plan to buy insurance for all future track days I run. Several other cars had incidents (no car-to-car collisions though).

EndlessAzure 04-08-2021 03:10 PM

Up to you really.

What's the company? Coverage amount and deductible?

Quotes for events near me typically run around $200 for $20,000 @ 10%. Try shopping around. I usually go through Lockton Motorsports or Hagerty HPDE

Opie 04-08-2021 03:26 PM

If you crash at the track event...can you afford to replace the car and fix the damage to the track out of pocket?

fminicooper 04-08-2021 04:38 PM

depens on your personal level of risk tolerance, very subjetive issue.

But I will say that something to take into account is the damage to the track out of pocket.
If you are at COTA, and you crash against something there, it will be expensive. Happened to a friend last January @CoTA (totaled car + damage to track + tow truck, 30K usd).
Sometimes, you can affort to loose the car (write it off, not replacing) but damage to track is out of your pocket.

RT-BRZ 04-08-2021 05:36 PM

Keep in mind that it covers not only your car but also any damage you do to the track itself (not other cars). Things like oil spill cleanup can get expensive very quickly.

If you have a car that's not a complete race car then I would definitely recommend it.

jkamelo 04-08-2021 06:44 PM

Additional context: This is my first HPDE and I’m in the Novice group. I don’t think I’ll be fast or ballsy enough to cause any real damage...

Jdmjunkie 04-08-2021 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkamelo (Post 3421211)
Additional context: This is my first HPDE and I’m in the Novice group. I don’t think I’ll be fast or ballsy enough to cause any real damage...

In a sense this is like driving on the road, it not so much yourself you have to worry about it is all the other idiots on the road. In my little experience novice groups are filled with people that are not taking it seriously.

NoHaveMSG 04-08-2021 08:00 PM

Depends on what kind of track day as well. Is it an HOD novice class, or is it the free for all that is an SCCA TNiA?

Ever want to see a totally unprepped supercharged 90's CRV attempt to brake for a chicane at the end of a straight? SCCA TNiA :thumbsup:

cjd 04-08-2021 10:34 PM

Yes.

gkubed 04-09-2021 08:11 AM

The $165 I paid for insurance when I totalled my FR-S at the track was the best $165 (Lockton) I ever spent.

Tcoat 04-09-2021 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkamelo (Post 3421211)

You can total a car at 10MPH (or even less but they are supposed to be good to that)!

NoHaveMSG 04-09-2021 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gkubed (Post 3421401)
The $165 I paid for insurance when I totalled my FR-S at the track was the best $165 (Lockton) I ever spent.

Damn it is like 350/day every time I quote it.

jflogerzi 04-09-2021 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fminicooper (Post 3421171)
depens on your personal level of risk tolerance, very subjetive issue.

But I will say that something to take into account is the damage to the track out of pocket.
If you are at COTA, and you crash against something there, it will be expensive. Happened to a friend last January @CoTA (totaled car + damage to track + tow truck, 30K usd).
Sometimes, you can affort to loose the car (write it off, not replacing) but damage to track is out of your pocket.

That is a very good point! Never thought about track damage.

jflogerzi 04-09-2021 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jdmjunkie (Post 3421222)
In a sense this is like driving on the road, it not so much yourself you have to worry about it is all the other idiots on the road. In my little experience novice groups are filled with people that are not taking it seriously.

Thats not true. This group is for people to learn. YOu can't just step onto a track and instantly know everything there is to know....