Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   FRS Rear Turbo (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16355)

Roadstercycle 09-03-2012 12:34 AM

FRS Rear Turbo

6 Attachment(s)
Just finished doing my rear turbo project on the FRS. Trying to be as inconspicuous as possible for the California crowd. I'm using a comp turbo oil-less with water cooling. The little extra lines you see in the pix will be the water cooling lines besides the very little line for the BOV. The turbo is cooled with water that runs through the same lines as your heater core. It is in the same location as the muffler. The whole system can be reverted back to stock in a couple hours. It retains the catalytic cover as it is a $2500 ticket in california for removal. I did this because I wanted to feel the the difference between stock and turbo. There is a lot of excitement for the Don Accelerated system but since I'm in California there's no way we can do this without trailering everywhere because of our smog laws. So I bent them instead of breaking them. So here it is without the splash shield. Although in California a splash shield is needed about twice a year. Sorry if you live in the other 49 states. Also, I don't have dyno numbers, or fuel economy. or what ever else you can come up with, I'm only having fun, and at this point I'm grinning ear to ear. Jack

Gen 09-03-2012 12:39 AM

Forgive my ignorance, but does Don's kit replace the stock cats? I had thought they remained in place.

Roadstercycle 09-03-2012 12:43 AM

Where Don's turbo mounts is where the cat used to be.

xjohnx 09-03-2012 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadstercycle (Post 418476)
Trying to be as inconspicuous as possible for the California crowd.

http://i.imgur.com/eajgO.jpg

Roadstercycle 09-03-2012 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xjohnx (Post 418495)

Couldn't help myself for the pix, it comes right off. LOL

Hotlava86 09-03-2012 12:47 AM

videos please.

Turdinator 09-03-2012 12:47 AM

Is it as laggy as it looks?

Roadstercycle 09-03-2012 12:48 AM

Do you have any experience with lag?

Lee358 09-03-2012 12:49 AM

video!!

Roadstercycle 09-03-2012 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turdinator (Post 418499)
Is it as laggy as it looks?

I don't know about about the laggy thing yet since we just we just finished it but I'm not drag racing so I'll let you know.

Roadstercycle 09-03-2012 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hotlava86 (Post 418498)
videos please.

I'll see what I can do, we are just having fun and at this point we have just passed fun. Actually I'm cracking up, what a difference. I don't care about all the hype, just thought I'd share. I'm not a vendor or looking to sell it but at this point, WOW.

subatoy 09-03-2012 01:30 AM

I've always loved this set up on cars.
back when I had my 370Z there was a company developing this same setup and did great. the sounds is simply AMAZING!

I was about to purchase this system for my car until I bumped into an article that explained why this system is SO BAD for the car.
I remember it saying that the back pressure was huge!

anyways just try to research it.
Also I was always paranoic about water going into the air filter
and I was afraid as to how easy it is for someone to steal this from the car anywhere.

Istill think this is a great job! lets see more picture from under the car and videos!

subatoy 09-03-2012 01:34 AM

no intercooler???????!!

czar07 09-03-2012 02:20 AM

how much does all that piping weigh?

JoeBoxer 09-03-2012 02:26 AM

http://ststurbo.com/
These guys have been doing it for a while.

I suggest watching the 350/370Z videos they sound amazing.

Gen 09-03-2012 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadstercycle (Post 418493)
Where Don's turbo mounts is where the cat used to be.

Do you happen to know if any of the currently available kits retain the stock cats?

Thongpocket 09-03-2012 02:49 AM

Does that sticker say have fun hurt nuns?!!?! lol

Tradewind 09-03-2012 05:22 AM

Take care, if STS hear you have done this expect a lawyer to be knocking on your door soon. They have pursued single individuals here in Australia on precisely this point, your own home grown rear mount turbo system

You best become even more stealthy

AVOturboworld 09-03-2012 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tradewind (Post 418848)
Take care, if STS hear you have done this expect a lawyer to be knocking on your door soon. They have pursued single individuals here in Australia on precisely this point, your own home grown rear mount turbo system

Given that they only have (or claim they have) U.S. patents, I find that interesting that they try to go after individuals in other countries, given that there's not a single legal leg to stand on. Though I wager it's a simple form letter sent out whenever anybody posts anything in regards to a rear mount turbocharger.

RedLeader 09-03-2012 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thongpocket (Post 418689)

I think it says "hunt moms" but its hard to read.

bakerr6 09-03-2012 10:06 AM

wouldn't matter anyways, sts went after a company that I had worked with before for a similar situation, and they only have patents on the idea of a rear mount turbo. If they do not have a system for that car before you do, technically, they cannot claim any damages, as they do not have a product in that market segment

bakerr6 09-03-2012 10:07 AM

also it only applies to kits that are for sale

fred_boosted 09-03-2012 10:28 AM

Road//Race did a rear turbo on their race 4G eclipse, you never going to pass emission test with this on.

The looks good. Any dyno ?

subatoy 09-03-2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tradewind (Post 418848)

You best become even more stealthy

I deal with patents all day because of my line of work.
Unless this guy is planning on selling the kit there is nothing the patent owner can do about it if if he were in the US.
I can take any existing patent and build what they claim to spec and it doesn't matter until you want to make profit out of it.

GreenHell 09-03-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subatoy (Post 419041)
I deal with patents all day because of my line of work.
Unless this guy is planning on selling the kit there is nothing the patent owner can do about it if if he were in the US.
I can take any existing patent and build what they claim to spec and it doesn't matter until you want to make profit out of it.

Not true. A patent grants the right to exclude others from making, using, selling, offering for sale, or importing the patented invention.

There's a research exemption clause that allows entities to experiment with the patented invention by building it but that's still an affirmative defense.

jeebus 09-03-2012 12:35 PM

Cool idea. What are you doing for tuning? You do need to hit a dyno or a drag strip though. Something to quantify all your effort.

JoeBoxer 09-03-2012 01:38 PM

sts has a universal kit for $2k who wants to be the first? or i guess it would be second...

Matador 09-03-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kestrel (Post 418859)
I think it says "hunt moms" but its hard to read.

Have fun, Hurt none.

:facepalm:

subatoy 09-03-2012 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenHell (Post 419129)
Not true. A patent grants the right to exclude others from making, using, selling, offering for sale, or importing the patented invention.

There's a research exemption clause that allows entities to experiment with the patented invention by building it but that's still an affirmative defense.

no profit= no damage, so whats the point?
Also if this patent is a US patent and this person is
outside the US there is NOTHING the patent holder can do.

Roadstercycle 09-03-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subatoy (Post 418565)
no intercooler???????!!

At 4 lbs of boost and the aluminum tubing run back that does some cooling an intercooler was deemed unnecessary for this. The turbo is in the back so it is not getting heat soaked from the engine compartment.

Sportsguy83 09-03-2012 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subatoy (Post 419395)
no profit= no damage, so whats the point?
Also if this patent is a US patent and this person is
outside the US there is NOTHING the patent holder can do.

Agree with you no profit no damage, but to correct he is in CA.

Roadstercycle 09-03-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thongpocket (Post 418689)

It says Have Fun / Hurt None. Which translated means, have all the fun you want but don't hurt anyone doing it.

Roadstercycle 09-03-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by czar07 (Post 418650)
how much does all that piping weigh?

Actually the whole system weighed less than the stock exhaust. The turbo itself weighed a lot less than the stock muffler.

JoeBoxer 09-03-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadstercycle (Post 419404)
At 4 lbs of boost and the aluminum tubing run back that does some cooling an intercooler was deemed unnecessary for this. The turbo is in the back so it is not getting heat soaked from the engine compartment.

That seems reasonable, what are you using for tuning? I wonder what John could do with a setup like this on E85?

Roadstercycle 09-03-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeBoxer (Post 419423)
That seems reasonable, what are you using for tuning? I wonder what John could do with a setup like this on E85?

I'm using John Visconti for tuning. As far as E85, I've only heard rumors for getting it in Ca.

Opposed 09-03-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeBoxer (Post 419423)

I think he was tuned by John if I remember correctly.

Roadstercycle 09-03-2012 03:48 PM

Wow, I did not know that a rear turbo unit would bring out the lawyers. I feel like I designed a crime scene. I googled rear turbo and it seems everyone and their Grandmother around the US has pictures and every setup possible. I saw a couple STS systems but most were home grown. They are everywhere. Is Don's turbo considered rear since it's rear of the engine in the exhaust? What does rear mean? More than half way back? Anyway I'll play, oops, experiment with this setup for my own enjoyment and if I hear from STS I'll see what has to be done. I'll just consider it as my resume for a job there. Maybe I can patent a roof mounted turbo. I like it.

Hotlava86 09-03-2012 03:53 PM

still no video...

Roadstercycle 09-03-2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AVOturboworld (Post 418853)
Given that they only have (or claim they have) U.S. patents, I find that interesting that they try to go after individuals in other countries, given that there's not a single legal leg to stand on. Though I wager it's a simple form letter sent out whenever anybody posts anything in regards to a rear mount turbocharger.

It looks like there Patent is mostly based on the rear oiling system to and from the turbo, since I'm running water cooling and no oil pump I'm not sure they have an issue with me.

2gnt2wrx 09-03-2012 04:43 PM

This is interesting, would there be any benefit to attaching cooling fins to the pipe? I know at 4psi it wont matter but at some point you will want to turn up the boost.