Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   FRS Rear Turbo (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16355)

JoeBoxer 09-03-2012 02:26 AM

http://ststurbo.com/
These guys have been doing it for a while.

I suggest watching the 350/370Z videos they sound amazing.

Gen 09-03-2012 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadstercycle (Post 418493)
Where Don's turbo mounts is where the cat used to be.

Do you happen to know if any of the currently available kits retain the stock cats?

Thongpocket 09-03-2012 02:49 AM

Does that sticker say have fun hurt nuns?!!?! lol

Tradewind 09-03-2012 05:22 AM

Take care, if STS hear you have done this expect a lawyer to be knocking on your door soon. They have pursued single individuals here in Australia on precisely this point, your own home grown rear mount turbo system

You best become even more stealthy

AVOturboworld 09-03-2012 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tradewind (Post 418848)
Take care, if STS hear you have done this expect a lawyer to be knocking on your door soon. They have pursued single individuals here in Australia on precisely this point, your own home grown rear mount turbo system

Given that they only have (or claim they have) U.S. patents, I find that interesting that they try to go after individuals in other countries, given that there's not a single legal leg to stand on. Though I wager it's a simple form letter sent out whenever anybody posts anything in regards to a rear mount turbocharger.

RedLeader 09-03-2012 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thongpocket (Post 418689)
Does that sticker say have fun hurt nuns?!!?! lol

I think it says "hunt moms" but its hard to read.

bakerr6 09-03-2012 10:06 AM

wouldn't matter anyways, sts went after a company that I had worked with before for a similar situation, and they only have patents on the idea of a rear mount turbo. If they do not have a system for that car before you do, technically, they cannot claim any damages, as they do not have a product in that market segment

bakerr6 09-03-2012 10:07 AM

also it only applies to kits that are for sale

fred_boosted 09-03-2012 10:28 AM

Road//Race did a rear turbo on their race 4G eclipse, you never going to pass emission test with this on.

The looks good. Any dyno ?

subatoy 09-03-2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tradewind (Post 418848)

You best become even more stealthy

I deal with patents all day because of my line of work.
Unless this guy is planning on selling the kit there is nothing the patent owner can do about it if if he were in the US.
I can take any existing patent and build what they claim to spec and it doesn't matter until you want to make profit out of it.

GreenHell 09-03-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subatoy (Post 419041)
I deal with patents all day because of my line of work.
Unless this guy is planning on selling the kit there is nothing the patent owner can do about it if if he were in the US.
I can take any existing patent and build what they claim to spec and it doesn't matter until you want to make profit out of it.

Not true. A patent grants the right to exclude others from making, using, selling, offering for sale, or importing the patented invention.

There's a research exemption clause that allows entities to experiment with the patented invention by building it but that's still an affirmative defense.

jeebus 09-03-2012 12:35 PM

Cool idea. What are you doing for tuning? You do need to hit a dyno or a drag strip though. Something to quantify all your effort.

JoeBoxer 09-03-2012 01:38 PM

sts has a universal kit for $2k who wants to be the first? or i guess it would be second...

Matador 09-03-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kestrel (Post 418859)
I think it says "hunt moms" but its hard to read.

Have fun, Hurt none.

:facepalm: