Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   FRS Rear Turbo (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16355)

kioton32 05-09-2013 01:50 AM

I want to chime in on the patent situation for everyone's safety... It's not illegal to build your own rear mounted turbo bit if you were to give any advice to anyone else on how to build it or help anyone else build it then its considered intellectual property theft of a registered patent and they can come after you and the person you helped. I was the person that did the tuning for STS on their twin rear mounted system for the ls series motors... Pontiac GTO, Corvette, Camaro, Trans Am... And so on... If o told anyone how to build it I would have been in a load of trouble... Even after I built my own.

suaveflooder 05-09-2013 02:34 AM

Interested to know what became of this as well.

glorydays 05-09-2013 08:13 PM

Well he wanted to sell me the kit but I decided to do my own. Never heard about it failing he just said he was moving on to a new project. Guess I better go catless..

FRSRAVEN 05-09-2013 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kioton32 (Post 921479)
I want to chime in on the patent situation for everyone's safety... It's not illegal to build your own rear mounted turbo bit if you were to give any advice to anyone else on how to build it or help anyone else build it then its considered intellectual property theft of a registered patent and they can come after you and the person you helped. I was the person that did the tuning for STS on their twin rear mounted system for the ls series motors... Pontiac GTO, Corvette, Camaro, Trans Am... And so on... If o told anyone how to build it I would have been in a load of trouble... Even after I built my own.

Did you sign a non-disclosure agreement when working on STS systems? If so, then yes, you would get in trouble for violating the terms of the NDA should you share knowledge covered by the NDA.

With regards to the rest of this STS insanity, this is nothing new from that company, and each time everyone collectively tells them to pound sand. There is not a damn thing they can do to someone who decides to fabricate their own remote mounted turbo setup for their own personal use. They can send nasty threatening emails, but that's it.

Also, why would anyone want to go with a remote mounted turbo? Its too much of a compromise, which is why it has always been a niche market, and hence why STS swooped in securing patents (because none else gave a damn enough to justify a patent).

I'm going to defer a nice quote, which pretty much sums up this entire issue. Was taken off of another car forum from years ago.

"Patents refer to the actual act of producing something specific in a very specific manner, not the application or distribution of the idea. Those are further counts of patent law, beyond what they are claiming.
Basically they would have to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that there was no way that anyone in the world could have remote mounted a turbo on any vehicle before it became common knowledge that they were doing so.
They would also have to prove that the application in question is in direct violation of EVERY term of the patent in question and not just a partial or evolved concept, since extensive revision = new idea in the eyes of the law.
STS is screwed if they try to go forward against anyone in something like this. Remote mounted turbos and rear mounted turbos instead of mufflers have been put on cars since the late 70's in racing applications and it is too broad a stretch to believe that no one ever thought of applying this concept to the street until they came along.
Any lawyer good enough to pull it off for them would cost them 3 years profit in the process. i can't see them being that stupid."

Floggin Tires 05-10-2013 09:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 36830

Avo1789 07-11-2013 01:33 AM

Updates? Need a BUMPP

Baramzisyan 01-23-2014 05:12 PM

bump

Avo1789 06-18-2015 05:58 PM

Kind of disappointed STS didnt follow through marketing or updating some information to us...sounded promising in the beginning.

Cross 06-18-2015 06:13 PM

Pretty sure they went out of business and the Prototype I had was one of the few to actually be used.

Despite all the claims of lag and issues I love the kit and it was very responsive and quick. I would consider doing it again but I could not stop wanting more and more power so this time around I bought SC kit and just left it at that.

Wow just realized this was from 2012, so I guess a little more information since I never posted here.

1) I had the Prototype built in the thread on my vehicle.
2) I added an intercooler, 700cc Injectors and went over 15psi with it and it was a rocket I loved it. (E85)
3) Mike at Moto-East did my tuning.
4) Last I heard STS went out of business but they did finalize a kit it was just horribly priced in my opinion.
5) The kit the person made here (that I bought) was very well done and honestly I would and should do it again but I couldn't stop pushing for a little more power so before I ever think of doing so again I need a built motor.
6) My motor blew but it appeared to suffer from the TSB concerning Cam Position while around 5psi after a run and maxed timing. I am in the middle of a lawsuit (Have been for about a year now) concerning that.

Personally it was an attention grabber, the lag before the intercooler was non existent and after while it was there it was nothing to be overly concerned with as so many imply without actually having used this setup. (I have used it on the FRS and a Trans Am)
The Oiless Turbo by Comp was amazing and another forum member is using it now. I would recommend it to anyone and will be using them should I go this route again because I am just not satisfied with my new SC'd Setup.

I do have a video and a few pictures let me find them.