Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine Swaps (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   2UR-GSE discussion thread (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117921)

BlueLine 04-23-2017 03:13 PM

2UR-GSE discussion thread

I am currently thinking of an engine swap. At first I was just going to turbo the FA20, however after looking into it a bit further I want to explore this route.

My current thoughts are getting the 2UR from a used ISF mating it to a 6 speed V161/v160 transmission.

Run a motec m150 and upgrade the rear diff to a non slip.

I will most likely need to make a drysump for clearance issues.

Start shooting ideas good or bad now

spitfire481 04-23-2017 03:49 PM

The only bad is cost lol. It would be an awesome setup no doubt. Using an m150 should be no problem for the engine and frs/Brz body control

BlueLine 04-23-2017 06:49 PM

Engine is 6-7,000
Transmission 3,000
Motec 5,000 (including all the extra bits)
Plus tune time
Clutch 300 (dual sprung ceramic puck)
Dry Sump ?

spitfire481 04-23-2017 09:53 PM

I'll take every working v160 you can get me for 3k each lol. Are you going to build the engine harness, body side harness, write the motec firmware, etc? Not trying to doubt, but it adds up very fast. I know how much we have invested in just getting the oem features working with custom m1 firmware.

BlueLine 04-23-2017 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spitfire481 (Post 2897592)
I'll take every working v160 you can get me for 3k each lol. Are you going to build the engine harness, body side harness, write the motec firmware, etc? Not trying to doubt, but it adds up very fast. I know how much we have invested in just getting the oem features working with custom m1 firmware.

Sent you a PM. I will build my integration harness based off of their unit. I have a network of people I have met in the years working on cars that all off specialized skills or knowledge in these areas. I'm not going to write the firmware however my friend will.

"Speed cost money how fast can you afford to go" I believe is the quote.

Manji 04-25-2017 10:15 PM

Box will be more like 7000
You also need a custom bell and fly
Clutch is light
Box shifter won't reach hole, will need to extend
Driveshaft

Motor will need ds and new intake mani
Headers
Consideration to coolant flow path
Rad will be fine but may need adjustment as crank pulley will be very close or touching

Your ecu budget I would double.

I would love to see it done but seeing as you're us based I would go LS

BlueLine 05-01-2017 10:28 PM

Don't know why my emails are not coming through even though I turn on the instant notification.

MANJI I was looking to talk with you on FB messenger,KIK OR another app about your build.

I can get the front clip from a MKIV Supra for about 15k or less.

ECU budget doesn't include dyno time that's just raw cost

Headers I will have to sort once the engine is in place. However that will be a complete exhaust build

Thought about the LS but really want this engine

I have a tig welder extending stuffcamd making mock up pieces not a world ending

Drive shaft I was gone to have cut down and rebalanced or have custom one made once engine is in.

I can get custom clutches fairly cheap from one supplier I have.

My budget for the parts realistically will be 20-30k labor will be mostly free. I was trying to start getting a rough price list going in post #3

So keep on shooting me idea or areas to be concerned over planning is 90% of the build process

BlueLine 05-07-2017 02:16 PM

So I'm buying a spare chassis that I will use as a jig. This will allow me to experiment with out taking down my daily driver. Now to find a good cheap car that the front hasn't been whacked before

wparsons 05-09-2017 11:56 AM

Non-slip diff? You mean limited slip, like that stock diffs we already have?

BlueLine 05-14-2017 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wparsons (Post 2907145)
Non-slip diff? You mean limited slip, like that stock diffs we already have?

Yes

Limited slip

wparsons 05-15-2017 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueLine (Post 2910277)
Yes

Limited slip

The stock diff is already a good Torsen limited slip...

BlueLine 05-15-2017 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wparsons (Post 2910450)
The stock diff is already a good Torsen limited slip...

Mine is not , or it's worn out from the previous owner

However, I think I'll wait to do this and build my 2GRFSE swap first, I will still do this later.

Watch for that build thread this summer...

wparsons 05-15-2017 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueLine (Post 2910504)
Mine is not , or it's worn out from the previous owner

However, I think I'll wait to do this and build my 2GRFSE swap first, I will still do this later.

Watch for that build thread this summer...

Torsen's are gear based, and don't wear out. If it's broken, you would be hearing gears crunching/rattling all the time.

Why do you think it's not working?

BlueLine 05-15-2017 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wparsons (Post 2910529)
Torsen's are gear based, and don't wear out. If it's broken, you would be hearing gears crunching/rattling all the time.

Why do you think it's not working?

Which ever tire has the least amount of traction spins the one on the solid surface ground will not move. The car does not have one or it's not working and or the PO removed it. I bought the car from a used car dealer and have found several little things not quite right.

Anyhow thanks for the replies. Like I said this project will be placed on hold for the time being please stay tuned for updates about another build.