Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   MY17 fuel pump chirping (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111422)

Impureclient 10-07-2016 05:20 PM

MY17 fuel pump chirping

I know this is more of an Issues/Warranty/Recalls/TSB thread kind of question but I would imagine most new 17' owners aren't frequenting that subforum much...yet.
So is this not an issue at all for you new owners or is it still there?

rkaywhodat 10-07-2016 09:48 PM

Not yet..hopefully never using Ultramar 91 No ethanol and Shell only thus far.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Tcoat 10-07-2016 10:03 PM

The changes to the 17 fuel pump go way beyond the pump itself. With the completely different cam stroke and pump they have probably killed the crickets. This is not good news for the pre 17s though since a simple pump swap will not work and probably can't even be done anyway since the cam is changed. Odds are they will do nothing to correct the pre 17s at this point.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attac...7&d=1475141632

WWFT86 10-08-2016 01:41 AM

Don't believe I heard it yet on my MY17 BRZ. I've been running Shell 91 exclusively.

JD001 10-08-2016 02:28 AM

For those who are not driving MY17 cars are excluded from voting therefore can't see which way you guys are swinging...

PetrolioBenzina 10-08-2016 04:05 AM

No chirp here, and I would not care at all if it did.

JD001 10-08-2016 05:01 AM

Out in MY14 yesterday, outside temp 13/14c and the crickets were silent.. perhaps in hibernation.

PetrolioBenzina 10-08-2016 05:32 AM

I never understood why this was such a big deal.

nextcar 10-08-2016 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 2770333)
The changes to the 17 fuel pump go way beyond the pump itself. With the completely different cam stroke and pump they have probably killed the crickets. This is not good news for the pre 17s though since a simple pump swap will not work and probably can't even be done anyway since the cam is changed. Odds are they will do nothing to correct the pre 17s at this point.

As the person who (I believe) first posted the cam shaft differences as a possible reason why the new fuel pump may not work on our older cars, I feel obligated to add the following:

The part numbering of the new pump indicates that it should be interchangeable. That said, even though the new pump should work on our older cars it may be that it still chirps due to the larger cam lobe on our camshafts.

Frankly I am not bothered by the crickets, I've kind of grown used to them so I would not bother trying the new pump unless my current pump fails. I am very interested though in whether it gets rid of the crickets from a curiosity standpoint!

extrashaky 10-08-2016 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD001 (Post 2770476)
For those who are not driving MY17 cars are excluded from voting therefore can't see which way you guys are swinging...

Yes you can. Click "View Poll Results" in the lower right hand corner of the poll. Or you can just click here:

View Poll Results

Tcoat 10-08-2016 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nextcar (Post 2770827)
As the person who (I believe) first posted the cam shaft differences as a possible reason why the new fuel pump may not work on our older cars, I feel obligated to add the following:

The part numbering of the new pump indicates that it should be interchangeable. That said, even though the new pump should work on our older cars it may be that it still chirps due to the larger cam lobe on our camshafts.

Frankly I am not bothered by the crickets, I've kind of grown used to them so I would not bother trying the new pump unless my current pump fails. I am very interested though in whether it gets rid of the crickets from a curiosity standpoint!

I am not convinced it would work or at least not properly. Both the cam and the pump were changed to work together. If the new pump is used with the old cam there could be too much lift since the old ones (according to the info) had a longer stroke. Of course the reduced cam lift could make up for that but things are deviating from the design specs in at least two areas so I would not try it. Sure sombody will at some point though and then we will know for sure.

PetrolioBenzina 10-09-2016 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 2770854)
I am not convinced it would work or at least not properly. Both the cam and the pump were changed to work together. If the new pump is used with the old cam there could be too much lift since the old ones (according to the info) had a longer stroke. Of course the reduced cam lift could make up for that but things are deviating from the design specs in at least two areas so I would not try it. Sure sombody will at some point though and then we will know for sure.

I really want someone to try this, in a watch the possible train-wreck sort of way.

Somerandom18 10-09-2016 09:21 AM

Just hit 1k miles and no crickets so far.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

nextcar 10-09-2016 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PetrolioBenzina (Post 2770978)
I really want someone to try this, in a watch the possible train-wreck sort of way.

#totaled
More parts for me!:happyanim: