Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   The SX2 tires seem just too good to be true... (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144434)

Jstyle 03-06-2021 05:40 PM

The SX2 tires seem just too good to be true...

So someone please correct me if I’m wrong or misunderstanding something but everyone is saying the SX2’s are amazing track day capable tires. In 215’s at 80 dollars a corner it just seems to good to be true. At half the price of some RE71’s or the like... What am I missing?

strat61caster 03-06-2021 07:00 PM

They're half as quick as re71r's, they're not sticky tires, they're cheap and durable, like a low buck RS4, a little better then the OE michelins, not as quick as PS4S, etc. Good bang for the buck, won't set a record unless they're the spec tire or all the quicker tires are outlawed.

AT-JeffT 03-06-2021 07:44 PM

I think they have been discontinued. It appears they have been succeeded by the SX2 RS. Not a lot of info on the SX2 RS.

EndlessAzure 03-06-2021 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jstyle (Post 3411728)
So someone please correct me if I’m wrong or misunderstanding something but everyone is saying the SX2’s are amazing track day capable tires. In 215’s at 80 dollars a corner it just seems to good to be true. At half the price of some RE71’s or the like... What am I missing?

Yeah they are good for learning and lapping (predictable, consistent, durable, cheap), but not super grippy.

deca 03-08-2021 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strat61caster (Post 3411745)
They're half as quick as re71r's, they're not sticky tires, they're cheap and durable, like a low buck RS4, a little better then the OE michelins, not as quick as PS4S, etc. Good bang for the buck, won't set a record unless they're the spec tire or all the quicker tires are outlawed.

Is their performance actually comparable to the RS4? I was under the impression that the SX2 was considerably slower, if they're close I'd be tempted to try them for 86 cup.

Goingnowherefast 03-08-2021 04:20 PM

Quote:

LOL. Please don't go thinking the SX2's are a replacement for 200TW tires. They are good tires for the price and what they are, but they shouldn't even be used in the same sentence as RE71R's.

CSG Mike 03-08-2021 05:42 PM

Quote:

They're fantastic learning tires. If you want to buy a faster lap time, buy a faster tire.

Definitely a right tool for the right job type of scenario here.

Jstyle 03-08-2021 05:57 PM

This has been a huge help. I’m def gonna stick with the sx2 in the near term and get to the point where my tires are lowing me down instead of it covering up mistakes.

Thanks guys!

strat61caster 03-08-2021 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deca (Post 3412145)
Is their performance actually comparable to the RS4? I was under the impression that the SX2 was considerably slower, if they're close I'd be tempted to try them for 86 cup.

I'd say your impression is correct.

timurrrr 03-09-2021 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AT-JeffT (Post 3411749)
I think they have been discontinued. It appears they have been succeeded by the SX2 RS. Not a lot of info on the SX2 RS.

No, you can still buy new SX2's.
They were hard to find years before SX2 RSs were announced :D

If you participate in 86DC or 86 Cup, the admins should be able to provide you with info on how to order them directly from GT Radial.
I got my set from them in January, the date code was 0620.

jflogerzi 03-18-2021 01:09 AM

I have been running them on my twin. Fantastic value tire. Tell where your gonna find a better set of all around tire for 450$ shipped to your door :)

Racenut 03-18-2021 03:18 AM

SX2's are about value. Predictable and will take some track abuse. For street use, they have more grip than you need unless you're driving like a douche on public roads. I like them so far, if I start worrying about lap times at track days, I'll try a stickier tire. But as long as my kid is faster than I am, it's not about the tire. But for a daily with occaisional track fun, hard to beat for the money.

CSG Mike 03-18-2021 12:12 PM

^ These guys get it!

In particular, if you're running 86CUP stock or street class, where almost everyone runs the SX2, it makes it way, way cheaper for everyone to compete and/or have a basis for comparison, since you don't have to worry about tire grip, or who's got sticker tires and who's got heat cycled tires.

https://www.86cup.us/

timurrrr 03-18-2021 06:14 PM

One more downside to balance the "too good to be true" sentiment: they are noisy on the street.
Not as noisy as RE71R, but in the same ballpark.
Not the end of the world though.