Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Cosworth Stage 2 Supercharger Install (Dyno,Tech,Photos,Videos) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85019)

RallySport Direct 03-19-2015 12:23 PM

Cosworth Stage 2 Supercharger Install (Dyno,Tech,Photos,Videos)

Here at RallySport Direct, we have installed the Cosworth stage 2 kit. In this post we would like to share our results of this installation with photos, dyno numbers, as well as videos.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn_5xizhWlQ[/ame]

The goal of the Cosworth Stage 2 kit was to create an efficient means of gaining horsepower, increased throttle response, while still remaining to be a reliable street driving vehicle. The kit comes complete with an arsenal of parts ready for installation.

This includes:

- Positive Displacement Supercharger
- Cosworth Branded Intake Manifold
- Cosworth High Efficiency Radiator & Air / Water Intercoolers
- Pump for Air/Water Intercoolers
- Supercharger Inlet Assembly
- Intercooler/Radiator hoses
- Cosworth Front Drive Belt
- Wiring loom
- Pressure sensor
- Installation Hardware Including Fittings, Brackets, Etc.

Since we installed the earlier stages of the Cosworth packages, we had the EcuTek installed. We are currently running the off the shelf map from Cosworth.

Here are the results:

Event: Dyno Tune/ Product Testing
Ambient Temp: 52.3F
Ambient Pressure: 25.72 in-Hg
Humidity: 28%
Elevation: 4,450 ft
Weather: sunny
Car: 2014 Scion FR-S
Tuner: Cosworth off the shelf tune on Mode 2
Dyno Info: Dyno Jet
Transmission: 6spd
Gear: 4th
Peak HP at RPM 93 Octane : 261.9WHP @ 7400RPM
Peak Torque at RPM 93 Octane: 206.6WTQ @ 5200RPM
Baseline hp/tq on Mustang Dyno: 150WHP/114TQ
Fuel: 93 octane with 10% ethanol

Mode 1 = 91 octane fuel.
Mode 2 = 93 octane fuel and increased rev limit in 1st 4 gears
Mode 3 = Same as Mode 2 with sharper pedal map and autoblip on a downshift
Mode 4 = Same as Mode 3 with flat foot shift and launch control

Overall we are very pleased with this kit. What do you guys think?

RallySport Direct 03-19-2015 12:27 PM

Couple more shots:

http://rallysportdirect.smugmug.com/...01media-X2.jpg

http://rallysportdirect.smugmug.com/..._6492media.jpg

Dezoris 03-19-2015 12:52 PM

Of course the way this kit is packaged is highly desirable, results are what I'd expect for a reliable trackish setup given the price. However it sounds like this is a 100+db exhaust setup. Sounds horrendous for street car. What is their solution for oil cooling for motor and for SC?

BRZoomTX 03-19-2015 01:36 PM

Still a very noticeable torque dip/jump, and peak torque isn't reached until 5k RPM. Not really impressive for a "Stage 2" roots blower even on the small FA20.

RallySport Direct 03-19-2015 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezoris (Post 2175921)
Of course the way this kit is packaged is highly desirable, results are what I'd expect for a reliable trackish setup given the price. However it sounds like this is a 100+db exhaust setup. Sounds horrendous for street car. What is their solution for oil cooling for motor and for SC?

They do not provide any oil cooler in the kit, however this should work with almost any aftermarket oil cooler. We may do a oil cooler in the future as well just to make sure we keep oil temps down :)

Thanks,
Rick

sw20kosh 03-19-2015 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [Ron] (Post 2175985)
Still a very noticeable torque dip/jump, and peak torque isn't reached until 5k RPM. Not really impressive for a "Stage 2" roots blower even on the small FA20.

Compared to what exactly? The sprintex twin screw which is supposedly more efficient in design only makes 225-240 whp on pump gas. Centrifugals which are more efficient make 250-270 whp on pump gas. Note that the baseline on this dyno is very low which means on a dynojet these numbers would likely be higher...

The "torque dip" of which you speak is maybe 5 ft-lbs? Noticeable?

Yoda 03-19-2015 04:19 PM

Looks so stock like but the cost tho...

BRZoomTX 03-19-2015 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sw20kosh (Post 2176231)
Compared to what exactly? The sprintex twin screw which is supposedly more efficient in design only makes 225-240 whp on pump gas. Centrifugals which are more efficient make 250-270 whp on pump gas. Note that the baseline on this dyno is very low which means on a dynojet these numbers would likely be higher...

The "torque dip" of which you speak is maybe 5 ft-lbs? Noticeable?

You can see the torque going nowhere from the 3 to 3.5k RPM range. This is part of the torque dip seen on stock cars. Most applications smooth this out better but you can clearly see torque spiking after the dip / stall in power.

sato 03-19-2015 04:48 PM

That torque dip looks like the Nameless header torque curve; a lot of torque at 4000rpm. Still, it still shows that by 3100-3200rpm(ish) there is approximately more than the 114 ft-lbs of torque according to the baseline numbers, and does ~200tq from 4k to 6k... not bad. I also like these numbers a lot better than the earlier Cosworth numbers of around 290ish hp from their engine dyno (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)?

Have to agree with Dezoris on the loudness of the whole exhaust system. I know superchargers don't muffle exhaust like turbo systems do, but he was also supercharged.

Nevertheless, nice of you to post dyno info and video. Although you did post baseline numbers, the baseline graph would be nice.

Again, thanks for posting.

BRZZZZZZZZZZ 03-19-2015 05:20 PM

Maybe I missed it, what PSI was that at?

The Racers Line 03-19-2015 10:00 PM

They said the baseline was done on a mustang, they didn't say that the pulls with the supercharger were done on a mustang.

The current numbers are consistent for an a basic FI kit on an FA20 on a dynojet on 6-7psi maybe 8psi. You'd be looking at around 220-230whp if they had done the supercharger pulls on the same mustang they did their baseline on.

If those supercharger numbers were from that same mustang, I would be pretty impressed. 111whp gain?!

The Racers Line 03-19-2015 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sw20kosh (Post 2176929)
Neal, A baseline is useless if not done on the same dyno (or at least the same type of dyno). I think RallySportDirect is aware of this?... I hope... ;)

All the "baseline" dynos I have seen are done on the same dyno, I don't see why this would be any different.

I agree that the baseline should come from the same dyno, but if you watch the video and look at the first pic, you see the car on the AWD dyno in the picture(most likely the mustang) and then the car on a 2wd dyno in the video(what I assume is the dynojet)

Again, Im just being skeptical, because 111whp gain is a lot for a kit that claims only an "80Hp power increase with Stage 1.3 exhaust"...:party0030:

EDIT:

I re-read again, looks like I just skimmed too fast. All the info is there.

Event: Dyno Tune/ Product Testing
Ambient Temp: 52.3F
Ambient Pressure: 25.72 in-Hg
Humidity: 28%
Elevation: 4,450 ft
Weather: sunny
Car: 2014 Scion FR-S
Tuner: Cosworth off the shelf tune on Mode 2
Dyno Info: Dyno Jet
Transmission: 6spd
Gear: 4th
Peak HP at RPM 93 Octane : 261.9WHP @ 7400RPM
Peak Torque at RPM 93 Octane: 206.6WTQ @ 5200RPM
Baseline hp/tq on Mustang Dyno: 150WHP/114TQ
Fuel: 93 octane with 10% ethanol

2pointSLOW86 03-19-2015 11:53 PM

Is this kit capable of 300whp? Im just curious if any supercharger can make those numbers without choking out up top

sw20kosh 03-20-2015 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal@EQtuning (Post 2176953)
I agree that the baseline should come from the same dyno

Yeah I see that now, different dynos...Yep their baseline number is useless.