Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hit a curb after swinging it, what parts to replace. (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150114)

blakkoutdarko 06-16-2022 04:05 PM

Hit a curb after swinging it, what parts to replace.

3 Attachment(s)
If you live in South Florida you know how bipolar the weather can be so while it was lightly drizzling i was leaving a Target parking lot and tried to swing a corner that i usually do every time i leave the store. In the end i ended up with a broken Rays Gram Lights 57DR and a bent passenger side front control arm. When taking the wheel off it gives the hub sort of a negative camber. Then when putting the spare on i was hearing sort of a scraping noise..not metal to metal scraping but sort of like it’s rubbing against something in the wheel well. Not to sure what my friend couldn’t see what it was hitting either. But so far i know for a fact i need a new front LCA, any brand recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

dragoontwo 06-16-2022 04:12 PM

Subaru 20202CA002. $174.26 + shipping.

Toyota SU00310055. $179.65 + shipping

gkubed 06-16-2022 05:15 PM

Time to upgrade to SPL.

Grady 06-17-2022 07:47 AM

You are the only one that can answer that. Take it apart and inspect for damage, replace any part that is damaged.

Tcoat 06-17-2022 08:29 AM

Check the hub. The weird noise you hear could be bits of smashed bearing.

Grady 06-17-2022 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3529741)
Check the hub. The weird noise you hear could be bits of smashed bearing.

Yes, hubs are tough but a hit like that can dent the race and you will have an early failure.

blakkoutdarko 06-17-2022 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grady (Post 3529761)
Yes, hubs are tough but a hit like that can dent the race and you will have an early failure.

dent the race? what’s that?

Tcoat 06-17-2022 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blakkoutdarko (Post 3529780)
dent the race? what’s that?

The part that the actual bearing components roll on. Even a slight dent, split, or even a crack can screw it up. They don't take side impacts well. Damage to a bearing will give a sort of swishing sound much like you described.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...of_bearing.jpg

RedReplicant 06-17-2022 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gkubed (Post 3529658)
Time to upgrade to SPL.

Nah, leave the weak stamped steel for the next time he does it. Better to replace an arm than a subframe.

blakkoutdarko 06-17-2022 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3529783)
The part that the actual bearing components roll on. Even a slight dent, split, or even a crack can screw it up. They don't take side impacts well. Damage to a bearing will give a sort of swishing sound much like you described.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...of_bearing.jpg

Ok Tcoat bear with me, i’ve done a lot of work around this car and that’s involving replacing all the stock studs with ARPs and i don’t recall seeing that. Where can i find that “race” or “bearing” on the car? The wheel hub? Wanna check it before the sun goes down

blakkoutdarko 06-17-2022 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedReplicant (Post 3529814)
Nah, leave the weak stamped steel for the next time he does it. Better to replace an arm than a subframe.

Honestly not sure if that was a slick joke or if SPL doesn’t make quality control arms, haven’t heard anything fishy about them but always open to hear the good, bad and ugly

RedReplicant 06-17-2022 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blakkoutdarko (Post 3529848)
Honestly not sure if that was a slick joke or if SPL doesn’t make quality control arms, haven’t heard anything fishy about them but always open to hear the good, bad and ugly

My point was that the stock stamped steel arms will bend in an impact, but generally preserve the subframe. Something like a SPL may very well transfer that impact force into the subframe and bend it too.

Tcoat 06-17-2022 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blakkoutdarko (Post 3529846)
Ok Tcoat bear with me, i’ve done a lot of work around this car and that’s involving replacing all the stock studs with ARPs and i don’t recall seeing that. Where can i find that “race” or “bearing” on the car? The wheel hub? Wanna check it before the sun goes down

The race an bearing are inside the hub. Take the wheel off and spin just the hub. If the bearing is damaged you should know pretty quickly.

Ultramaroon 06-18-2022 02:05 PM

Personally, I'd just spin the wheel and listen. If you hear anything at all, even the slightest sound, the hub assembly is toast. Can't stress enough that bearings MUST run dead silent.