Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Advice on Used BRZ Hunting (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144354)

jello_fello 02-27-2021 05:47 PM

Advice on Used BRZ Hunting

Hey everyone,

Been a long time lurker on the forums. The advice and stories here have been insight and inspiring!

Anyway, I finally reached the point where I can try pulling the trigger on one and so I popped by a local dealership to take a used 2015 model out for a spin. The handling is amazing but the noise level both inside and outside is horrendous. At idle I'd need to raise my voice a little to hold a conversation. Tolerable. But at around 2000-4000rpm... in gear... down the freeway... it's like trying to talk in a club. On inspection it looks like the previous owner did something to the pipes. Didn't get a chance to look under the hood. Dealership doesn't do Subarus so they were super vague on the details.

Is my hypothesis on it being a pipe issue reasonable or is what I'm hearing the actual 'boxer engine growl' that people speak of. Honestly... it sounded like the car was an aspiring metal head :party0030: Also in the same vein... is this something people do to their cars on purpose? (not that i have any personal thing against it)

Thanks!

soundman98 02-27-2021 09:08 PM

Yes, only weirdo's like me appreciate the stock sound. Most everyone else changes the headers for unequal length versions so the exhaust wavefront collapses oddly and makes it sound like it's misfiring. The fan boi's call it "the subie rumble" like it's something to be proud of.

Also quite possible that is has a ecu tune, or an aftermarket exhaust to be even more obnoxious.

BrahmaBull1990 02-27-2021 10:33 PM

I looked at an MR2 like that years ago...turned out the exhaust ended after the header haha

dpfarr 02-28-2021 02:10 AM

Find a supercharged one, I sorta wish I bought a used boosted one instead.

ls1ac 02-28-2021 11:21 AM

Are you sure the used one you drove had a stock exhaust?
Might try to find an other to try or someone in your area with a stock car.

RToyo86 02-28-2021 11:40 AM

It sounds like it's been modified. Stock examples are quiet by comparison to what you describe.

If modifying and tinkering doesn't interest you, find one that's stock.

ripper 02-28-2021 11:49 AM

There are some horrible exhaust options for the BRZ that make it super loud and raspy, but what the exhaust system on that 2015 BRZ that your looking at is good for..... negotiating a lower price. After that, it's super easy and inexpensive to replace with a stock used exhaust that you can find for cheap and easily install yourself.

WannabeBRZ 02-28-2021 12:08 PM

I've been avidly searching on a daily basis for over 3 months now for my FT86. I'd recommend you do your research, learn as much as possible, and ask for history reports, such as a Carfax or Autocheck. Don't settle on the first, second, or third option unless you're in desperate need of a car right away, or you know exactly what you are seeking out. I lost count at how many cars I've looked at, however, I am searching for specific parameters for my car, so I know it's going to take a while until I find "my ideal" candidate.

With the questions you've asked, (in my mind) it's apparent that you haven't done enough research on your own. You'll first need to know the basis information regarding the platform, so you know when you come across a modified aspect.

Go slow, don't rush. Inspect the cars thoroughly and ask for as much information as you can regarding them.

HKz 02-28-2021 12:20 PM

Could be due to an aftermarket exhaust as everyone's saying but if you've been used to family cars your whole life then yes the twins are relatively loud with very little sound deadening material especially on early model years, lots of tire noise and the engine even on stock exhaust still produces quite a bit of theatrics.

my 2nd car is a 3rd gen Prius and yea going between them is a night & day difference especially since I have the trd exhaust on my twin...but my first twin with the normal exhaust was still pretty loud especially on the highway. Either way, think you will need to speak up compared to most family cars. Otherwise better invest in some dynamat and maybe smaller wheels and tires lol

The Red One 02-28-2021 01:36 PM

Welcom Jello (Mmm, Jello one of my favourite food groups)

Im stock and sometimes when im really tired find it just bothersome,
but most of the time just right for my mostly road tripping.
Non “car fanatic” friends find it quite loud as is. Used to have a SIR
and loved that little B series, it was just with an intake and the
anticipation to hear the howl of the big cam switchover and nail it to 8200rpm
never got old.

I just find the FA20 is missing a bit to bring it to that level of aural nirvana character at higher RPM.

Use of Larger tires or design could also play a part, if ever you had 2 sets of rim/tires the set rotation
can be quite noticeable. I have been in a BRZ that had some track shredded tires
& the road noise from those was quite awful.

But after close to two years here I also came to the conclusion if you want help making this car
more quiet, man your on the wrong site! :laughabove:

Sasquachulator 03-01-2021 10:31 AM

I dont think it should be that much louder than your typical econobox like a corolla.

I hear it is pretty loud at highway speeds though, just due to the sound deadening, but it shouldnt be unbearably loud (should just be some wind and road noise)

But ubnoxiously loud? That sounds like exhaust mods as been mentioned.

Plus a stock car should NOT really have any subie rumble in it. Its growly and not really "smooth" like an inline engine, but it shouldnt be burbly or deep and rumbly.

CrowsFeast 03-01-2021 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HKz (Post 3410189)
very little sound deadening material especially on early model years,

I wasn't aware that there was a change to the sound deadening between early models and later; did this change in line with the 2017 face lift or at a different time?

For OP; like everyone else says, probably aftermarket exhaust. Could be headers, catback, or both. Even an axleback might be loud enough for what you describe (there's some which are really just muffler deletes).

Sasquachulator 03-01-2021 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrowsFeast (Post 3410411)
I wasn't aware that there was a change to the sound deadening between early models and later; did this change in line with the 2017 face lift or at a different time?

For OP; like everyone else says, probably aftermarket exhaust. Could be headers, catback, or both. Even an axleback might be loud enough for what you describe (there's some which are really just muffler deletes).

I dunno if the sound isulation changed at all but the engine got a fair bit quieter and smoother in 2017+, so in comparison to the early years the 2017+ feels and sounds much more refined.

Ohio Enthusiast 03-01-2021 01:12 PM

My stock exhaust 2018 BRZ is pretty loud on the highway, mostly tire noise which varies quite a bit on the type and age of the pavement. I'd agree that compared to your regular commuter car/van/SUV the Twins are noticeably louder, and holding a conversation on the highway is unpleasant.

Still, can't rule out an aftermarket exhaust. Cat/axle back are easy to tell based on the exhaust tips and by looking at the muffler. Header or other internal parts (overpipe, midpipe) would be more difficult to see, as they would require lifting the car and removing some panels.