Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   odd protrusion of the driver side door (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125542)

Rustyspoon 02-20-2018 07:38 PM

odd protrusion of the driver side door

3 Attachment(s)
Hello all,

I have an odd protrusion on the driver side door. It started about a month ago and has steadily got worse. The car is a 13 frs so well past warranty. Car has never been in an accident, nor can I find any evidence of a hit and run. The crease is stiff with no give to the sheet metal.

I took it to the dealer, they have no idea what it could be. They of course are happy to charge me to take it apart. Should I let them and hope they will cover it under warranty? (assuming its a manufacturers defect) Or should I just go to a body shop and pay out of pocket?

Anyone see anything like this before?

I live in Canada if this makes a difference.

Thanks all.

Tcoat 02-20-2018 07:50 PM

Hi Rust. Can you back the pics off a bit so we can tell what we are even looking at? They may make sense to you but I have no clue where it even is.

Rustyspoon 02-20-2018 08:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Sorry, site has me crop the pictures down. This is from a month ago. the line now runs about half the length of the door.

Teseo 02-20-2018 08:12 PM

And wash the car, the other side have the same?

HKz 02-20-2018 08:20 PM

wow that looks pretty rough, certainly not normal. not sure how something like that could happen unless the bottom edge of the door was pressed up against something...

Rustyspoon 02-20-2018 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teseo (Post 3047258)
And wash the car, the other side have the same?

I did wash the car lol. The pictures from the car wash are too dark to see anything. Welcome to Alberta roads where everything gets dirty in 3kms.

Other side of the car is fine.

Rustyspoon 02-20-2018 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HKz (Post 3047260)
wow that looks pretty rough, certainly not normal. not sure how something like that could happen unless the bottom edge of the door was pressed up against something...

Not to my knowledge. The line is slowly increasing in size though; really baffled I am.

Tcoat 02-20-2018 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rustyspoon (Post 3047262)
I did wash the car lol. The pictures from the car wash are too dark to see anything. Welcome to Alberta roads where everything gets dirty in 3kms.

Other side of the car is fine.

I feel your pain on the dirty car!

It is a lump not an indent right?

Did you have any problems with your window?

Rustyspoon 02-20-2018 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3047264)
I feel your pain on the dirty car!

It is a lump not an indent right?

Did you have any problems with your window?

Yeah winter!

It is indeed a firm lump. Window operates without issue.

Tcoat 02-20-2018 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rustyspoon (Post 3047265)
Yeah winter!

It is indeed a firm lump. Window operates without issue.

No weird noises when you close the door? Sure looks to have come from the inside somehow. Probably the most bizarre thing I have seen on this forum (and I have seen some weird shit). Probably going to have to pull the door panel to see what is going on in there.

Rustyspoon 02-20-2018 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3047267)
No weird noises when you close the door? Sure looks to have come from the inside somehow. Probably the most bizarre thing I have seen on this forum (and I have seen some weird shit). Probably going to have to pull the door panel to see what is going on in there.

So far it appears to be 100% cosmetic. The door and window operate fine, no changes in panel gap. Nothing amiss on the interior of the car. I will schedule it with Toyota tomorrow. Perhaps it is a super simple problem?

Thanks for your help guys.

Tcoat 02-20-2018 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rustyspoon (Post 3047270)
So far it appears to be 100% cosmetic. The door and window operate fine, no changes in panel gap. Nothing amiss on the interior of the car. I will schedule it with Toyota tomorrow. Perhaps it is a super simple problem?

Thanks for your help guys.

No doubt when we hear what it is it will indeed be simple but damn I am baffled.

HKz 02-20-2018 08:51 PM

not sure what would be simple lol. i dont think a PDR would fix that satisfyingly especially considering it is bulging outwards...would have to get a new door otherwise.

PetrolioBenzina 02-20-2018 09:02 PM

Has your car been exposed to blast over pressure or vacuum? Betcha' you got water in there on something and it froze.