Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Worse handling with PS4S? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142425)

Caspernam 09-18-2020 04:25 PM

Worse handling with PS4S?

Hi Guys,

I have a '17 BRZ PP riding on 17x8 Enkei PF01s. I just upgraded from the stock primacy hp tires to 225/45r17 michelin PS4Ss in the hopes of getting more grip.

The grip is definitely there, but the car feels less taught overall and turn-in is a bit softer and more sluggish. My first thought was that the stock 215 tires were a bit stretched over the 8" rims, and now the 225s with a tiny bit more sidewall are flexing more when cornering leading to sloppier handling... Is there anything that can be done about this? I've been wondering about down to 215 PS4Ss just to se if it makes a difference, but I'd rather not seeing as I just bought this brand new set last week.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

BlueWhelan 09-18-2020 04:39 PM

You have more grip now, so the car is going to generate more load on the suspension. Because of this, its going to take a touch more time for the suspension to load up fully than it previously did while cornering.

The tire size can play into it, but the size you have is perfect for the rim you've got so I wouldn't worry about it.

Drive the car for a while and get used to it.

DarkPira7e 09-18-2020 04:45 PM

Just as Blue said. Suspension is a system, if you change one piece, the others behave differently. When I upgraded to 200tw tires on my car with totally stock suspension, I felt like my door was going to scrape pavement. It still had way more grip though!

I'm surprised honestly that PP doesn't come with the ps4s originally. Great tire choice!

ZDan 09-18-2020 06:17 PM

New tires with full tread depth are going to have more squirminess vs. tires near or at the treadwear indicators. A lot of what you are feeling could be that.

tobin 09-19-2020 08:34 AM

I'm in CT and have 215 PS4S on stock everything; you're welcome to drive my car if you'd like, to see if you prefer the skinnier width. I upgraded from the Primacies last spring and am in love with the PS4S.

alphasaur 09-19-2020 08:38 AM

What's tire pressure at?

Caspernam 09-19-2020 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobin (Post 3368586)
I'm in CT and have 215 PS4S on stock everything; you're welcome to drive my car if you'd like, to see if you prefer the skinnier width. I upgraded from the Primacies last spring and am in love with the PS4S.

Actually that might be really useful and fun, maybe we can figure something out before it gets cold enough for the blizzaks to go on?

Caspernam 09-19-2020 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alphasaur (Post 3368587)
What's tire pressure at?

35 all around, same as I ran the stock ones

Edit: it also appears that I'm too new to thank posts, but I want to say thanks for all the feedback and suggestions! I've lurked on here for too long lol