Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Entry Level? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142270)

Flarpswitch 09-06-2020 06:23 PM

Entry Level?

I got click-baited into reading an article on Motor1.com thinking there was some news about the next-gen 86/BRZ. Since there is no real news and they have to fill space, the article was just a bunch of artist renderings based on spy shots of a car clad in camouflage. Yeah, tack on some Supra fake vents and voila! Shame on me for thinking that there was anything of substance motor news journalists can offer. However, the often used "Entry Level" reference was used. I know better than to be insulted, but what the hell do they mean by that whether it be a car, a house or God forbid your wife's jewelry. By entry level, do they mean that my BRZ is just the first step to a Bugatti? Not counting the people that get an 86 or BRZ with the intention of tuning and/or tracking the car, there has to be a bunch of us out there that just want to drive it and enjoy it as is. Entry level for me if I care to consider the idea would be the Austin Healey Mk1 (Bug Eye) and the Mk2 Sprites each being at least 10 years old when I acquired them. The Bug Eye could get from 0 to 60 in about 20 seconds if the wind was not against me. Let's go back to 1959 and consider the owner of an Austin Healey; was that entry level and are there dreams of a Jaguar or a Mercedes Benz? Maybe the guy has a station wagon and a sailboat at the marina. One day after seeing a Porsche Cayman, I put one together on the Porsche web site and after wading through all the options, which takes forever, I got something that had just what I needed and a few wants thrown in. The car came to well over six figures in cost. Yikes. I actually found one in inventory that would work for me so I would not have to order. I remember when I bought my BRZ. The decision process is I want this and this and then you pick the color; done. And you have plenty of money left to buy two more cars. The question is: With your 86/BRZ, do you feel like you have arrived or do you have other ambitions? If it is some sort of status, some people spot my BRZ and think it is hot stuff. It's rare enough and not many know that it is a budget ride in reality. One young lady pumping gas in the car told me that she thought it was pretty. The next time I was in I found out she was referring to the paint and how shiny and sparkly is was. Mission accomplished, I don't need a Porsche.

DarkPira7e 09-06-2020 06:40 PM

Entry level meaning an inexpensive venture into an otherwise costly hobby- can be competitive as-is but is not fully track equipped like something triple its price.

Adding some tighter bushings and a turbo was all I needed to feel like it's the best car for me. I couldn't care less about the condition of my paint or scratches- it moves in a way that is how I'd like myself personafied on the motorway

Capt Spaulding 09-06-2020 07:05 PM

No, you don't. What matters is what you feel, not what other people see.

WildCard600 09-06-2020 08:13 PM

I still want a Porsche, because I like Porsche's.

spike021 09-06-2020 08:58 PM

For me it's my first personal car.

First time driving manual.

First time doing track/autox days.

First time canyon carving.

First time commuter.

So yeah, it's my entry-level.

But damn, I could keep it forever and if I had way more money than I do now I'd totally get something higher up like a GT4 or something, and I'd still keep the BRZ. It's a fantastic, practical (for me) entry-level car. But entry-level doesn't have to mean it's the highest I'll ever go into the sportscar range, or that it means I'm a newb driver because I choose to keep the "entry-level" model.

Ernest72 09-06-2020 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildCard600 (Post 3365141)
I still want a Porsche, because I like Porsche's.

Porsche’s are great, but I know plenty of people who own them and have driven my car and it always delivers smiles. Yeah it’s not as refined, but it’s a blast to drive. Plus you won’t spend nearly as much on maintenance. Certainly see a Cayman in my future, but for now the BRZ is a blast.

JesseG 09-06-2020 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flarpswitch (Post 3365111)
I got click-baited into reading an article on Motor1.com thinking there was some news about the next-gen 86/BRZ. Since there is no real news and they have to fill space, the article was just a bunch of artist renderings based on spy shots of a car clad in camouflage. Yeah, tack on some Supra fake vents and voila! Shame on me for thinking that there was anything of substance motor news journalists can offer. However, the often used "Entry Level" reference was used. I know better than to be insulted, but what the hell do they mean by that whether it be a car, a house or God forbid your wife's jewelry. By entry level, do they mean that my BRZ is just the first step to a Bugatti? Not counting the people that get an 86 or BRZ with the intention of tuning and/or tracking the car, there has to be a bunch of us out there that just want to drive it and enjoy it as is. Entry level for me if I care to consider the idea would be the Austin Healey Mk1 (Bug Eye) and the Mk2 Sprites each being at least 10 years old when I acquired them. The Bug Eye could get from 0 to 60 in about 20 seconds if the wind was not against me. Let's go back to 1959 and consider the owner of an Austin Healey; was that entry level and are there dreams of a Jaguar or a Mercedes Benz? Maybe the guy has a station wagon and a sailboat at the marina. One day after seeing a Porsche Cayman, I put one together on the Porsche web site and after wading through all the options, which takes forever, I got something that had just what I needed and a few wants thrown in. The car came to well over six figures in cost. Yikes. I actually found one in inventory that would work for me so I would not have to order. I remember when I bought my BRZ. The decision process is I want this and this and then you pick the color; done. And you have plenty of money left to buy two more cars. The question is: With your 86/BRZ, do you feel like you have arrived or do you have other ambitions? If it is some sort of status, some people spot my BRZ and think it is hot stuff. It's rare enough and not many know that it is a budget ride in reality. One young lady pumping gas in the car told me that she thought it was pretty. The next time I was in I found out she was referring to the paint and how shiny and sparkly is was. Mission accomplished, I don't need a Porsche.

You make a really good point, does “entry level” mean you wouldn’t want to keep said item long term? I see it said about a lot of consumer goods, watches and even homes. It’s a strange concept to me. Like nobody could be happy with a 86/BRZ and not want to replace it. Something I have learned about “luxury” goods and those who buy them, they say those things to make themselves feel better. I’ve handled a brand new Rolex Submariner and a Seiko MM300. There is literally nothing about the Rolex that justifies its crazy price. You can argue little pieces here and there are better quality, but the price difference is staggering. It actually felt kind of flimsy to me.
I understand that consumer products exist at different quality and price levels. I just find it silly to say something is entry level or budget. Who doesn’t have a budget? Lol So if you own a Porsche 911 you just have a budget McClaren? The McClaren 720S owner has a poor mans Bugatti? Where does it end? [emoji38]I love seeing “if money is a factor buy X item...” Well who the F doesn’t feel like money is a factor?! [emoji28] I think a lot of this points to deeper issues of materialism and never being happy with what you have. I have no problem with anyone wanting to get a “better” car or watch or whatever, but it’s funny how things less expensive are looked down on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ernest72 09-06-2020 10:14 PM

The twins, a Miata or an S2000 have the best smiles per dollar. Nothing wrong with something that is cheaper but does exactly what it promises. Because it is cheaper does not mean it is cheap. If it was not for the motor issues I would throw the RX8 up there too. Very cheap now a days, great handling, but some reliability issues compared to the others.

motosteveo 09-06-2020 11:42 PM

I'm still enjoying mine 8 years in. Nothing entry level about this car.

Yeah the Cayman is faster, but is it more fun? Can you pick up your friends at the airport in it? Shoot, when winter comes around, I throw some snow tires on mine and pretend I'm Colin McRae. I'd feel downright bad doing that in a Cayman.

I don't like feeling bad. I like my BRZ.

WildCard600 09-06-2020 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motosteveo (Post 3365204)
I'm still enjoying mine 8 years in. Nothing entry level about this car.

Yeah the Cayman is faster, but is it more fun? Can you pick up your friends at the airport in it? Shoot, when winter comes around, I throw some snow tires on mine and pretend I'm Colin McRae. I'd feel downright bad doing that in a Cayman.

I don't like feeling bad. I like my BRZ.

Friend, singular maybe. Friends, plural ? In an 86/BRZ ? Do your friends have no legs ? :confused0068:

motosteveo 09-06-2020 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildCard600 (Post 3365205)
Friend, singular maybe. Friends, plural ? In an 86/BRZ ? Do your friends have no legs ? :confused0068:

:bellyroll:

JesseG 09-07-2020 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildCard600 (Post 3365205)

I’ve had 4 passengers in my FR-S, the three in the back were girls, and everyone was miserable, but we got it done! [emoji28]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nikitopo 09-07-2020 12:50 AM

It is not an entry level car and the motor news journalists know about it. Not even when you have the intention of tuning and/or tracking the car. Many of them will have an issue braking or cornering and talking fluently on camera even with the stock "Prius" tires. Check an example video below at 4:30 and there are a lot of them. So, they are just pretending and telling this to support the car industry. How people will continue spending double or triple the money comparing to a BRZ? How will persuade them dreaming to buy a Porsche?

https://youtu.be/T8UU6XrAygI

dpfarr 09-07-2020 03:09 AM

I felt really stoked I bought myself a car that hopefully had zero farts in it. I’m not sure what strata I’m entering but if it gets better, fuck yea!