Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Changing rear brakes dust shields (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149475)

larryt 04-14-2022 10:21 AM

Changing rear brakes dust shields

I am going to be replacing my rear brake dust shields to accommodate a big brake kit. All of the videos I see have someone hammering on the end of the axle to get the suspension knuckle and hub assembly out. I am worried that this could damage the axle, or maybe some seals. Maybe even the bearings on the diff. I guess it could be fine if you are replacing the axle, but I plan to keep using my axles.

If I do get the hub/knuckle assembly out, does everything separate easily enough or will I need a puller, in which case would it make more sense to try to do it while still on the car?

I know a lot of people will say just take off the old ones, but I really do not want to do it that way if I can help it.

Any tips on the best approach and if I am worrying about something I should not be would be appreciated. Thanks.

EndlessAzure 04-15-2022 04:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Put the axle nut back on and hammer on that if it's not coming off. That will prevent you from damaging the end of the axle. You'll want to buy a new axle nut anyway. In my experience removing the axle, it should slip out pretty easily provided the car doesn't live in the rust belt.

IIRC, the hub is just held on by 4 bolts to the carrier, which clamps the parking brake carrier & dust shield in between.

larryt 04-15-2022 12:56 PM

Great info, exactly what I needed. Thanks.

jflogerzi 04-15-2022 04:59 PM

I just cut mine. Its super thin metal.

larryt 04-15-2022 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jflogerzi (Post 3517347)

I thought about it, but I'm that guy that is trying to preserve everything so that when I return it to stock everything will be there...It took about 45 minutes to get the first side down. I'm sure I can do the next in less than 30 with about another 60-90 minutes going back together. Not too bad. And getting fresh e-brake shoes.

fredzy 04-05-2023 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jflogerzi (Post 3517347)

I have probably the same brake kit coming, RR Racing Sport front and rear. I didn't think much about the rear dust shield until today. After looking through everything I decided to order the PP shields and be done with it..

Unfortunately can't find the rears (the real trouble ones) in stock anywhere. Especially the Toyota PN seems discontinued, Subaru on indefinite backorder.

Subaru PNs: 26704VA010 and 26704VA000
Toyota PNs: SU00306302 and SU00306303

So I guess I'll be trimming. At least I won't have to worry about cracking loose the axle nuts.

Code Monkey 04-05-2023 05:53 PM

I have two OEM parking brake plates with the dust shields already removed if you want to preserve your OEM ones.

fredzy 04-05-2023 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Code Monkey (Post 3575694)
I have two OEM parking brake plates with the dust shields already removed if you want to preserve your OEM ones.

Thank you for the offer sir! I must politely decline though.. I'm feeling a little relieved to not be messing with that axle nut. Not to mention not having to put back the parking brake jigsaw puzzle.

Down the road maybe I'll put the 2026 performance pack dust shields on if I can get a hold of those :)