Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   CARB certified Turbo Kits? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45876)

Naikon210 09-03-2013 04:41 PM

CARB certified Turbo Kits?

Are there any turbo kits that will pass smog? Been looking around for hours. Still no luck. How about in the future?

jamesm 09-03-2013 05:00 PM

none available at the moment.

SmsAlSuwaidi 09-03-2013 05:04 PM

No FI Kit is currently CARB legal

Both the innovate and vortech are CARB pending

Sonolin 09-03-2013 05:06 PM

From what I understand, its a little difficult to make a carb legal turbo for this car due to the 2 catalytic converters and low space. I've also heard of other kits "frying" cats (but that was at about 400whp if I remember correctly...).

I've heard 1 vendor who mentioned they were working on a CARB legal kit, but haven't heard much in details yet. I wouldn't bet on something like this coming out for quite a while (if it even happens).

EDIT: Depending on your power levels and gas quality, the Innovate kit is looking very good. @moto-mike just got 285whp on a dynojet with the innovate, 70mm pulley (10psi), and no other exhaust/power mods from what I understand. e85 gas. Intercooler sounds necessary for those with bad gas however, and that isn't out yet... Not to mention CARB is still "pending"

SmsAlSuwaidi 09-03-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonolin (Post 1186514)
From what I understand, its a little difficult to make a carb legal turbo for this car due to the 2 catalytic converters and low space. I've also heard of other kits "frying" cats (but that was at about 400whp if I remember correctly...).

I've heard 1 vendor who mentioned they were working on a CARB legal kit, but haven't heard much in details yet. I wouldn't bet on something like this coming out for quite a while (if it even happens).

EDIT: Depending on your power levels and gas quality, the Innovate kit is looking very good. @moto-mike just got 285whp on a dynojet with the innovate, 70mm pulley (10psi), and no other exhaust/power mods from what I understand. e85 gas. Intercooler sounds necessary for those with bad gas however, and that isn't out yet... Not to mention CARB is still "pending"

But remember you need innovate's tune for CARB, not a tuner kit

olorin 09-03-2013 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naikon210 (Post 1186460)
Are there any turbo kits that will pass smog? Been looking around for hours. Still no luck. How about in the future?

The main cat is located in the header and all the kits so far replace the header. Adding a main cat after would be expensive and would decrease performance. A high flow cat is not going to be enough to pass emissions.

Sportsguy83 09-03-2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olorin (Post 1186956)
The main cat is located in the header and all the kits so far replace the header. Adding a main cat after would be expensive and would decrease performance. A high flow cat is not going to be enough to pass emissions.

Not true. Accelerated performance version 1 kept stock header as does Ptuning.

86_ZN6 09-03-2013 09:40 PM

my turbo kit (stage 0 as we call it) also keeps stock headers, stock intake box and has a recirc Bov

and yes it will undergo CARB certification

http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/...77E9700740.jpg

note: picture above is still a prototype

Gen 09-03-2013 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olorin (Post 1186956)

Adding a main cat after would still violate CARB. Gotta keep the stock cats...even if the cat you are replacing it with is lower emissions. It's a stupid state.

DarthThinmints 09-04-2013 03:21 AM

I would assume greddy would be, since they are located in Irvine, but, then again... I am a novice anyways.

86_ZN6 09-04-2013 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthThinmints (Post 1187583)
I would assume greddy would be, since they are located in Irvine, but, then again... I am a novice anyways.

greddy eliminates headers and stock intake box. right there you know they cant be CARB

clayrush 09-04-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthThinmints (Post 1187583)

Very very few greddy kits even undergo testing let alone get approved.

mav1178 09-04-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gen (Post 1187325)
Adding a main cat after would still violate CARB. Gotta keep the stock cats...even if the cat you are replacing it with is lower emissions. It's a stupid state.

Stupid is subjective, but the requirements are actually pretty simple.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...es/amquery.php

You are granted an EO number if you have a kit that is tested by the ARB to show it does not increase vehicle emissions.

There's two ways of doing this:
- keeping stock cat (but the tune still needs to keep factory emissions levels)
- using approved aftermarket cat as part of complete system upgrade

-alex

Cessblood 09-04-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86_ZN6 (Post 1187585)
greddy eliminates headers and stock intake box. right there you know they cant be CARB

You can get the Greddy kit with an aftermarket cat but I don't know the emissions levels.