Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Sard wing on 2017+ (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144502)

LSK 03-11-2021 11:54 AM

Sard wing on 2017+

Anyone have pictures of a Sard wing on a 2017+ BRZ with factory spoiler holes?

I'd like to see if I can make some plates to cover the holes instead of doubling up with a sard and a ducktail

Dzmitry 03-11-2021 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSK (Post 3412927)
Anyone have pictures of a Sard wing on a 2017+ BRZ with factory spoiler holes?

I'd like to see if I can make some plates to cover the holes instead of doubling up with a sard and a ducktail

This man has it, but no closeups of the holes as far as I've seen. He mentions how he covers the holes I believe.

https://www.reddit.com/user/WrongCollection/

LSK 03-11-2021 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzmitry (Post 3412950)
This man has it, but no closeups of the holes as far as I've seen. He mentions how he covers the holes I believe.

https://www.reddit.com/user/WrongCollection/

interesting, he said he just used vinyl, I was thinking of machining some thin carbon block off plates and using thin adhesive tape to seal them off.

I guess I should just commit and order a wing and see what I can do.

Dzmitry 03-11-2021 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSK (Post 3412957)
interesting, he said he just used vinyl, I was thinking of machining some thin carbon block off plates and using thin adhesive tape to seal them off.

I guess I should just commit and order a wing and see what I can do.

I forget now, but I think that was his temporary solution, right? Either way, what you're saying sounds like a pretty good idea, as long as you get it properly sealed, it should work fine. Vinyl might not be a bad idea with some type of sealant support in the whole just as a backup. I guess good thing about vinyl is you can paint match and keep it fairly level with the rest of the trunk.

LSK 03-11-2021 01:45 PM

yeah I just can't tell where the hole placement is, if I can get a bunch of photos of the 2017 with the spoiler holes uncovered i'll be more comfortable dropping money on a spoiler and making the plates.

Dzmitry 03-11-2021 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSK (Post 3412964)
yeah I just can't tell where the hole placement is, if I can get a bunch of photos of the 2017 with the spoiler holes uncovered i'll be more comfortable dropping money on a spoiler and making the plates.

Why not disconnect your spoiler and see?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-MOLaIezlA

LSK 03-11-2021 03:38 PM

sorry should have been a little more clear, I want to see if someone has the spoiler already mounted with the holes uncovered. I've had mine off to install the perrin riser kit but its hard to really see what it would look like without the actual parts.

Problem is, if the sard wing mounts partially cover any of the holes, then the carbon plates wont work as I intend them to work.

Dzmitry 03-12-2021 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSK (Post 3412993)
sorry should have been a little more clear, I want to see if someone has the spoiler already mounted with the holes uncovered. I've had mine off to install the perrin riser kit but its hard to really see what it would look like without the actual parts.

Problem is, if the sard wing mounts partially cover any of the holes, then the carbon plates wont work as I intend them to work.

Ah, I see. Definitely don't want to make any incorrect statements here, but I want to say they do partially cover the holes, but that's purely a prediction based on what I've read online about any spoilers in general that don't cover them - they tend to cover some of the hole, but not all of it obviously. Can't remember if I ever saw anything particularly about the Sard wing in that regard.

In any case, good luck! I'll peak around and if I run across some info, I'll post it up.

LSK 03-12-2021 08:29 AM

I sent the guy in the reddit post a message, he said he can take some pictures and send them over if we can both figure out how reddit works lol

Dzmitry 03-12-2021 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSK (Post 3413193)
I sent the guy in the reddit post a message, he said he can take some pictures and send them over if we can both figure out how reddit works lol

Nice haha, that was my only thing is I don't use reddit so I couldn't really help you there (plus too lazy) :)

LSK 03-12-2021 08:42 AM

hahaha no worries.

I should have some time this weekend to work out some templates and do some CAD work for the factory holes, I'll just assume it'll work until I prove to myself that it doesn't.

FR-S2GT86 03-12-2021 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSK (Post 3413198)
hahaha no worries.

I should have some time this weekend to work out some templates and do some CAD work for the factory holes, I'll just assume it'll work until I prove to myself that it doesn't.

Out of curiosity, which specific OEM spoiler do you have on your car at the moment? Just asking because I'm looking to install one of the BRZ spoilers on my FR-S using the Drambeenee risors. I've got the risors, but I have yet to acquire the spoiler. I'm wanting to install the one with the flat wings on each side. If you're willing to sell it once you get a Sard installed, I'll pay you for it if that's the one I'm looking for.

EDIT: Or.......
If you're willing to swap trunk kids, mine has no spoiler at all which would give you a clean slate to work on and it would give me an easy install on my risors. But we would both need to do some painting in the end.

LSK 03-12-2021 11:19 AM

yeah I had looked into the trunk swap thing but matching a crystal white pearl paint would be a nightmare, I'd be pissed at myself if it didn't match perfectly.

I'll have to see how permanent I make the Sard, the more I look the more I was thinking of making bolt in plates with a gasket vs just a stick on one. I'll send you a message if I decide to sell my stock performance package wing.

FR-S2GT86 03-12-2021 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSK (Post 3413225)
yeah I had looked into the trunk swap thing but matching a crystal white pearl paint would be a nightmare, I'd be pissed at myself if it didn't match perfectly.

I'll have to see how permanent I make the Sard, the more I look the more I was thinking of making bolt in plates with a gasket vs just a stick on one. I'll send you a message if I decide to sell my stock performance package wing.

That would just be an excuse for me to get a new custom paint job on the entire car.