Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Tracking your 86 in Texas (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91630)

TEWwild 08-14-2015 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mx5 2nr (Post 2357137)
Hey guys, FWIW I'm planning on heading to Harris Hill Saturday morning, been a rough week, need to blow some steam, lol...

Would love to join you, but I'll be working....Thinking about doing the PST meet up at MSR Cresson on the 29th though.

mx5 2nr 08-14-2015 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEWwild (Post 2357188)
Would love to join you, but I'll be working....Thinking about doing the PST meet up at MSR Cresson on the 29th though.

No worries, let me know when you can head up to HH, I'm literally like 10-15 minutes away. I've got the PST event penciled in right now, but I'm going to be closing a project in League City (between Houston & Galveston) the day before, and I'm hoping I can get the hall-pass from the wife to head out to Cresson. Thinking optimistically, I think I may have a 50/50 shot...

Kuri 08-14-2015 11:57 AM

i'll be at tws in nov too

DaiTT500 08-25-2015 01:59 AM

We have 16 BRZ and FRS combine going to Texas World Speedway with Chin Motorsports in November 14-15 as of 1:00am 8/25

http://www.chinmotorsports.com/Roste...2b4I%2bhJ84%3d

And some more 86 people are trickling in.

If you have Ran TWS before and have experience on that track, want to join us? PM me and I can get you a discount in our group. If you are new to Chin I am able to work a discount with the organizer to get you a $60 discount on your first event and I can talk to management to move you up in run groups so you don't have to start out in the novice run group.

For novice drivers who needs instructors, the novice list is full but you can be on the waiting list.

PM me for more details.

VADERR 08-25-2015 09:00 AM

Ok so, here is my Track Night in America video. I've never been on track before and there are really no instructors with that program.
215 hankook rs3's(dead), koni yellows with stock springs, front 20mm sway on soft.<<<<<excuses
Harry's said it was a 1:32.64

Please comment any advice or tips!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxM8H08E2vQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxM8H08E2vQ[/ame]

Jonsey 08-25-2015 12:35 PM

Here are the main things I noticed, but for a first time on track that was a great lap:

- Your entry into rattlesnake is not bad but I would come in a little tighter to the right side, also looks like you are braking early there
- You need to track out a bit more throughout wagon wheel - there is a little mark about 2/3 of the way out on the track where you should start the turn in for the second half of wagon wheel coming out on the straight
- Ricochet you turned in really late and did not track all the way out (this is probably where you lost the most time but this is a corner that takes practice and a lot of courage because it's scary). I do a very slow turn in here starting just after the rumble strips, track into the apex and then track all the way out to the rumble strips
- Your turn in to little bend was slightly early and you did not start from the outside, which is pretty common, but you could gain a little time modifying the line there
- Your line through horse shoe, boot hill and tombstone was actually pretty nice. There are a couple of tweaks that could be made but overall very nice there
- Your turn in to big bend looked good but you really pinched it off at the end, you need to open the wheel up and let it track all the way out. You will pick up a couple of extra mph down the straight that way.

Once again, overall a pretty nice lap and a great lap considering no instructor and first time out there.

VADERR 08-25-2015 04:54 PM

Thanks! I really need to get out there with an instructor in the car.

Jonsey 09-01-2015 03:36 PM

So what do folks have on their calendars for the rest of the year? I am signed up for the following:

Sep 19-20 MSR-C w/ Drivers Edge
Oct 17-18 TWS w/ NASA
Nov 14-15 TWS - w/ Chin

TEWwild 09-03-2015 11:26 AM

@mx5 2nr , I'm at H2R now, should be here for the rest of the day, stop by if you get a chance!

bslate3 09-08-2015 09:24 PM

I'm doing the TNiA on the 14th. It will be my first time in the 1.7, any driving tips? I've done the 1.3 before with the PCA when I had my WRX.

What camera mounts are yall using that bolt on to the passenger seat? I like Tha camera angle. I have a Go Pro.

mx5 2nr 09-09-2015 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEWwild (Post 2378869)
@mx5 2nr , I'm at H2R now, should be here for the rest of the day, stop by if you get a chance!

Ahh man... I was at work... I'm going to stop by there on Saturday to check out the H2R Race, and I'll be out there on Sunday afternoon, after C&C & lunch... I think I'll be out there after about 2 or 3, until they kick me out..

bslate3 09-15-2015 03:15 PM

I did the SCCA Track Night in America yesterday at MSR 1.7CCW.

My first time on track with this car and first time on the 1.7 (only been on the 1.3).

It was super fun! I did a 1:31.7 in my CS prepped BRZ with just 225/45 star specs and a Perrin 19mm front sway bar and stoptech street pads.

I know I could have been at least a second faster but didn't want to push too hard for my first time. I wanted to focus on my lines. With that said, driving tips are appreciated!

[ame]http://youtu.be/yLLv9jIzoNo[/ame]

ZachTTerrell 09-16-2015 12:51 AM

I live on UT campus. Where would the best place to track my FR-S be? Keep in mind i'm a college student with no money

Ramster 09-16-2015 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZachTTerrell (Post 2391684)
I live on UT campus. Where would the best place to track my FR-S be? Keep in mind i'm a college student with no money

If you have no money, you should just do autocross. A lot cheaper than actual tracking.

mx5 2nr 09-16-2015 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramster (Post 2392404)
If you have no money, you should just do autocross. A lot cheaper than actual tracking.

Probably true...

If you can scrape together about $300 and some change, check if GroupOn still has that 2 month membership at Harris Hill Raceway in San Marcos. I did that deal & unfortunately my 2 month trial membership officially ends in 30 minutes, but I got a lot of track time in. So very worth it...

Shneegle 09-17-2015 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZachTTerrell (Post 2391684)

SCCA Track Nights are like $150 an event. Usually at MSR Cresson.

SCCA Autocross is $50 an event. Next event you can join would be November 1st at Lone Star Park. October 25th is another event but you need to have done 3 autocross events before to join since it's on the infield track at Texas Motor Speedway.

Equipe Rapide is $40 an event. Next event is October 11th in Mineral Wells.

WillRacer1jz 09-20-2015 01:00 AM

Hi fellow track yunkies,
My name is Will and I just moved to the Dallas-Fort Worth area from Southern California. I have been tracking my FRS since early 2013, up and down California, from Chuckwalla Valley Raceway to Laguna Seca in the stock class of the 86Cup Challenge. I've have about 10 years doing HPDE type event in my previous cars (Supra MKIII, Genesis Coupe, SC300) and five years of wheel to wheel racing experience doing 24hrs of LeMons races.

After I get my family over to Texas, buy a new home and settle in, I can't wait to start tracking here in Texas.

P.S. Is there any fellow 24hrs of LeMons races here? I need to find a local team.

robr 09-22-2015 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillRacer1jz (Post 2395609)
Is there any fellow 24hrs of LeMons races here? I need to find a local team.

I think we are looking for a 4th member for our team. We run a 1991 MR2 turbo (LeMons, WRL, Chump eventually, and just a generic track car since the other guys are all instructors with Drivers Edge).

Last I heard it'd be a $1500 buy-in. I can get more details if you're interested.

WillRacer1jz 09-24-2015 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robr (Post 2398180)
I think we are looking for a 4th member for our team. We run a 1991 MR2 turbo (LeMons, WRL, Chump eventually, and just a generic track car since the other guys are all instructors with Drivers Edge).

Last I heard it'd be a $1500 buy-in. I can get more details if you're interested.

Ok cool thanks I'll send you a PM to get more info.

Jonsey 10-20-2015 10:43 AM

Had a great weekend with the drivers edge doing the 3.1 at Cresson. There were four 86s out there, which was great. Sadly I left my gopro at home so just phone videos.

Set a new personal best that I was really happy with. Creeping up on the track record for TTD cars, where this should be but isn't optimized for:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba00Ue-4BKU"]Drivers Edge MSR-C 3.1 PB (FR-S) - YouTube[/ame]

Here is a video of the whole session, fun to take down several vettes on slicks. This was the best session I have ever driven, everything was clicking and I was getting excited (as you can hear by the several childish outbursts).

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUwzAu9hUUc"]MSR Cresson Drivers Edge 10-18 First Session Red FR S - YouTube[/ame]

GSpeed 10-20-2015 11:03 AM

Looks great! Sorry I missed you this weekend.

Jake

Jonsey 10-20-2015 12:08 PM

Thanks! Those RE71Rs are absolutely insane. Couldn't believe how much more grip I had over the ZII star specs, granted they are 10mm wider.

Sad to miss you. Was looking forward to checking out the car and seeing what's going on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSpeed (Post 2425617)
Looks great! Sorry I missed you this weekend.

Jake

Jyn 11-03-2015 10:27 AM

Anyone going to TWS this weekend with The Driver's Edge or next weekend with Chin (besides the Houston group)?

kch 11-03-2015 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jyn (Post 2440357)
Anyone going to TWS this weekend with The Driver's Edge or next weekend with Chin

I am!~ I'll be there with Chin.

Quote:

(besides the Houston group)?
Oh :(

Jyn 11-03-2015 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kch (Post 2440446)
I am!~ I'll be there with Chin.

Oh :(

hahaha signed up for the Chin event to hang out with H86 so y'all already covered :cheers:

kch 11-03-2015 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jyn (Post 2440492)
hahaha signed up for the Chin event to hang out with H86 so y'all already covered :cheers:

Ah I just figured out who you are. Got it.

VADERR 11-03-2015 03:21 PM

Is there some sort of master list of DE events around texas? Or do I need to just go to each organizations website to figure it out?

Lebby83 11-03-2015 08:43 PM

Quote:

Anyone going to TWS this weekend with The Driver's Edge or next weekend with Chin (besides the Houston group)?

I'll be at the CHIN event. Flying down from PA, my car is already down in Houston at my brothers.

Jonsey 11-04-2015 11:05 AM

Quote:

I will be at the Chin event.

Jyn 11-04-2015 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VADERR (Post 2440721)
Is there some sort of master list of DE events around texas? Or do I need to just go to each organizations website to figure it out?

None that I'm aware of. Usually I get my info from facebook or sometimes people here will post up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lebby83 (Post 2441114)
I'll be at the CHIN event. Flying down from PA, my car is already down in Houston at my brothers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonsey (Post 2441573)
I will be at the Chin event.

Cool, hope to meet y'all there :thumbsup:

Kuri 11-04-2015 06:15 PM

Just signed up for PDS for TWS.... I lol'd when they placed me in novice..

I think they read my driver history and bumped me to the next run group

Jonsey 11-15-2015 04:51 PM

Got stuck in the office all weekend and couldn't make it down to TWS. How did it go?

kch 11-16-2015 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonsey (Post 2452390)
Got stuck in the office all weekend and couldn't make it down to TWS. How did it go?

Great weather. Fun times. Several people lost their front splitters to the turn 1 transition. A JRSC BRZ popped a boost hose, dumped fuel into the cat, and blew his cats out, but got fixed up overnight.

It was my first time on a track and it was amazing. I used to think I wanted a JRSC or a JDL turbo, but now I know I don't really need that power.

GSpeed 11-16-2015 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kch (Post 2453033)
I used to think I wanted a JRSC or a JDL turbo, but now I know I don't really need that power yet.

FTFY.

kch 11-16-2015 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSpeed (Post 2453047)
FTFY.

I'll cross that bridge when I get there. :party0030:

I just meant that the lack of FI isn't preventing me from enjoying the hell out of my car.

Jonsey 11-19-2015 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kch (Post 2453049)
I'll cross that bridge when I get there. :party0030:

I just meant that the lack of FI isn't preventing me from enjoying the hell out of my car.

I thought the car was slow when I first got on the track (MRSC is a lot more technical than TWS). Then I learned to carry speed through corners and the car was no longer slow. Then I started getting really fast and putting the hurt on the big boys in the corners but struggling to catch them as they outpowered me down the straights. Then I again wanted more power.

Learning to drive an underpowered car fast is highly rewarding and will make you a much better driver. I am now faster than a lot of vettes in the top run group as my precision in corners is so much sharper than theirs because I have had to learn to not rely on power to cover my mistakes. They can hose a corner entry and then just stomp the gas peddle and still turn a decent lap, I can't.

VADERR 11-24-2015 03:42 PM

So it is most certainly not the "fastest" an 86 has lapped TWS but I am more than happy with it!

2:06.852

Mods: Koni yellows on stock springs, whiteline front swaybar, veryyyyyy worn hoosier A6's that I bought used from a TT car just to get me through the weekend (245/40/17 squeezed on to a 7" wheel), and the nameless muffler delete.

Any and all advice is more than welcome!!!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeECgUIwmnA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeECgUIwmnA[/ame]

Bramick 11-27-2015 09:05 AM

@Jonsey Time to be an instructor so you can coach me :)

14stu 12-06-2015 10:08 PM

Chase and I signed up for the Don Herring Mitsubishi annual track-day at MSR Crandall. We weren't the only Subarus, but we were the only BRZs and some of the only RWD cars at the event. The number of white EVOs was impressive.

https://youtu.be/yTWY-fH9vqE?t=1m22s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTWY-fH9vqE

14stu 12-09-2015 09:48 PM

So the experience survey for the Mitsubishi event ended up in my spam filter, and I was assigned to the novice group. Watch what happened...

https://youtu.be/xkvZAeQhA70?t=5m23s