Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   17 Limited PP or a C6 Z06??? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112873)

yip 11-13-2016 05:29 AM

17 Limited PP or a C6 Z06???

Have an order in for a Limited PP but a deal just came up on a 06 C6 Z06 for less money than the BRZ with only 11k miles on it in damn near new condition.

Having a hard time with this as I really miss my FRS Monogram that I sold recently.

Please tell me why I don't want the Z06??

Summerwolf 11-13-2016 09:35 AM

Buy the z06. Take some driving classes. Love life.

There are some known issues to look for, but do a small amount of research and you'll be fine.

softgrip 11-13-2016 09:59 AM

<3 Jap cars :)

prj3ctm4yh3m 11-13-2016 10:24 AM

How are you going to use it. What do you value in a car. Really need more color to make this a worthwhile thread

Yardjass 11-13-2016 10:55 AM

The LS7 is a huge pain in the ass. Its also an amazing motor. That's about all I can think of bad about the Z06. If you're going to daily drive it, I'd get the 86. Otherwise, I'd get the Z06 hands down.

Drambeenie 11-13-2016 11:16 AM

Here's what's missing from your equation. The Z06 has an MSRP of $65k, which means, even if you buy the car for $1, the cost of maintenance/parts/repairs are that of a $65k car, not a $1 car.

You NEED to factor that into your budget, whether you can afford the maintenance/parts/repairs.

Z06 out of warranty, BRZ in warranty. A Z06 engine is $13k, BRZ is $2,700. (You can google the other prices for parts)

Summerwolf 11-13-2016 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yardjass (Post 2795596)
The LS7 is a huge pain in the ass.

Why?

SleepingPanda 11-13-2016 12:25 PM

Get the z06. Parts aren't as bad as a Mercedes or BMW. It's a lot more car than a PP 86.

gramicci101 11-13-2016 12:32 PM

The only reason I wouldn't get the Z06 is that it's a 10 year old car. Extremely low miles, but it's still going to have 10 year old car problems.

CBRZY 11-13-2016 12:33 PM

Life will always throw you more and more options.
Like you can probably find a used Maserati for the price of a BRZ, and if you're lucky, maybe even a used Aston Martin (z06 > both of those though ahha). But just saying, if the MSRP VALUE is what is tipping your scales, think about if the price of the thing is really a big difference.

Are you seeing the situation as:
1) I'm getting a z06 for a DAMN GOOD DEAL!
2) I miss my FR-S and want it back!

What would you use the car for? Think about if you want to keep this car for the long run. Daily drive it? Track it? Drive your kids around?

Now, imagine if you bought the BRZ. Do you think you'll regret NOT getting the z06?
Imagine if you got the z06, do you think you'll regret NOT getting the BRZ?

I feel like you already know the specs of each car. But like @Drambeenie said, you'll need to factor in maintenance costs, the daily-drivability of it.

At the end of the day, your dilemma is driven by emotion rather than by logic. And that's how we all make buying decisions. So buy what makes you happy :)

stokeless 11-13-2016 12:37 PM

get the Z without a doubt.

Tcoat 11-13-2016 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBRZY (Post 2795625)
Life will always throw you more and more options.
Like you can probably find a used Maserati for the price of a BRZ, and if you're lucky, maybe even a used Aston Martin (z06 > both of those though ahha). But just saying, if the MSRP VALUE is what is tipping your scales, think about if the price of the thing is really a big difference.

Are you seeing the situation as:
1) I'm getting a z06 for a DAMN GOOD DEAL!
2) I miss my FR-S and want it back!

What would you use the car for? Think about if you want to keep this car for the long run. Daily drive it? Track it? Drive your kids around?

Now, imagine if you bought the BRZ. Do you think you'll regret NOT getting the z06?
Imagine if you got the z06, do you think you'll regret NOT getting the BRZ?

I feel like you already know the specs of each car. But like @Drambeenie said, you'll need to factor in maintenance costs, the daily-drivability of it.

At the end of the day, your dilemma is driven by emotion rather than by logic. And that's how we all make buying decisions. So buy what makes you happy :)

It all boils down to those last 6 words.

Ernest72 11-13-2016 02:01 PM

Get the BRZ if it's your daily. Save some money. You can always pick up a used vette for a weekend or track car. And you do not need a Z06. Sure it's nice, but a base vette has more power than can be used safely on the street. Plus it's more fun to get a base and mod. Either way you will be having some fun.

yip 11-13-2016 03:20 PM

Thanks for the responses everyone. I sold my Monogram a couple of months ago and thought I put enough time into making a final decision before ordering the 17 BRZ and never really ever considered a vette. I'm a small guy at 5'5" so I always assumed that a C6 would feel like I was driving a barge to me but my friend convinced me to give one a test drive when a friend of a friend deal came up. Surprisingly I don't feel as small in it as a 370Z and the overall ergonomics fit me well. The power is more than anything I would ever need.

Not too concerned about the cost of repairs or maintenance and I would address pulling the heads off to replace the guides before I start driving it daily. I average 20k miles a year driving around for work and even with the FRS I was used to replacing my rear tires every 6-8 months (RE71's).

When I took the Z06 for a test drive I thought I was certain that I wanted it but I always like to step back for a few days before I pull the trigger and since then I've started having second thoughts and went the full gamut again considering cars a S2K CR, Nismo 370Z, Miata RF etc...

I have a truck so I don't need a vehicle with a lot of space even though it's nice to be able to throw a decent amount of stuff in the back on the fly if needed. My criteria is that my next car must be FR, manual, 2dr, lightweight (3000lbs'ish or less) and a sports coupe or convertible. Lastly I don't want my daily to give off the vibe that I'm wealthy or flaunting that I'm well off. With that said does the vette give off the vibe? Maybe it's a silly thing to worry about but it matters to me.

As far as power goes I was fairly content with just a non catted header and E85 tune on my FRS. I bought a 335 Sprintex kit for the FRS but never installed it and it's been sitting next to my desk at work for some time now.

Something keeps bringing me back to the 17 BRZ. I think it has to do with how well rounded the car is as a daily driver. The S2k and other cars I mentioned seem to have more compromises but excel much farther in certain areas whether it's performance or refinement. Oh man I'm all over the place. I need to go take some ritalin :P