Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Clutch went out during 60k service. Really? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142416)

razman 09-18-2020 11:30 AM

Clutch went out during 60k service. Really?

2013 Scion FR-S, 60k miles.

I took my car to my regular mechanic the other day for its 60k mile service. I've never had an issue with my car in any respect, including the clutch/transmission. When I went to pick my car up, my mechanic told me that I should be aware that my clutch was making a noise, likely due to a throwout bearing, and that I should "start saving up" for its repair "down the road."

"Down the road" proved to be an interesting choice of words, because not less than a block down the street from him, my clutch started making an awful noise every time I depressed it, and within a couple more blocks the clutch feel went to absolute shit. The car also started turning off repeatedly when I attempted to engage and drive off in first gear. I was barely able to make it back to his shop.

My mechanic insisted that this was an existing problem that coincidentally blew up in his face and that nothing his team did to the car (e.g., changing fluids, plugs, filters, etc.) could be responsible for this. He said his clutch guy was on vacation for 4 weeks (what a coincidence) and so I was forced to tow it out. A transmission/clutch shop is now in the process of inspecting it.

I do generally agree with him that a tune-up like this has really nothing to do with my clutch, but I'm also hard pressed to believe that my clutch--which made no noticeable sounds or had any issues before--somehow blew up while sitting in his garage. I also do not track my car or abuse it, so I find it odd that I'm having clutch problems at 60k miles to begin with.

Any one have any suspicions as to what may have happened? Is he likely telling the truth and this just happens to be incredibly bad timing/luck? Thanks.

Sapphireho 09-18-2020 11:33 AM

Your TOB went. Common problem.

NoHaveMSG 09-18-2020 11:46 AM

About the most common failure the early cars have. 60k is actually a decent amount of miles out of one. They updated the TOB with different grease in 15'.

WNDSRFR 09-18-2020 12:10 PM

Your '13 TOB lasted 60K? Congratulations.
No, nothing suspicious here.

DarkPira7e 09-18-2020 12:27 PM

I wonder if they took the access port off the top of the transmission and accidentally got something in there?

I don't see how a TOB could go from being silent, to suddenly making a lot of noise. Was it actually making noise before you dropped it off? It'd make more sense to me that your clutch fork was damaged and finally gave in if someone got in the car and was stomping the pedal flat to the floor, but it's tough saying not knowing.

humfrz 09-18-2020 12:57 PM

Well, that sucks - :(

I reckon the transmission shop will sort it out.

I have a feeling that your shop DID NOT mess up the TOB, that it was just "its time".

Please keep us updated.

razman 09-18-2020 01:36 PM

Thanks everyone. Otherwise I would have been left wondering for a long time...

Does it make sense to just replace the TOB (if that's even possible) or just replace the whole clutch? I assume the flywheel won't need resurfacing but we'll wait and see.

DarkPira7e 09-18-2020 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by razman (Post 3368355)

Does it make sense to just replace the TOB (if that's even possible) or just replace the whole clutch? I assume the flywheel won't need resurfacing but we'll wait and see.

What are you plans for the car in the future? If you plan on modifying for power over 250WHP, you may as well upgrade the clutch. Otherwise, just do the TOB and clutch fork. Some websites sell an upgraded clutch fork, I highly recommend getting the Verus upgraded clutch fork

NoHaveMSG 09-18-2020 01:51 PM

I'd go ahead and do the whole clutch. My flywheel didn't need resurfaced so I left it alone, I was at around 70K when I did mine. I used an Excedy OEM kit, supposedly the new kits have the updated throw out bearing mine did not and I had to buy the updated bearing separately. You will want to verify whichever parts you buy, you get the updated bearing.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...3&postcount=65

humfrz 09-19-2020 02:01 AM

Quote:

I reckon that would depend on what the old clutch looks like. Yes, you can just replace the TOB. If the clutch hasn't been abused, it should be good for another 40,000 miles.

Mr.ac 09-19-2020 03:57 AM

Lol his clutch guy is out LOLOLOLOLOLOL

With a lift and basic hand tools it's a 3 hour job with a beer in one hand. Any basic mo'canhic can do it. Our cars are not special.

Also yes TOB is common failure around 60k. Mine started making noise around then, it died at 78k? Can't remember. I'm sure it was already making a noise you just thought it was normal car noises. Who knows.

tobin 09-19-2020 08:21 AM

If you haven't already done the valve spring recall, just have the dealer replace the clutch and TOB while they're at it to save on labor.

milanojess 09-19-2020 09:25 AM

Yup it’s been established as a common failure.

Not on this car, but long ago I experienced tob failure on a then 110+k miles car. It was instantaneous. I was in traffic on the road, first gear, clutch in for 2nd gear and just about to release the clutch and it gave. On that car it disengaged clutch so I had no power. Luckily I had enough momentum to reach roadside safely. Zero symptom before that.

Tcoat 09-19-2020 10:14 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

If you do it before the TOB melts down the clutch will probably be fine (depending on how hard you are on clutches) and the upgraded TOB is all you will need.

If you ignore it until it lets go then it will destroy the whole system.

Believe me...