Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Tires for learning/seat time??? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144327)

Jordanwolf 02-25-2021 06:55 PM

Tires for learning/seat time???

To quickly preface, I want tires primarily for seat time, so I want longevity and affordable in a 245/35/19 or 255/35/19.

I've been doing research for a while now, and mostly where I end up is people discussing tires for competing or tires they just generally like, hardly is it ever about tires to get the most straight up seat time and learning.

Here's two tires I've come across that are fairly affordable:

- Firehawk Indy 500 (which these have been talked about endlessly everywhere)
- Falken Azenis FK 510

I've been leaning at just calling it a day and getting the Indy 500's, but if there is a tire out there that happens to be the go to seat time and learning tire, I'd love to have something like that instead.

Edit: I'm driving a CTR, not a twin.

soundman98 02-25-2021 07:18 PM

the indy 500's are a summer only tire.

iirc, you're in canada, that has seasons... i really like the bfg comp2 a/s-- many of the same handling attributes as the stock tires, but a little stickier, and almost 1/4 of the expense of the oem tires.

but honestly, if price was not a factor, i loved the oem tires to learn the car with. despite the low limit, they were extremely predictable throughout their grip levels, as well as the way they transitioned from sliding to gripping. i hated the low level while i was driving with them, but they enhance a lot of the nuances of the chassis that make stickier tires almost feel numb in some aspects.

TommyW 02-25-2021 07:43 PM

19 is too big a wheel. Go with 17 or 18 and a 225. I ran the stock Primacies for my first track days and that was a good call. Learn to drive the car with hard, narrow tires. You'll be miles ahead in the long run

Jordanwolf 02-25-2021 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyW (Post 3409439)
19 is too big a wheel. Go with 17 or 18 and a 225. I ran the stock Primacies for my first track days and that was a good call. Learn to drive the car with hard, narrow tires. You'll be miles ahead in the long run

I guess I should mention I'm in a CTR, that's why I mentioned tire sizing.

soundman98 02-25-2021 07:48 PM

Well you should just sell that heap of trash and buy something decent.

Jordanwolf 02-25-2021 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundman98 (Post 3409433)
the indy 500's are a summer only tire.

iirc, you're in canada, that has seasons... i really like the bfg comp2 a/s-- many of the same handling attributes as the stock tires, but a little stickier, and almost 1/4 of the expense of the oem tires.

but honestly, if price was not a factor, i loved the oem tires to learn the car with. despite the low limit, they were extremely predictable throughout their grip levels, as well as the way they transitioned from sliding to gripping. i hated the low level while i was driving with them, but they enhance a lot of the nuances of the chassis that make stickier tires almost feel numb in some aspects.

My OEM happen to be fairly stick tires :o ... Continental Sport Contact 6. So I am definitely aiming for some less sticky, but that can hold up.

soundman98 02-25-2021 08:11 PM

yeah, i would suggest looking through tire rack for something similar to the michelin primacies--low grip, but extremely predictable, just without the nearly $400/tire price tag...

strat61caster 02-25-2021 08:26 PM

Hankook RS4 or the gt radial sx2
Maybe goodyear supercar 3 if they have a compatible size.

You need a tire that is designed to take track abuse, not just something cheap and less then sticky. Especially with the ctr that will work the fronts harder then the average sporty vehicle, you want a tire that is heat resistant, not something that will grease up and fade after a few laps like the firestone. Michelins chunk the edges, contis will too.

I think the firestone will be fine and you could do a lot worse, but you'll probably try something else afterwards, I did.

Code Monkey 02-25-2021 08:37 PM

Enkei Tuning TS-V 18x9.5 +40 with Falken Azenis RT615K+ 265/35/18. You can buy them as a package on TireRack.

Also get the HardRace Camber Adjusters and you can run up to -3.5 camber in front at stock height.

Jordanwolf 02-25-2021 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strat61caster (Post 3409461)
Hankook RS4 or the gt radial sx2
Maybe goodyear supercar 3 if they have a compatible size.

You need a tire that is designed to take track abuse, not just something cheap and less then sticky. Especially with the ctr that will work the fronts harder then the average sporty vehicle, you want a tire that is heat resistant, not something that will grease up and fade after a few laps like the firestone. Michelins chunk the edges, contis will too.

I think the firestone will be fine and you could do a lot worse, but you'll probably try something else afterwards, I did.

I realized this pretty much after disintegrating my winters front tires.

The SX2's do not come in 19 unfortunately (unless someone knows something I don't).. At least according to their website. I had looked this up a long while ago actually.

The RS4's appear to be a good deal pricier than the Goodyear Supercar 3.. At least where I'm currently looking, but prices could change. I also haven't seen any talk about these Goodyear Supercar 3 tires.. All I ever see is blah blah RE71 (rip), blah blah RT660.

TommyW 02-25-2021 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordanwolf (Post 3409442)
I guess I should mention I'm in a CTR, that's why I mentioned tire sizing.

And you're on an 86 forum? Dude....

ZDan 02-25-2021 09:18 PM

255/30-19 Bridgestone S007A on closeout at Tire Rack for $530 set of four...

Jordanwolf 02-25-2021 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyW (Post 3409484)
And you're on an 86 forum? Dude....

Sorry I must've gotten lost. Maybe I'll go ask the BMW guys. :bonk:

soundman98 02-25-2021 09:43 PM

Us 5x100's are clueless