Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Random Thoughts - Part III The Search for Spark (No Politics) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149034)

Ultramaroon 03-08-2022 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dadhawk (Post 3509541)
It was just the first movie reference I thought of that could be made semi car related, the Part Deux of the last was a reference to Hot Shots Part Deux, so I was trying to stay in theme (or at least I think it was).

I love it!

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/...fL._SY445_.jpg

Ultramaroon 03-08-2022 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG (Post 3509416)
Mine looks like that :scared0016:

It's ok. Just means you're comfortable. I have different regions where I generally shove different categories but the important stuff is all on backed-up network shares. THAT'S the really important part. My mantra to my flock at work has always been, "If it's only on your local machine, it doesn't exist."

soundman98 03-08-2022 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG (Post 3509522)
Kinda sucks I am moving farther from work but at least I can commute the motorcycle at around 60mpg with mixed riding. I have been considering selling my Xterra and picking up a Nissan Leaf for the winter time. Used ones can be had for a reasonable price because nobody wants them. The last few I looked at were under 6k.

Grom's are still about $3k...

I keep thinking about it.

I once liked the idea of an ev. It would work for everything I need daily except fun and utility. I also used to say once leafs dropped under $10k, I'd get one.

But I'm learning the truth is I can't bring myself to buy a Nissan. I'd rather a motorcycle to use on narrow dark back roads with deep ditches and potholes than a soul sucking nissan

Kiske 03-08-2022 11:32 PM

I'd take riding a dark, potholed road anyday over riding around other people in the city during broad daylight. Less risk and I feel naked without my car's cockpit/tinted windows. Scratching your bum at a red light intersection with a sportbike between your legs and 5 cars behind you is a nightmare!

Sapphireho 03-08-2022 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG (Post 3509522)
Kinda sucks I am moving farther from work but at least I can commute the motorcycle at around 60mpg with mixed riding. I have been considering selling my Xterra and picking up a Nissan Leaf for the winter time. Used ones can be had for a reasonable price because nobody wants them. The last few I looked at were under 6k.

I remember years ago a gal at work sold her civic and leased a Leaf. Her monthly electric bill went up $350. She said she usually spent about $60 on gas a month with her Honda. She didn't have the leaf long.

Spuds 03-09-2022 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundman98 (Post 3509573)
Grom's are still about $3k...

I keep thinking about it.

I once liked the idea of an ev. It would work for everything I need daily except fun and utility. I also used to say once leafs dropped under $10k, I'd get one.

But I'm learning the truth is I can't bring myself to buy a Nissan. I'd rather a motorcycle to use on narrow dark back roads with deep ditches and potholes than a soul sucking nissan

I did my license test on a Grom. I would totally get one to commute if 1, my wife hadn't banned motorcycles when my friend got into an accident and 2, it could keep up with traffic around here.

Note, my commute is only once or twice a week at most, working from home has it's upsides.

humfrz 03-09-2022 01:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sapphireho (Post 3509507)
Reminds me. My house has 4 built in desks, and we have one free standing. Not a one is mine. I'm ok with that.

Oh, just make do with what you have - :sigh:

spike021 03-09-2022 01:39 AM

I was thinking of grabbing a Honda Fit so I can lessen the miles I put on the BRZ and have a more pet-practical car, since Haru hates the BRZ and none of the harness/hammock things are made for the style of backseat we have. But they're still kinda pricey depending on MY. I've seen anywhere from 6-12k.

spcmafia 03-09-2022 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spike021 (Post 3509592)
I was thinking of grabbing a Honda Fit so I can lessen the miles I put on the BRZ and have a more pet-practical car, since Haru hates the BRZ and none of the harness/hammock things are made for the style of backseat we have. But they're still kinda pricey depending on MY. I've seen anywhere from 6-12k.

Same, I've been thinking about dropping the BRZ as a daily. Expensive gas? Sure, but that's the cost of owning a car. Decrease the miles so I can pass the car for generations to come? Absolutely. I'd settle for even a Civic.

Dadhawk 03-09-2022 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 3509561)
I..but the important stuff is all on backed-up network shares. THAT'S the really important part. My mantra to my flock at work has always been, "If it's only on your local machine, it doesn't exist."

At work, I've not kept anything on my laptop for years. It's either on a network share or now OneDrive. I also have "My Documents" rerouted to go straight there.

Capt Spaulding 03-09-2022 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spcmafia (Post 3509611)
Same, I've been thinking about dropping the BRZ as a daily. Expensive gas? Sure, but that's the cost of owning a car. Decrease the miles so I can pass the car for generations to come? Absolutely. I'd settle for even a Civic.

Since 2006 my daily has been my '06 F150. Not exactly a fuel sipper, but it's been paid for for 15 years, has a 4.2 V6 std trans, and manual everything else and as far as I can tell is close to infinitely repairable. That's the current plan. If/when the wife's Camry needs replacement the intent is to go EV. But, best laid plans and all.... We'll see.

I know it doesn't help everyone's wallets, but gas prices in the US have never covered the true cost of its consumption. A few economists have been pointing out the externalities built in to fossil fuel use for years and US energy policies have amounted to significant subsidies resulting in artificially low gas prices. Now that we've pretty much wrecked the planet, I suspect this particular piper's bill is going to be painfully difficult to pay.

ScoobsMcGee 03-09-2022 08:37 AM

Me when this thread started: "Okay, I'm going to keep up with this one as opposed to only adding out of context jokes."

Me two days and 7 pages later: "Never mind."

It's like a new year resolution, only it lasted longer.

Capt Spaulding 03-09-2022 08:58 AM

A quick question for the techie types. A lot of folks have been talking about data storage and computing hygiene - I've been thinking of putting together a NAS for several years and decided last' fall to go ahead with it. My son and I rebuilt my home desktop in December and I've put the old hardware in a cheap(ish) case. Planning to grab a couple of 6 to 8 TB NAS drives later in the month and run it on TrueNAS core.

Any suggestions? Things to watch for? Potential pitfalls?

Spuds 03-09-2022 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spike021 (Post 3509592)

That's why I bought my Hyundai Accent in 2016. Highway miles are boring miles I don't really need to put on my fun car. I had 60 of them per day at the time.