Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   "Upgrading" BRZ suspension without lowering (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142741)

holeeray 10-11-2020 05:03 PM

"Upgrading" BRZ suspension without lowering

So I've put on a few miles since I purchased this car a few days ago and I'm starting to get much more familiar with this car's handling characteristics. TBH, this car handles pretty fantastically for my driving ability so I don't want to go crazy here. Also, I don't really want to lower this car, but willing to drop the front a bit if I need to weight the front a bit to reach my goals.

I would like for the car to have a bit more "neutral" handling characteristics. As it is, I feel like the front does push a bit in really tight situations. I was also wondering if there was anything I could do increase the front end "feel" a little bit. I know tires would be the first choice, but I'm waiting for next season to decide on a wheel/tire combo upgrade. Is there any hardware out there that will compliment a good set of tires to get better feedback?

LancePower 10-11-2020 06:19 PM

Buy my tS Springs :thumbsup:

BlueWhelan 10-11-2020 06:39 PM

Camber. Even -1 degree will make a significant difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarkPira7e 10-11-2020 07:26 PM

Bilstein struts would be a great upgrade

BigTuna 10-12-2020 07:56 AM

You can just upgrade the shocks and keep the OEM springs, and/or you could upgrade one or both stabilizer bars. Negative camber is also a good suggestion.

Vital 10-12-2020 09:05 AM

Look into RCE Yellow springs. They will make the car feel more "neutral". Or like others said upgrading the shocks would be good too.

norcalpb 10-12-2020 01:33 PM

All really good answers in this thread.

I would also recommend the Perrin steering lockdown braces. They are really easy to install and give a positive steering feeling that I don’t know if I would want to be without even just daily driving.

Racecomp Engineering 10-12-2020 03:07 PM

The "OEM" front camber bolts are dirt cheap and get you a little bit of front camber...not a ton, but it's a really nice improvement. Aftermarket camber bolts are also cheap and will get you a little more.

Bilstein B6 is a nice upgrade from OEM 2015 struts, especially if they're getting old and crusty.

The Perrin steering lock down is a great cheap steering feel upgrade. Not a performance improvement, but they're nice.

Could start there for now until new wheels + tires, then think about if you want more.

- Andrew

solidONE 10-12-2020 04:04 PM

Bushings, bushing inserts. I'm really glad I did the diff inserts. Much more connected to the throttle, less delay. Rack and pinion bushings, I did but did not feel too big a difference. Slightly more communicative. I think the main culprit for lack of front feel and general wobbliness under high loads is the huge forward bushing on the LCA. As soon as I get around to installing I will have some feedback to that extent. I'm pretty sure tho.

holeeray 10-12-2020 04:45 PM

I dunno how to give "thanks" on this forum, but thanks for all the replies. Looks like I'll be starting with alignment settings, steering lockdown braces, and some bushings. I'll also be on the hunt for the Bilstein B6's since I can't seem to find them in stock right now.

I'll consider sway bars/strut braces, but gonna do a bit of research before I decide on the setup. Thanks again!

Racecomp Engineering 10-12-2020 07:01 PM

Yes bushings! Forgot to mention that.

We have a couple sets of Bilstein B6 on order...let me know if you'd like us to save you a set. We could also help you out with the Perrin steering kit and a few key bushings. We've been specializing in Subaru suspension for almost 20 years now. :)

- Andrew

black bnr32 10-16-2020 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solidONE (Post 3375209)
Bushings, bushing inserts. I'm really glad I did the diff inserts. Much more connected to the throttle, less delay. Rack and pinion bushings, I did but did not feel too big a difference. Slightly more communicative. I think the main culprit for lack of front feel and general wobbliness under high loads is the huge forward bushing on the LCA. As soon as I get around to installing I will have some feedback to that extent. I'm pretty sure tho.

Which front LCA bushings did you choose?

Replacing those bushings improved steering turn in very nicely on my M3s.

RToyo86 10-16-2020 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vital (Post 3375132)
Look into RCE Yellow springs. They will make the car feel more "neutral". Or like others said upgrading the shocks would be good too.

I'd +1 this.
I've already put roughly 10,000km on my RCE yellows since installing them in may/2020. Improved road feel and balance with around 50% stiffer spring rates. You'll also future proof running stickier tires. Factory springs are a bit soft when you start adding UHP/EHP tires.

You'll sacrifice some ride quality on rough roads using OE shocks. Otherwise it rides firm but not harsh. that is something you can solve with the bilsteins if/when needed.

Main drawback for you is a 20mm drop. It's very subtle and looks stock until you park next to another factory ride height car.

As others have said camber bolts. They're dirt cheap and will help with front grip when cornering.

holeeray 10-17-2020 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RToyo86 (Post 3376240)
I'd +1 this.
I've already put roughly 10,000km on my RCE yellows since installing them in may/2020. Improved road feel and balance with around 50% stiffer spring rates. You'll also future proof running stickier tires. Factory springs are a bit soft when you start adding UHP/EHP tires.

You'll sacrifice some ride quality on rough roads using OE shocks. Otherwise it rides firm but not harsh. that is something you can solve with the bilsteins if/when needed.

Main drawback for you is a 20mm drop. It's very subtle and looks stock until you park next to another factory ride height car.

As others have said camber bolts. They're dirt cheap and will help with front grip when cornering.

I think I could live with 20mm. My main worry is that there are a lot of speed bumps driveways with "steep" ramps around me. Bilstein B6's were suggested for stock springs, would they work with the RCE yellows?