Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Anyone else can't stand The R35 GTR? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130515)

Twinz 09-27-2018 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bfrank1972 (Post 3138144)
Sooooo..... any of you ever driven one? :D

Stats/measurements don't quantify this car. Agree on the looks of the car, not terrible but not quite as sexy as the older cars. But cannot deny the physics bending attributes of this car.

I have driven a few on course and it drives smaller then it looks. The electronics are amazing but they have the effect of making me feel like the car is the hero rather than the driver.

Don't get me wrong, the car doesn't drive itself, but when I get out of one after a run, I feel like almost anybody could hop in and do what I just did.

strat61caster 09-27-2018 12:23 PM

Hey! Old man!

I'm on your lawn!

https://99percentinvisible.org/app/u...44ec3aef_b.jpg

DarkPira7e 09-27-2018 12:32 PM

Never really was interested. I still admire it for its feats, but I like basic cars that are modified, rather than just being handed a monster. There's huge market appeal for Nissan to have done it this way, so I can accept that it exists. Let the 90s stay in the 90s, those of us who are not ready to move on can stay there too and complain in good company

WolfpackS2k 09-27-2018 12:49 PM

Nissan could easily have justified the cost of the R35's engine in an Infiniti Redline model or two. They'd be competing with AMG, who for the most part hand assembles their engines (used to be 100%, but no longer true as they whore out the brand). Their 4.0 liter V8 that's found in almost every AMG model is still hand built.

bfrank1972 09-27-2018 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkPira7e (Post 3138221)
Let the 90s stay in the 90s, those of us who are not ready to move on can stay there too and complain in good company

lol

Definitely a polarizing car and, IMHO, a landmark car in many ways. Up to when Nissan released the car, the idea was basically a car has to be light to be fun, responsive, compete with things like Porsche GT3's. Very few high performance cars weighed over 3500 lbs. I subscribed to the Colin Chapman mindset for many years - and in many ways it still holds true. But the R35 shows that there are many ways to skin a cat, and I believe it redefined perception on 'heavy' high performance cars. GT350's, SS 1LE's, Porsche 918, etc. I still prefer light cars (look at what I drive), but if you drive an R35, likely it will suprise you and earn your respect (despite video game stigma).

fang_gt86 09-27-2018 01:24 PM

She used to be gorgeous back in my college days. Now she's overweight and ugly.

Irace86.2.0 09-27-2018 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Summerwolf (Post 3138195)
The vq has been around since 94 in some way or another. Idk why they dont do like ford or Chevy and make a decent motor that fits almost everything. Seems like it would save money in the long run. Chevy has handbuilt motors and a production version of the same thing and has done that for a while....

How long has the LS and LT engines been around? I just don’t thing the VR motor is modular. It is more feasible to boost the VQ.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasquachulator (Post 3138197)
Im not a fan, but never really was a GTR fan to begin with

The R35 is also a heavyass pig, it was meant to appeal to the playstation crowd I think (including the numerous in dash status stuff, and the ability to download data to Gran Turismo when it first came out?)

It was meant to dominate on track for its class, and if you look at the Nürburgring times, it did that. It was also meant to be an affordable supercar, and at $80k’ish when it came out, it accomplished all its goals. Something can be only two things: powerful, light or inexpensive. Its more expensive rivals use carbon fiver chassis and other exotic components to be lighter, so they are astronomically (several times) more expensive, yet many are still not faster. That is a testament to the car.

Summerwolf 09-27-2018 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 (Post 3138267)
How long has the LS and LT engines been around? I just don’t thing the VR motor is modular. It is more feasible to boost the VQ.

97 was the introduction of the ls1.

2013 for the lt1.

Idk.... if they did something neat like that or trickled down some of the GTR lessons to build a better car it would make them interesting again. The variable compression motor is the most interesting thing to come from them in years.

Tk rocket 09-27-2018 03:23 PM

This isn't a question about the car's performance which of course is great. This is Nissan completely going a different direction with the car let alone one that doesn't even feel like it belongs in the same lineup. Cars of course or is evolve but even the latest Mustang for example still seems to share look wise with previous generations

86MLR 09-27-2018 04:53 PM

The GTR wasn't meant to be "modular", it was designed to be the pinnacle of Nissan sports cars.

If you want cheap, buy cheap.

Sound a bit like penis envy.

Kids these days.

Sapphireho 09-27-2018 04:57 PM

I see a lot of them here in Silicon Valley, and driving in the hills. They just don't impress me. To each his/her own.

86MLR 09-27-2018 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sapphireho (Post 3138350)
I see a lot of them here in Silicon Valley, and driving in the hills. They just don't impress me. To each his/her own.

Have chased one around a track?

Have you been a passenger in one when it's used in anger?

If you don't like the looks, dont buy one

What you cannot do is knock t their performance

Well you can, if you base your comments on you not having any experience

Sapphireho 09-27-2018 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86MLR (Post 3138356)
Have chased one around a track?

Have you been a passenger in one when it's used in anger?

If you don't like the looks, dont buy one

What you cannot do is knock t their performance

Well you can, if you base your comments on you not having any experience

I think OP was asking for opinions. I gave mine.

Summerwolf 09-27-2018 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86MLR (Post 3138348)
The GTR wasn't meant to be "modular", it was designed to be the pinnacle of Nissan sports cars.

If you want cheap, buy cheap.

Sound a bit like penis envy.

Kids these days.

No one said anything about the gtr being modular. I stated I'm a little surprised they hadn't trickled down the motor in some form or another, or invested in making that somewhat modular. Think big 3 and you'll get where I was going.

You're on a ft86 forum, obviously you're buying cheap.

Where did a penis come in to conversation? Sounds like it's on your mind..... go get some.

Kids? :iono: