Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Software Tuning (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Can custom tune get rid of torque dip on stock headers/exhaust? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145974)

Teppka 07-02-2021 08:03 PM

Can custom tune get rid of torque dip on stock headers/exhaust?

Not planing to change any engine/exhaust hardware for a few years and am wandering if software tuning can solve or at least considerably improve torque dip? Tune will be custom, done by the tuner, no ready presets.

Thanks.

jflogerzi 07-02-2021 08:34 PM

OFT can help but on stock everything without e85 that dip will still be there. It will be mitigated but not gone?

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Lantanafrs2 07-02-2021 11:14 PM

Not as far as I know

PulsarBeeerz 07-02-2021 11:57 PM

No, it is a hardware issue.

DarkSunrise 07-03-2021 01:40 AM

This is about what you can expect with a nearly stock car and a tune:

http://imageshack.us/a/img89/2433/8poo.jpg

You reduce the duration of the torque dip by 500 rpm (3200-4200 vs. 3200-4700 rpm).

Only you can say whether you consider that a considerable improvement or not.

Teppka 07-03-2021 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkSunrise (Post 3446437)
This is about what you can expect with a nearly stock car and a tune:

http://imageshack.us/a/img89/2433/8poo.jpg

You reduce the duration of the torque dip by 500 rpm (3200-4200 vs. 3200-4700 rpm).

Only you can say whether you consider that a considerable improvement or not.

Thanks. Would changing headers along with really make a difference? Changing headers only with rest of the exhaust remaining stock.

DarkSunrise 07-03-2021 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teppka (Post 3446439)
Thanks. Would changing headers along with really make a difference? Changing headers only with rest of the exhaust remaining stock.

Short answer is yes. The Ace and JDL 4-2-1 headers both add significant power in that 3200-4700 RPM band but you'll need a custom tune (which it sounds like you're planning to do anyway).

Alternatively nearly any catless header + E85 (if you have access to it) will eliminate the torque dip as well.

TommyW 07-03-2021 11:25 AM

Not doing headers is a waste. It makes a huge difference. All I have is headers and a dyno tune by Zach and the car just woke up. HUGE difference

jflogerzi 07-03-2021 11:38 AM

Agree with others. Get tune and header and leave everything else. I just drove my car stock at my local time attack/go kart track. It's a pretty low speed course and a header a tune was worth just about a second or a bit more. Normal laps for me are low 46s or high 45s. Was in low 47s and high 46s. 100% worth it

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

sneaky_pete 07-04-2021 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teppka (Post 3446439)

I went with catless UEL headers and overpipe (came as a kit) and left the rest of the exhaust bone stock. K & N drop in. Stage 2+ OFT tune.

It makes a real difference to the car, as other have said it wakes the car up. Really happy with it.

In terms of power and torque there is not much to be had after you get past the front pipe and even the replacing the front pipe won't yield much apart from more noise.

saltywetman 07-04-2021 07:06 AM

Anything after headers is more for sound unless you boost the car. Header + tune is pretty much a must have mid for the first gen twins after better tires

Teppka 07-08-2021 04:15 AM

And would changing headers + tune eliminate the torque dip completely? I read controversial opinions, some say it will, some it will not. Also cat vs castles, something I don't really get. If bought with cat, assuming it's an aftermarket product can it malfunction in future? In my country I will pass emission tests without cst just fine.

Dzmitry 07-08-2021 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teppka (Post 3447458)
And would changing headers + tune eliminate the torque dip completely? I read controversial opinions, some say it will, some it will not. Also cat vs castles, something I don't really get. If bought with cat, assuming it's an aftermarket product can it malfunction in future? In my country I will pass emission tests without cst just fine.

Don't think so deep into it. Is "looking at a graph with an eliminated torque dip" what you're looking for? Or are you just looking for a nice improvement in driving and power? A simple answer is, it more or less eliminates the dip - at least it FEELS like it does, and that's all that should matter to you.

Yes, ALL cats can malfunction over time, no cat lasts forever. Cat-less is the better way to go if your emission rules allow it or you can get past it, as there will be a little more power to gain.

Teppka 07-08-2021 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzmitry (Post 3447505)
Don't think so deep into it. Is "looking at a graph with an eliminated torque dip" what you're looking for? Or are you just looking for a nice improvement in driving and power? A simple answer is, it more or less eliminates the dip - at least it FEELS like it does, and that's all that should matter to you.

Yes, ALL cats can malfunction over time, no cat lasts forever. Cat-less is the better way to go if your emission rules allow it or you can get past it, as there will be a little more power to gain.

Well, some part, or all of the FEEL maybe a placebo effect after tuning/changing headers. Specially considering the possible hp/torque boost as well as torque dip improvement values are minor. It's still an investment and I'd rather trust boring dyno data.