Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Critique my Widebody plans/budget (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137836)

HaXx 11-19-2019 02:38 PM

Critique my Widebody plans/budget

Im trying to do as much research as possible, and ask as many questions up front so i can maximize having to buy parts once, right the first time.
im not trying to slap a list together in my mind and have everything go terribly wrong, so im reaching out to those who know, and have more experience than i do
as its going to be static so im not looking to slam it to the ground, but im not a performance driver so i dont need racing parts that would make trackies mouths water. any critique is appreciated, what im getting right, what ill want to reconsider, and anything i completely omitted. :thanks:

1. THE KIT
Rallybacker v2 16pc (purchased)------------------------$2000
Professional install (quoted)------------------------------$2000
Painting kit to existing oe color-------------------------$2000

2. PLATFORM & HANDLING
fortune auto 500 9k/8k (purchased/installed)-------------$900
wtb used rlca's and toe arms ------------------------------$500

3. WHEELS + TIRES
18x10.5 +15 and spacers--------------------------------------$1600
or
custom 3p-------------------------------------------------------$3000
Tires-----------------------------------------------------------$550

im trying to be conservative/high with my estimates, i know i could get bc coils for 500, and used lca's for much less, xxr's for $800, but i want to buy nice, not twice.:respekt:
i researched a ton, and did lots of budgeting before getting a JRSC installed and dyno'd and it payed off when it came time to pull the trigger.:w00t:
im not saying this is the only way i want it done, im willing to spend more, i want to do whats right, and im reaching out to you for advice.

JD001 11-19-2019 02:48 PM

Do you work in accounts or budget setting department?

DarkPira7e 11-19-2019 02:52 PM

I promise if your goal is to buy nice, not twice, you should not buy used suspension components. For what you're spending, just buy new. Step down on your coilover preference unless you're trying to track the car (The KW V1 or ST coilovers are perfect)

If you're planning on going really low, especially with the power you're making, I'd budget in to afford axles fairly often.

norcalpb 11-19-2019 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkPira7e (Post 3276718)
I promise if your goal is to buy nice, not twice, you should not buy used suspension components. For what you're spending, just buy new. Step down on your coilover preference unless you're trying to track the car (The KW V1 or ST coilovers are perfect)

If you're planning on going really low, especially with the power you're making, I'd budget in to afford axles fairly often.

Also going used for axles is pretty smart. I bought used 2015 axles for $180 shipped whereas they would’ve been $800 + tax from the dealership

Irace86.2.0 11-19-2019 03:15 PM

$1000 for paint seems way off.

86MLR 11-19-2019 03:31 PM

Double or triple your budget for install work if you want a good job.

I know of a wide body build that cost around $10k, that was install and paint, body prep prior to kit install takes alot of time to do right.

Unless you just do a hack job like most wide body installs.

Milhouse86 11-19-2019 03:44 PM

That's a good start. I would double the paint and install budgets. Prepare for the worst and let your surprises be good. I know you think you passed the number but not nearly enough.

Suspension I agree with whoever above said downgrade. If your not tracking and just want a slight drop why not RCE yellows?

Stock car really has a great setup for daily. Definitely do not pay $2k for coilovers unless you want to go tracking/autocrossing whatever. Or if you have enough money you don't care.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Soloside 11-19-2019 04:33 PM

2. PLATFORM & HANDLING
Used $1500-$2000 coilovers (rce's or csg flx a's) -------------$1500 These are gonna be a little soft, you'll probably want something atleast 9k spring rate range
used rlca's (ideally spl's?) and toe arms -----------------------$750

3. WHEELS & TIRES

Your wheel specs are way off. I suggest you sit down and do some math on what offsets you need. I can give you a general starting point. You'll want around 18x9.5 -10 ish on the fronts and around 18x11 -25 ish on the rears.

86MLR 11-19-2019 05:04 PM

2k for coils is fair to me, for 2k you can get performance and comfort.

I don't track this thing but coils let me choose my drop, 20mm, and they came with adjustable top hats.

My MCA street performance coil overs piss on the OEM Sachs for performance as well as comfort.

https://mcasuspension.com/products

I would spend my money on handling before huge rims and tyres. But then I don't even like wide bodies and/or big rims on cars that don't need the rubber.

How long will the body work last before rusting out is another factor to look at, plus lose of value at resale.....meh

Clutch Dog 11-19-2019 05:19 PM

I have a set of nice AST 5100's with camber plates id sell for 2000. helper springs and huge adjustment with ride height and dampening

Clutch Dog 11-19-2019 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86MLR (Post 3276728)
Double or triple your budget for install work if you want a good job..

also this

the trick with wide body-ing a car is getting that fender clearance. youll want a semi decent cut to weld up the body again, but its not just weld. its weld, seam sealer, primer and then paint. then you want to make splash guards for the kit too. all that is custom work and takes time and money to do it right

VIP BRZ 11-19-2019 05:27 PM

I had my rocketbunny v2 installed for $2000 looks great

But i agree, double your paint budget

HaXx 12-10-2019 11:15 AM

little bit of an update:
the kit has arrived from japan

rallybacker v2 --------$2100 shipped (black friday 10% 0ff)
paint---------------------------$2000 (have not had an estimate yet)
install--------------------------$2000 (qoute from literally the nicest shop i could find, EASTSIDE MOTORING 10+ widebody installs personally done by the tech im speaking to, but they dont do paint there)

coils -------------------$900 second hand fortune auto includes toe extension arms
rlca----------------------------$3-500 still looking for used ones

18x10.5 wheels-------$1600
ss595 255/35-----------------$400
spacers------------------------$whatever

total------------------~$9,500
thats without custom 3p wheels. and cheap tires. i dont really dig 3p. im still liking the gold pf01
im using wheel it fit, but finding that real world measure are drastically different so im going to try a bunch of stuff on at the shop and see what i actually want
for a while i was considering trying it on lowering springs but i was like jesus f, ill just save up another two months and do it right.

Soloside 12-10-2019 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaXx (Post 3281963)
little bit of an update:
the kit has arrived from japan

rallybacker v2 --------$2100 shipped (black friday 10% 0ff)
paint---------------------------$2000 (have not had an estimate yet)
install--------------------------$2000 (qoute from literally the nicest shop i could find, EASTSIDE MOTORING 10+ widebody installs personally done by the tech im speaking to, but they dont do paint there)

coils -------------------$900 second hand fortune auto includes toe extension arms
rlca----------------------------$3-500 still looking for used ones

18x10.5 wheels-------$1600
ss595 255/35-----------------$400
spacers------------------------$whatever

total------------------~$9,500
thats without custom 3p wheels. and cheap tires. i dont really dig 3p. im still liking the gold pf01
im using wheel it fit, but finding that real world measure are drastically different so im going to try a bunch of stuff on at the shop and see what i actually want
for a while i was considering trying it on lowering springs but i was like jesus f, ill just save up another two months and do it right.

Save up a little more and buy 3P wheels.

Or you can just buy my car XD