Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Software Tuning (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Datalogging 2nd gear pull? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62345)

1Cor10:23 04-02-2014 09:25 PM

Datalogging 2nd gear pull?

Hi all,

I know it's been said that best data is typically a 3rd gear pull but for those that want to respect the speed limit as best as they can, how off would a 2nd gear pull be?

Lytheum 04-02-2014 09:40 PM

3rd or 4th gear gives you a lot more data to look at because they take longer to run out. You'll get the same data, but a smaller sample size.

Luckrider 04-03-2014 02:21 PM

Note, you can't just do the run at lower throttle to get more data because it needs to be a WOT pull.

1Cor10:23 04-03-2014 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luckrider (Post 1646747)
Note, you can't just do the run at lower throttle to get more data because it needs to be a WOT pull.

Yes of course, haha. That much, I get.

jamesm 04-03-2014 02:41 PM

you'll want to do runs in 3rd gear, so that the ramp rate allows sufficient time to gather data, especially with lower sampling rates (anything less than 16-18hz). i have to do my pulls in 4th for high boost now because it just spins all the way through 3rd, so i know what you mean about high speed being a bad thing. it gets hairy sometimes :).

also i believe you're na, but for anyone with FI you'll want to remember to turn traction control off before the pulls. it will close the throttle and ruin your run.

Luckrider 04-03-2014 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesm (Post 1646791)
you'll want to do runs in 3rd gear, so that the ramp rate allows sufficient time to gather data, especially with lower sampling rates (anything less than 16-18hz). i have to do my pulls in 4th for high boost now because it just spins all the way through 3rd, so i know what you mean about high speed being a bad thing. it gets hairy sometimes :).

also i believe you're na, but for anyone with FI you'll want to remember to turn traction control off before the pulls. it will close the throttle and ruin your run.

You need more grip too though. My 245/40R17s would probably do you nicely.

Sportsguy83 04-03-2014 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luckrider (Post 1646801)

LOL... 265's Michelin PSS are not enough already...

Any other tire with noticeably more grip= unsafe for street/rain conditions.

jamesm 04-03-2014 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luckrider (Post 1646801)

yeah it's pretty hopeless. we have the same problems on the cars with stickier rubber, just to a lesser degree. The only hope for traction (without killing power) with any reasonable street tire at high boost is custom map based traction control. it also has the happy side effect of cool noises.

xjohnx 04-03-2014 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesm (Post 1646791)

I've found that I'm able to get sampling rates of up to 16hz by cutting back on the parameters that are logged when using my new laptop from work (HP ProBook). What kind of rates have you been seeing?

jamesm 04-03-2014 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xjohnx (Post 1646865)
I've found that I'm able to get sampling rates of up to 16hz by cutting back on the parameters that are logged when using my new laptop from work (HP ProBook). What kind of rates have you been seeing?

anywhere from 16-32hz with the new windows laptop (cheap acer from best buy). depends upon not only the number of channels, but which channels you are sampling. some channels cost you nothing at all, where others cost 2-3hz by themselves. i think it's the obd channels that slow it down, but i'm not really sure. i know logging the ecutek-specific stuff is fast (custom map results, sd stuff and what not).

steve99 04-04-2014 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesm (Post 1646888)
anywhere from 16-32hz with the new windows laptop (cheap acer from best buy). depends upon not only the number of channels, but which channels you are sampling. some channels cost you nothing at all, where others cost 2-3hz by themselves. i think it's the obd channels that slow it down, but i'm not really sure. i know logging the ecutek-specific stuff is fast (custom map results, sd stuff and what not).

found the same with Tactrix logging

Reading direct RAM address = fast 20Hz or so
Reading OBD parameters = slow

1Cor10:23 04-04-2014 01:42 AM

So I did the 3rd gear pull and wow, my IAM was screwed up , and this was on vpower 91 (1.5 gallon remaining - immediately topped up with 94 E10) - started at .57 and slowly went up to .86 at end of drive.

I've documented my issues here on this thread if any of you would like to chime in, would greatly appreciate it!