Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Limited PP vs tS: That much of a difference? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139285)

Offyman 03-07-2020 10:55 AM

Limited PP vs tS: That much of a difference?

(Couldn't find a discussion when I did a search. Apologies if I missed one.)

Thinking about purchasing either one.

But is there that much of a difference between the Limited PP trim and the tS? Other than the 18" wheels, special paint, and "exclusivity", they seem to identical.

What am I missing? TY

Tcoat 03-07-2020 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Offyman (Post 3306371)
(Couldn't find a discussion when I did a search. Apologies if I missed one.)

Thinking about purchasing either one.

But is there that much of a difference between the Limited PP trim and the tS? Other than the 18" wheels, special paint, and "exclusivity", they seem to identical.

What am I missing? TY

There are also some minor differences in braces, stiffening and suspension tuning but they are not huge.
The Ts has the red highlights but you don't get the foglights.
When I was shopping for a replacement for my current car I personally decided that the Ts did not warrant the price difference for my purposes.

JCC 03-07-2020 11:26 AM

Subscribed.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Kiske 03-07-2020 11:46 AM

You get a lot less in 2020.

-1/300 cars with Ceramic White Paint, cherry bumper accents, unique gloss black 'vents,' black pearl mirrors and tS badging.

-18" Bronze Sti Wheels wrapped in Michelin Pilot Sport tires.

-Sti Tuned Sachs Dampers
-Sti Tuned Pink Springs
-Sti Draw Stiffeners
-Sti Flexible V-Braces
-Sti Tuned VCS Button with Track Mode
-More Red interior (Push Start, Seat Bolsters, Seatbelts, Steering Wheel, Door Panel...)
-A few of the silver plastic interior pieces are not a gunmetal color.

Is it worth it? Up to you.

Do you like solid white?

Can you buy all the tS parts and put them on a regular PP BRZ for the cost you can buy the tS and it's $2600 MSRP difference? Nope.

If your the type of person who will be buying new wheels, coilovers/lowering springs, and tires right out the gate. Your already there with the price difference.

BlueWhelan 03-07-2020 06:34 PM

I just drove a ts today...its not a huge difference from my PP equipped MY'13. The biggest OEM difference is the tires, which have WAY more grip then the tires that come on a Performance Pack car. The ts suspension is tuned for this elevated grip level, but the ride is noticeably firmer. Didn't drive the ts in anger (dealer test drive), but my modest driving impressions told me that if you put a decent amount of camber in the front it would be absolutely stellar. Thing is, that's the same issue with the PP, which is pretty good in it's own right.

What I did notice immediately was the steering feels better....less delay from your inputs and better feel overall. However, I'm pretty certain most of that comes from the vastly superior Michelin Sport 4S tires. Put those on a PP and you are 86 (heh) percent of the way there.

Drive train is identical. Interior is subjective, though I do like it more.

Personally, unless you are dead set on not getting aftermarket suspension at some point and want to keep it OEM, I would save your money and get a Performance Pack car. The dealer I was just at wanted over $33K for their ts. IMO, anything over $30k for any 86 is loony tunes. Especially considering its no longer available in a color I'd want (World Rally Blue).

chaoskaze 03-07-2020 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueWhelan (Post 3306528)
What I did notice immediately was the steering feels better....less delay from your inputs and better feel overall. However, I'm pretty certain most of that comes from the vastly superior Michelin Sport 4S tires. Put those on a PP and you are 86 (heh) percent of the way there.

it's partly from the strew stiffener too but you can install those youself. :bonk:

I don't know if the US ts had extra insulation for firewall like the 2015 jdm tS. But I figure that's something that they put into newer model since 2017.

AlexBRZ2 03-07-2020 07:15 PM

As earlier stated, if you plan on changing wheels later on, it may be worth it. I just wish they had some kind of more exciting color than white. The white with bronze does look good but the series hyperblue and yellow just looked incredible imo.

Offyman 03-08-2020 09:33 PM

Thanks for the replies & feedback. Leaning toward the Limited PP.

Tcoat 03-09-2020 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Offyman (Post 3306850)
Thanks for the replies & feedback. Leaning toward the Limited PP.

If you plan to track the additional stiffness of the tS may come in handy. If just street driving you will probably never be able to put that to good use (not legally at any rate).

WolfpackS2k 03-09-2020 12:55 PM

Personally, I think that if you have minimal plans to mod the car down the road, and like the way the white paint color looks, it's a no brainer to go for the tS.

That argument, from me however, is made assuming we are talking MSRP vs MSRP. If you could, for instance, negotiate the PP Limited down around $29k (or lower) than it would make sense to go for the PP Limited.

Tcoat 03-09-2020 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k (Post 3307042)
Personally, I think that if you have minimal plans to mod the car down the road, and like the way the white paint color looks, it's a no brainer to go for the tS.

That argument, from me however, is made assuming we are talking MSRP vs MSRP. If you could, for instance, negotiate the PP Limited down around $29k (or lower) than it would make sense to go for the PP Limited.

This is valid as well. You could even go the other way and say that there may be more room for the dealer to play with pricing on the tS so it could be possible to get it at a deal where it beats the rest.

LancePower 03-09-2020 01:26 PM

I got my tS for almost $3K under MSRP.

nextcar 03-09-2020 01:27 PM

Another thing to consider on the tS...

The 18 inch wheels supplied are heavy. Did you notice the tS is rated for 2MPG less than the limited with PP? Identical drivetrain and gearing... The lowered fuel economy is largely weight related - and the wheels are a significant contributor.

BlueWhelan 03-09-2020 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nextcar (Post 3307065)
Another thing to consider on the tS...

The 18 inch wheels supplied are heavy. Did you notice the tS is rated for 2MPG less than the limited with PP? Identical drivetrain and gearing... The lowered fuel economy is largely weight related - and the wheels are a significant contributor.

Not to mention the aero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk