Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   STX Setup - Exhaust Sound Limit - JDL EL Header (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144114)

RT-BRZ 02-05-2021 10:55 PM

STX Setup - Exhaust Sound Limit - JDL EL Header

I'm getting everything ready for STX this season. First, here is my setup:

2013 Subaru BRZ
-K&N Panel Filter
-Feal Coilovers
-17x9's with 255 RT660's
-Tomei Expreme Ti 60S
-2.5" Over Pipe
-Berk 2.5" Catted front pipe with added resonator
-JDL 4-2-1 Catless Header
-Delicious Tuning Tune

The "problem" is that this combo is really loud. I worry that I'll break the Db limit for our events and I have a good reason to believe it because I got the catback Tomei from a fellow autocrosser who ran it with the Nameless EL header and it didn't make the sound requirements for him either. When I had the stock header/over/front pipe with that exhaust it was fine but the new setup is possibly too much.

So, what does everyone recommend as a replacement catback exhaust? I was considering the MXP Comp RS but there isn't a lot of point in replacing one that's too loud with another that's too loud.

jflogerzi 02-06-2021 12:53 AM

Look at the csg 86 tourning exhaust. Or go back to stock exhaust

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

strat61caster 02-06-2021 02:47 AM

Resonated Perrin 2.5 is pretty popular in autox

RT-BRZ 02-06-2021 07:26 AM

Just to be clear, I'm not really looking for quiet. I just need it to be inside the 104db limit. As a Solo chair it's bad form for me not to be able to pass sound.

Would the Invidia Q300 achieve this? The Perrin looks nice but it's pushing the budget too much. I'm not building a show car.

Breadman 02-06-2021 11:22 AM

i had nearly the same setup on mine but with ace headers and got warned once. i moved to a jdl ultra quiet and an hks single exit and it still loud but not as loud. im pretty sure it is mostly the jdl midpipe tho

RT-BRZ 02-06-2021 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breadman (Post 3404796)
i had nearly the same setup on mine but with ace headers and got warned once. i moved to a jdl ultra quiet and an hks single exit and it still loud but not as loud. im pretty sure it is mostly the jdl midpipe tho

Yeah, I can see how the JDL ultra quiet front pipe would probably help. I can't quite decide if it's just noise or tone I want to change too. The Tomei exhaust with the high flow system definitely has the buzzing bee issue going on and if I can find an alternative that doesn't have that tone then I'm probably good.

Breezio 02-06-2021 12:44 PM

Go back to stock front pipe, or stock catback?

I'm way under sound limits with my HKS Hi-power cat back and catless header, but I'm still stock over pipe and front pipe.

Breadman 02-06-2021 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RT-BRZ (Post 3404797)
Yeah, I can see how the JDL ultra quiet front pipe would probably help. I can't quite decide if it's just noise or tone I want to change too. The Tomei exhaust with the high flow system definitely has the buzzing bee issue going on and if I can find an alternative that doesn't have that tone then I'm probably good.

ace + 60s sounds like the tin mans asshole playing a trumpet. its the thinness of that makes it rasp. i have a video of jdl ultra quiet vs just a highflow cat but the sound is kind of bad https://youtu.be/j8zjqjoiUdw?t=74
looks like the time stamp doesnt work so it starts at 1:14 for the sound samples

RT-BRZ 02-06-2021 01:08 PM

OK, this helps confirm what I suspected. I may have a total sound problem that I'll have manage but it's more that the titanium exhaust is so thin and the dynamics of the metal make it sound so terrible.

Makes sense. Thanks for all of the input guys.

Breadman 02-06-2021 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RT-BRZ (Post 3404810)
OK, this helps confirm what I suspected. I may have a total sound problem that I'll have manage but it's more that the titanium exhaust is so thin and the dynamics of the metal make it sound so terrible.

Makes sense. Thanks for all of the input guys.

here is my hks vs 60s if it helps any too. also note i had an exhaust leak that i didnt know about when i filmed which is why i unlisted the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP0Nv8C0Tw4

TommyW 02-06-2021 01:32 PM

CSG 86 Touring. After adding the header my TRD catback, which is a mellow exhaust, was WAY too loud for me. Not that it didn’t sound good but I didn’t even like driving the car except on the track. I got the 86 Touring and it has a nice tone and passed 90db at Laguna without lifting at the sound booth

RT-BRZ 02-06-2021 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breadman (Post 3404816)
here is my hks vs 60s if it helps any too. also note i had an exhaust leak that i didnt know about when i filmed which is why i unlisted the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP0Nv8C0Tw4

Yeah, that definitely settles it. I could probably put just about anything on there and have it sound better.

I really appreciate it.

PulsarBeeerz 02-06-2021 10:42 PM

I'm running a catless HKS header, 2.75" catless front pipe and switched from a resonated Perrin to a CSG Touring. Night and day. I hear more of my intake induction than the exhaust, its great!

steverife 02-07-2021 04:16 PM

I hope you don't really mean 104 db.

I've got the JDL 4-2-1 EL, the JDL Ultra Quiet FP/OP, and the Invidia Q300 and I blow low 80's. I'm guessing the same JDL setup with a Nameless track pipe was easily over 100. It was significantly louder than an STS Honda setup that was in the 98 db neighborhood.