Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Modified Exhaust Ticket Help (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120602)

exTempus 07-23-2017 05:01 PM

Modified Exhaust Ticket Help

Just got a ticket for "modified exhaust to amplify noise." I have burnt titanium (obv doesn't look stock) Invidia n1 catback, the rest is stock. Ticket was from Chino, CA pd. I put in my silencers and took it to Rancho CHP, the officer immediately told me it HAS TO BE STOCK. I'm thinking he is just an asshole because the only law I found for modified exhaust is no more than 95db @ 3/4 redline and emissions. Pretty damn sure the n1 doesn't get THAT loud (especially with silencers in), and I still have both cat's.

Maybe I should try a different PD to write it off?
Thoughts / Experience?

Sapphireho 07-23-2017 05:16 PM

From what I understand, as long as cat forward is unmolested, you can do anything cat back in cal. As long as it meets sound requirements.

You either caught the cop after he fought with his wife, or you are really loud, or you did something to piss the cop off.

Tcoat 07-23-2017 05:40 PM

"every passenger vehicle operated off the highways shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and proper maintained so as to meet the requirements of Article 2.5" - Does not say must be stock.

"The Department of Motor Vehicles may accept a dealer's certificate as proof of compliance with this article" - Call around and see if there is some exhaust shop that actually will measure it.

The measuring criteria is actually pretty stringent.

"The exhaust noise of vehicles manufactured after 1967 may exceed 95 dB(A) if the replacement parts are no louder than the original equipment" - Maybe this is what the second cop was saying?

Read all this:
http://www.bobsmuffler.com/noise.htm

Zhangy 07-23-2017 05:55 PM

trd is the best

Summerwolf 07-23-2017 06:12 PM

Can you not just pay the fine?

strat61caster 07-23-2017 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Summerwolf (Post 2950479)
Can you not just pay the fine?

I believe "fix it tickets" the person must show proof that the violation was corrected before they can pay.

PetrolioBenzina 07-24-2017 01:07 PM

The real source of the problem is "CA".

Teseo 07-24-2017 01:20 PM

Paint the tips?

DandoX 07-24-2017 01:37 PM

Man that sucks, I think your best bet is to try a different pd like you said. If that doesn't work keep returning (at different times) to get a different officer to sign off. Also be super nice when you come and try and chat them up before they look at the car. If that doesn't work you may be stuck with installing stock exhaust for the dam fix it ticket then switch back it's a bitch but I'm not sure that you have many other options. You can also try calling the pd to clairify the law before you arrive to test the waters if you might get another **** cop.

exTempus 07-24-2017 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DandoX (Post 2950839)
Man that sucks, I think your best bet is to try a different pd like you said. If that doesn't work keep returning (at different times) to get a different officer to sign off. Also be super nice when you come and try and chat them up before they look at the car. If that doesn't work you may be stuck with installing stock exhaust for the dam fix it ticket then switch back it's a bitch but I'm not sure that you have many other options. You can also try calling the pd to clairify the law before you arrive to test the waters if you might get another **** cop.

Yea I guess I gotta try multiple times.

exTempus 07-24-2017 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teseo (Post 2950833)
Paint the tips?

I was thinking painting then with Plasti dip so they look"less modified". Don't think it can handle that heat though.

exTempus 07-24-2017 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PetrolioBenzina (Post 2950825)
The real source of the problem is "CA".

Yea, we got some dumb ass laws.

strat61caster 07-24-2017 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exTempus (Post 2951002)
I was thinking painting then with Plasti dip so they look"less modified". Don't think it can handle that heat though.

Save your money and don't wreck the look you paid so much for, either they're testing you to a law or they aren't.

Yes that other cop was an asshole. When he says it has to be stock politely reply "Oh I did not know that sir, what section of the vehicle code is that under so I can understand better?"

PetrolioBenzina 07-24-2017 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strat61caster (Post 2951011)
Save your money and don't wreck the look you paid so much for, either they're testing you to a law or they aren't.

Yes that other cop was an asshole. When he says it has to be stock politely reply "Oh I did not know that sir, what section of the vehicle code is that under so I can understand better?"

That's a bold strategy, Cotton!