Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Stingray vs. Modified Twin (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115690)

BR-ZED 02-17-2017 05:46 PM

Stingray vs. Modified Twin

The other day, saw a used C7 Stingray drop below $40k...

So here is the debate... Which would be more fun as a mixed daily driver, track toy, and autocross car? A Stingray or a BRZ/FRS with a $20k build budget?

If you choose the twin, what would be your build plan, and where would you project ending up in terms of HP/TQ/weight?

fang_gt86 02-17-2017 06:02 PM

DD: C7>FRS/BRZ
Track toy: C7>FRS/BRZ
AutoX: 86>C7

If you drop $20k into the FRS/BRZ, no doubt it'll be just as fun, if not more than the C7.

dem00n 02-17-2017 07:37 PM

I'd rather take the Stingray.

I've seen a few FRS get into single digits lately. For $50k you could have both!

trigger happy 02-18-2017 12:24 AM

Stingray.... all day

Summerwolf 02-18-2017 12:43 AM

C7 in every regard.

Ultramaroon 02-18-2017 01:24 AM

Which do you prefer driving?

Vette for autocross? Haha... no thanks.

synchromesh 02-18-2017 02:30 AM

The issue is that the doggone Stingray doesn't have a hand brake(although a big screen TV at the Chevy dealership showed a Corvette honing{sp}; indicating an e-brake isn't entirely necessary. On the other hand, a fabricated one wouldn't cost more than a months salary is an educated guess.

synchromesh 02-18-2017 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 2855452)

We don't want ghetto birds too too often but don't be surprised they will set up autocross attaching mini mall to mini mall.

Summerwolf 02-18-2017 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 2855452)

Why not? Modern (ish) c4 and above corvettes do incredibly well at autocross.

BR-ZED 02-18-2017 11:46 AM

I guess it just blows my mind how many people build the BRZ up to high horsepower levels when they could have just sold it to buy a Stingray with the same amount of money. I'm trying to decide between a Street modified build for autocross with a BRZ or just getting a stingray.

I think it be fun to build the car rather than just buy it as is. I like to mod my cars but at the same time I'm worried that the modified BRZ won't be very reliable and will just frustrate me in the end.

But I also think the BRZ is the better platform since its 700 lbs lighter... At least compared to the 3LT Z51. I originally got the BRZ because used lotuses just started going up in price.

Ultramaroon 02-18-2017 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Summerwolf (Post 2855544)
Why not? Modern (ish) c4 and above corvettes do incredibly well at autocross.

Too fat.

PWBRZ 02-18-2017 02:37 PM

After driving my brother-in-law's C7 convertible I would vote for C7. Although the BRZ steering feels more precise and it is quite fun to thrash within an inch of its life. The Vette is a great well-rounded sports car and I think would work better with daily driving duties. It would, like the BRZ, be great fun at the track though cost of consumables (tires) would be significantly greater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ultramaroon 02-18-2017 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PWBRZ (Post 2855621)
After driving my brother-in-law's C7 convertible I would vote for C7. Although the BRZ steering feels more precise and it is quite fun to thrash within an inch of its life. The Vette is a great well-rounded sports car and I think would work better with daily driving duties. It would, like the BRZ, be great fun at the track though cost of consumables (tires) would be significantly greater.

Which one feels better getting thrashed? I think it can be described as the difference between "woo hoo!" and "aarrrrgh!"

Cole 02-18-2017 04:05 PM

I'd go for a C7. Looking back at buying the FRS, I'm kinda kicking myself, because of all the other cars I could've bought in the same, or 10-15k more. On the other hand, I could have bought a Yaris and not went down the modding rabbit hole and stuff.