Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Subaru p.n. for front bearings/hub for PP/Brembos (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149808)

ZDan 05-17-2022 01:14 PM

Subaru p.n. for front bearings/hub for PP/Brembos

Just checking...
I found two different part numbers:
28473FL020
28373CA000

I *think* the first one is for Brembos, as one link for the 2nd one says "w/o brembo"

Looking to replace with the factory parts, unless there's a known *better* alternative for daily that sees a fair amount of track usage (~12 track days per year)

TIA!

NoHaveMSG 05-17-2022 02:11 PM

I'd stick with OE. I tried using a couple other brands and the OE timkens last the longest.

86league 05-17-2022 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZDan (Post 3523599)
Just checking...
I found two different part numbers:
28473FL020
28373CA000

I *think* the first one is for Brembos, as one link for the 2nd one says "w/o brembo"

TIA!

IDK why there would be any difference with the hub based on what caliper/rotor they bolt on. I put the 28373CA000 on my PP equipped car and they looked to be identical to what I took off and work fine. But honestly, I didn't check beyond what the subaru parts catalog told me I needed : https://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru_20...10-280-01.html

Ohhhh - FL020 is the rear hub, CA000 is the front - yep.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG (Post 3523616)
I'd stick with OE. I tried using a couple other brands and the OE timkens last the longest.

Then again - the guy at the subaru parts counter commented that he had seen a Looooooooot of these going through their department, and I might be better off leaving the advance auto "temporary" hub in place...

Are the OE still sourced from/made by timken and not in china somewhere at the same plant the aftermarket ones are made now?

NoHaveMSG 05-17-2022 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86league (Post 3523634)
Then again - the guy at the subaru parts counter commented that he had seen a Looooooooot of these going through their department, and I might be better off leaving the advance auto "temporary" hub in place...

Are the OE still sourced from/made by timken and not in china somewhere at the same plant the aftermarket ones are made now?

I'd just run it till it dies, they are not hard to swap.

The last ones I got were timken, that was a couple years ago. I've tried one through autozone or orielly's and bought a front set from amazon labeled "Detroit" brand and all those only lasted like a season. I have one on my bench I have been meaning to cut apart to see what is going on. Maybe I will go stick it in the band saw now.

dreamwonder 05-17-2022 04:06 PM

Also, hubbuster makes the job more pleasant if the wheel bearing was the original one.

NoHaveMSG 05-17-2022 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamwonder (Post 3523661)
Also, hubbuster makes the job more pleasant if the wheel bearing was the original one.

You have to replace it as a unit. Pull the caliper, rotor and speed sensor and it's 4 bolts on the back from the knuckle that hold the hub in. There is no non destructive way to get the bearings out.

ZDan 05-17-2022 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86league (Post 3523634)
Ohhhh - FL020 is the rear hub, CA000 is the front - yep.

Ah-ha! Looks like that's the answer...

Quote:

I went through the original front bearings after 1 year of street and track (13 track days @ ~1hr/day). But my setup was garbage, 1.25" lowered on factory struts/shocks, the fronts were hard on the bump stops statically so I was seriously overloading the outside front during cornering. Replacements have lasted about 20 track days since then with improved setup but starting to hear them during cornering now.

Would be good to know if I ordered from Subaru whether they've gone to a cheaper source for these...

NoHaveMSG 05-17-2022 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZDan (Post 3523670)

I went through the original front bearings after 1 year of street and track (13 track days @ ~1hr/day).

Sounds about the same for my front hub usage. 6 days a year, usually 5 20 minute sessions.

itschris 05-18-2022 02:40 AM

Sorry to hijack - what sort of symptoms are you having? With other cars I'm used to hearing a racket on the highway as they're going bad but haven't with this one.

I had barely noticeable play and loud grinding under heavy braking when I bought the car 12k miles ago. Swapped in new OE hubs and all was fine. The grinding started coming back after the car (bearings?) warmed up about 5k miles ago. I've done pads/rotors/rebuilt the caliper since then without an effect so I'm pretty confident in ruling that stuff out.

7-12k street miles just seems too soon to be looking at them again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG (Post 3523650)
I'd just run it till it dies, they are not hard to swap.

The last ones I got were timken, that was a couple years ago. I've tried one through autozone or orielly's and bought a front set from amazon labeled "Detroit" brand and all those only lasted like a season. I have one on my bench I have been meaning to cut apart to see what is going on. Maybe I will go stick it in the band saw now.

Any experience with SKF on this platform? They're cheap enough and I don't think I want to roll the dice with OE again

ZDan 05-18-2022 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itschris (Post 3523792)
Sorry to hijack - what sort of symptoms are you having? With other cars I'm used to hearing a racket on the highway as they're going bad but haven't with this one.

Kind of a groaning noise when cornering, mostly goes away when wheels aren't loaded laterally. Might have to go for a spin in a bit to double-check...
Weirdly I started hearing some clattering in a straight line over bumps and accel/decel on trip back to Prov from down south. Stopped to check and felt some play in the left front but couldn't tell if it was from bearings or balljoint or strut. Considered getting a hotel and taking it to a local DC(ish) area Sube dealer but figured it'd last so continued trip. At some point it quit making noise. Investigated yesterday and now there's no play! wtf...

Quote:

I had barely noticeable play and loud grinding under heavy braking when I bought the car 12k miles ago. Swapped in new OE hubs and all was fine. The grinding started coming back after the car (bearings?) warmed up about 5k miles ago. I've done pads/rotors/rebuilt the caliper since then without an effect so I'm pretty confident in ruling that stuff out.

Yeah that's *way* too soon. Making me wonder about replacing with factory if they've gone to a cheaper less durable bearing...

Quote:

Any experience with SKF on this platform? They're cheap enough and I don't think I want to roll the dice with OE again
Nope, had front bearings replaced under warranty after 1 year/13 track days with factory, those have lasted me a decent while.

If anybody has a better-than-factory alternative, let us know!

NoHaveMSG 05-18-2022 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itschris (Post 3523792)

ZDan pretty much described the exact symptoms I had. I did get one that started to squeal a bit under load but it had no play in it.

I would be willing to give SKF a go, they are a reputable bearing brand. Haven't ran them on my car before though.

dreamwonder 05-18-2022 11:43 AM

Used skf for a season. They lasted roughly 30ish days. Used moog and genuine oem as well, seem to last about the same.