Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Why did I wait so long to try the pedal dance (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145695)

jflogerzi 06-12-2021 11:43 AM

Why did I wait so long to try the pedal dance

Well I finally tried the pedal dance last night at my little local kart track where they host time attack. Think Autocross due to low speeds but still a challenge to get good lap times. Anyways what have I been missing all this time. in my 13 it has the more aggressive nannies vs the later 17's and on. The car just felt smoother to drive. Also my runs were much more consistent. One thing to warn is the car becomes much more happy to swing that rear end out ;) thus you better be ready to catch the rear end. I will continue to practice to prepare for larger tracks and the pedal dance.

soundman98 06-12-2021 01:24 PM

have you tried to compare this at all to pulling the traction/abs fuse?

jflogerzi 06-13-2021 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundman98 (Post 3441155)
have you tried to compare this at all to pulling the traction/abs fuse?

scared to do that :scared0016:

gen3v8 06-13-2021 07:13 PM

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/eb/74...1e22c2b59d.gif

Ultramaroon 06-13-2021 08:02 PM

People are funny. What's scary about driving a car built before ABS was a thing? Oooooo!...

jflogerzi 06-13-2021 08:32 PM

Maybe I will try this in a few events at the same track. Nothing bad can really happen there. Link on how to do this?

soundman98 06-13-2021 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 3441417)
People are funny. What's scary about driving a car built before ABS was a thing? Oooooo!...

I believe the abs fuse is needed for biasing, otherwise the system will lock a wheel with a random amount of pedal pressure.

@NoHaveMSG had it happen I believe with some other warning lights

If it was only the t/c and abs systems it took out, I'm all for pulling the fuse

NoHaveMSG 06-14-2021 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundman98 (Post 3441441)
I believe the abs fuse is needed for biasing, otherwise the system will lock a wheel with a random amount of pedal pressure.

If it was only the t/c and abs systems it took out, I'm all for pulling the fuse

I haven't had it drop into ice mode. I have had the EBD miss behave trail braking hard into a corner using the long press. @ZDan has pulled the abs fuse on track. I don't believe he had any issues.

Ultramaroon 06-14-2021 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundman98 (Post 3441441)

I remembered something about bias but wasn't sure.

Ultramaroon 06-14-2021 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG (Post 3441443)
I haven't had it drop into ice mode. I have had the EBD miss behave trail braking hard into a corner using the long press. @ZDan has pulled the abs fuse on track. I don't believe he had any issues.

Long press is for shit. It still pulls throttle, and intervenes as you've noticed.

soundman98 06-14-2021 12:50 AM

Long press is what I consider good enough for extreme street driving. But now after learning of ice mode, I wouldn't trust the entire system enough to leave it active in a track setting. Too many variables at the wrong time to have to deal with

NoHaveMSG 06-14-2021 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 3441445)
Long press is for shit. It still pulls throttle, and intervenes as you've noticed.

Yeah, it is pretty bad on the pre facelift cars. Trac box was a great investment. No waiting for engine temps, just flip the switch and it's ready to rock.

Ultramaroon 06-14-2021 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG (Post 3441448)
Yeah, it is pretty pad on the pre facelift cars. Trac box was a great investment. No waiting for engine temps, just flip the switch and it's ready to rock.

I really need to get one. I'm too fucking minimalist. ...ok, cheap. I'm too fucking cheap.

Dadhawk 06-14-2021 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 3441417)

Well, to play devil's advocate, nothing is scary about driving a car before ABS/Traction Control, primarily because they were designed without it. I'd be a little cautious in a modern car because it's very likely there was a tendency of the designers to lean on the computer more than they should. Maybe not in a sports car, but definitely in other genres.