Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Cold Air Intake on Edelbrock Supercharger for extra whine (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139575)

TokyoDrift 03-26-2020 05:48 AM

Cold Air Intake on Edelbrock Supercharger for extra whine

Hi guys,

I have a 2018 Subaru BRZ with an Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger, Remark muffler delete, and ST coilovers. I got installed a while back. I am loving the additional power coming from the car, but I am dying for a loud whine from the supercharger. People have recommended me to get a cold air intake to increase the whining noise. Can anyone recommend an intake that would be compatible with my supercharger? Also, does the supercharger allow for these aftermarket intakes to be installed? I have been eyeing the Perrin CAI for a while but I am unsure what to buy because I'm scared it won't fit my car. Hopefully, some of you more experienced BRZ/FRS owners can tell me. Please if you have any advice on how I can increase the whine in this car let me know.

Thank you for your guys' time!

StraightOuttaCanadaEh 03-26-2020 12:22 PM

I would suggest you post this in the Edelbrock thread but the lack of whine is a good thing.

shr133 04-04-2020 04:12 PM

I don't think anyone make an intake for the Edelbrock... It still won't whine it's just too quite, that's the way it is.... Stealth mod...

Yoshoobaroo 04-04-2020 04:38 PM

Cold Air Intake on Edelbrock Supercharger for extra whine

The new TVS blowers don’t whine. There’s no way to make them louder because they don’t whine to begin with. The only SC for this car that whines is Sprintex.

TripleTapHK 06-29-2021 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TokyoDrift (Post 3312942)
People have recommended me to get a cold air intake to increase the whining noise.!

The Edelbrock intake is a cold air intake. In fact, the stock intake is also a cold air intake. The blower in these kits just don't make much noise and that's a good thing. It's more efficient. Changing the intake will not add sound that isn't there to begin with.

That being said, I am looking into different intake options just because I find the Edelbrock intake to be poorly designed from a maintenance and usability perspective. 8 bolts and washers, multiple worm gear clamps, and and a bunch of finagling just to clean out my air filter. I drive a decent amount of gravel roads so it gets dusty pretty quick.

GPhilly 06-06-2022 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripleTapHK (Post 3445659)
The Edelbrock intake is a cold air intake. In fact, the stock intake is also a cold air intake. The blower in these kits just don't make much noise and that's a good thing. It's more efficient. Changing the intake will not add sound that isn't there to begin with.

That being said, I am looking into different intake options just because I find the Edelbrock intake to be poorly designed from a maintenance and usability perspective. 8 bolts and washers, multiple worm gear clamps, and and a bunch of finagling just to clean out my air filter. I drive a decent amount of gravel roads so it gets dusty pretty quick.

Did you find a solution to this? I installed my Edelbrock kit this past weekend and the socket head screws do not fit into the airbox. I have to use my hand to clamp the airbox (really hard!) together just to locate the thread. The fitment sucks, either its the supplied K&N filter or the way the airbox is molded, it doesn't fit together like all the tutorials/instructions. I not sure if its bad to not put all the screws in, because the plastic is literally warping...

apatel471 06-08-2022 06:21 PM

I had the same issue with mine and they ended up sending me an entirely new airbox since the original one was so misaligned and warped, but even with the new one, I had to really force the hardware into place. Although, It has been a year, and no issues with anything though.

bokehmon 07-07-2023 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apatel471 (Post 3528368)
I had the same issue with mine and they ended up sending me an entirely new airbox since the original one was so misaligned and warped, but even with the new one, I had to really force the hardware into place. Although, It has been a year, and no issues with anything though.

The sealing grease is also very susceptible to pushing out of the little air filter channel and getting into the intake. i've cleaned my MAF 3-4 times at this point, and finally took the intake apart... it was definitely flinging grease into the intake and on the maf as it got hot.

Muskoka800 07-08-2023 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bokehmon (Post 3586453)
The sealing grease is also very susceptible to pushing out of the little air filter channel and getting into the intake. i've cleaned my MAF 3-4 times at this point, and finally took the intake apart... it was definitely flinging grease into the intake and on the maf as it got hot.

You must have an early version of the kit. Edelbrock have since deleted the sealing grease from the air box process. I agree that those 8 nice stainless Allen caps crews are an issue as they are too short for easy installation. I simply went to a local industrial supply and purchased 8 (+2 spares) stainless hex bolts a few millimeter longer plus matching small flat washers. Boom! Problem solved for under $10.

Irace86.2.0 07-09-2023 04:14 PM

Whine = less efficiency.