Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Today I Learned... (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143874)

DarkPira7e 01-14-2021 03:39 PM

Today I Learned...

1 Attachment(s)
Starting a thread for things we learn. Anything. GO

Today I learned that cam lobe edges are extremely sharp.
Edit- added photo for @gen3v8

gen3v8 01-14-2021 03:50 PM

:needpics:

NoHaveMSG 01-14-2021 03:54 PM

Dude I could post something a couple times a week. My chimp brain is always learning something new. Like did you know you could make fire rubbing two pieces of wood together? Amazing.

DarkPira7e 01-14-2021 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG (Post 3399812)
Dude I could post something a couple times a week. My chimp brain is always learning something new. Like did you know you could make fire rubbing two pieces of wood together? Amazing.

That's the intent :)

NoHaveMSG 01-14-2021 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkPira7e (Post 3399813)
That's the intent :)

Dude watch your hands when you are retiming the engine. You time passenger side bank first with the cams on the base circle but then have to rotate the driver side cams so they are under valve spring tension when you put that side together and they will want to flip over on you.

EDIT: Actually I think I am confusing the FA with the EJ. On the FA you assemble the timing for the passenger bank, then rotate the crank set the timing on the driver cams on the base circle too but they are not set at TDC timing. The EJ you have one or both driver side cams off the base circle since it has one timing belt to run the whole thing and each bank can't be timed separately :bonk: It has been almost a year since I have had one apart.

weederr33 01-14-2021 04:56 PM

Today I learned I'm not alpha as fuck

humfrz 01-15-2021 01:27 AM

Today, I learned from my 4 ager granddaughter how old I was.

I have a bad habit of using a paper towel tube as a bullhorn to startle my 12 year old granddaughter. Today, as I was engrossed reading on the forum, the 12 year old got me back but good. I bolted back from the computer, about falling off my chair and yelled a very loud F word!

Th 4 ager scolded the 12 year old and said it wasn't nice to scare me that way because I was an old man, and then came up to me, put her arms around me and asked "pa-pa are you alright - are you sure you are alright?"

As she walked away, mrs humfrz asked the 4 ager "how old do you think your pa-pa is?"

She replied "oh, about a 100".

:iono:

wbradley 01-15-2021 09:50 AM

Cute

Sapphireho 01-15-2021 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3399922)
Today, I learned from my 4 ager granddaughter how old I was.

I have a bad habit of using a paper towel tube as a bullhorn to startle my 12 year old granddaughter. Today, as I was engrossed reading on the forum, the 12 year old got me back but good. I bolted back from the computer, about falling off my chair and yelled a very loud F word!

Th 4 ager scolded the 12 year old and said it wasn't nice to scare me that way because I was an old man, and then came up to me, put her arms around me and asked "pa-pa are you alright - are you sure you are alright?"

As she walked away, mrs humfrz asked the 4 ager "how old do you think your pa-pa is?"

She replied "oh, about a 100".

:iono:

So she was a couple weeks off..

JD001 01-15-2021 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gen3v8 (Post 3399808)
:needpics:

He's only gone and fucked up his phone/keyboard operating finger!! Obviously only applies to certain aged persons..

DarkPira7e 01-15-2021 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD001 (Post 3400021)
He's only gone and fucked up his phone/keyboard operating finger!! Obviously only applies to certain aged persons..

Nah it's still attached ot my hand, so I can type without issue. Just needed to stop the bleeding for a few minutes.

Just to re-affirm though; this post isn't meant to be about me, but it's a place for people to post what THEY'VE learned. I don't mind being picked on for being a dumb ass, but I also want people to share things in the spirit of learning.

Here's something I learned today-
Radium fuel rails for our cars have a bottom port for the fuel pulse damper- but Radium doesn't sell an aftermarket damper for that location. They want you to put one on the end of the rail, or in-line.

JD001 01-15-2021 04:09 PM

Well, I learned that bleeding stops after a few minutes.. but if it's your phone/keyboard operating finger then you're fucked..

Spuds 01-15-2021 06:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Today I learned that a Rubik's Cube has 26 blocks (8 corners, 6 centers, 12 edges). I only found 24...

NoHaveMSG 01-15-2021 06:42 PM

Vendor sent us a sample voltage gauge. What I learned was that this is a zener diode wired for over voltage protection. I thought it was for reverse current protection but that is a Schottky diode that you need for that. I think everyone can guess what happened.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...1ea56e3ddf.jpg