Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Cooling Dilemmas (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144227)

czellers 02-16-2021 11:05 AM

Cooling Dilemmas

My plan is to go turbo next year. I dont care if I buy a full kit, partial kit, or piece by piece with custom fabrication.. One thing I CANT get past is how often I see an entire half on an intercooler covered by an oil cooler, or the oil cooler and intercooler COMPLETELY covering the radiator...

At what point is there a legitimate concern around the degradation of air flow to these devices? i bothers me that its just, a "jam all that shit in the front bumper" type deal... likely due to so many being dailys i would guess..?

Any rule of thumb to follow for a fully thought out plumbing/placement strategy other than throwing the shit together?

CSG Mike 02-16-2021 01:54 PM

divorce everything you can.

czellers 02-16-2021 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSG Mike (Post 3407082)
divorce everything you can.

I've noticed a sizeable empty space behind the passenger side fog light, and presumably another on the driver's side once I remove the windshield washer fluid container. Curious if an oil cooler would fit in there.. been looking to see if there's any BRZs with a top mount intercooler..

86TOYO2k17 02-16-2021 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by czellers (Post 3407181)
I've noticed a sizeable empty space behind the passenger side fog light, and presumably another on the driver's side once I remove the windshield washer fluid container. Curious if an oil cooler would fit in there.. been looking to see if there's any BRZs with a top mount intercooler..

Lots of space behind passenger side for oil cooler, and once WWF Reservoir is gone/relocated an equally large space behind driver side.
Lots of people put oil and trans cooler (for autos) on those spots (myself included). Search around lots of posts already about all this.

CSG Mike 02-16-2021 09:08 PM

Quote:

You'll need to guide the air there and allow for an outlet. Otherwise, it's a very low flow area.

Kiske 02-16-2021 09:52 PM

Quote:

Kraftwerks/skunk2 sell a smaller replacement washer fluid resivor thay will free up enough room without loosing or relocating it.

Also look up v-mount intercooler setups to minimize stacking.

86TOYO2k17 02-16-2021 10:04 PM

Chase bay’s reservoir small and easy to mount.

Irace86.2.0 02-17-2021 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by czellers (Post 3407035)
My plan is to go turbo next year. I dont care if I buy a full kit, partial kit, or piece by piece with custom fabrication.. One thing I CANT get past is how often I see an entire half on an intercooler covered by an oil cooler, or the oil cooler and intercooler COMPLETELY covering the radiator...

At what point is there a legitimate concern around the degradation of air flow to these devices? i bothers me that its just, a "jam all that shit in the front bumper" type deal... likely due to so many being dailys i would guess..?

Any rule of thumb to follow for a fully thought out plumbing/placement strategy other than throwing the shit together?

I don’t understand your problem fully. Is this just an aesthetics thing or an OCD thing? Do you believe you will have a problem with cooling when you take the car to the track?

tomm.brz 02-17-2021 01:57 AM

best way is to put an oil cooler on the side as hks do

czellers 02-17-2021 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomm.brz (Post 3407222)
best way is to put an oil cooler on the side as hks do

Thats my plan. its amazing the access that exists from the factory behind/below the headlights to those empty areas... almost like they KNEW there would be intercooler plumbing eventually.

tomm.brz 02-17-2021 11:32 AM

well, depends where you buy it
in italy you have fog lights and headlights wash sprayers there so you have to remove both of them to fit an oil cooler

CSG Mike 02-17-2021 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 (Post 3407215)
I don’t understand your problem fully. Is this just an aesthetics thing or an OCD thing? Do you believe you will have a problem with cooling when you take the car to the track?

Hotter cooler in front of a cooler cooler.

The intercooler then becomes an interwarmer.

gen3v8 02-17-2021 02:30 PM

To think manufacturers even put a AC condenser in front of the radiator. Well have to move that now. Hot weather turn the AC on preheat the radiator. It just can`t work!
Will It?

Irace86.2.0 02-17-2021 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by czellers (Post 3407248)
Thats my plan. its amazing the access that exists from the factory behind/below the headlights to those empty areas... almost like they KNEW there would be intercooler plumbing eventually.

Intercoolers, oil coolers, brake ducting, anything. Most cars have dead space there if not used for those things or something else like mentioned: fog lights, etc.