Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   2022 Twin to STR (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148905)

Simmons 02-22-2022 08:05 PM

2022 Twin to STR

March fastrack

2022 twin to STR

https://cdn.connectsites.net/user_fi...pdf?1645577607

otter 02-22-2022 08:54 PM

Laaaaaaaaaaaame. Was hoping it'd stick with STX. Oh well, I'm sticking with DS for a year or two anyways, we'll see how it all shakes out.

SpectreRT 02-23-2022 10:39 AM

Can you explain scca classing? I tried to do research, and its like learning a new language.

trippinbillies40 02-23-2022 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectreRT (Post 3506612)
Can you explain scca classing? I tried to do research, and its like learning a new language.

Best way is to look at the appendix for street class and see where your car belongs (D-Street) then read the rules for Street. If your car has something done to it that isn't specifically allowed in Street, start looking at Street Touring. Things like aero and boost, or removed interiors very quickly put you into Street Mod or Prepared (stupid fast classes you won't be competitive in unless you built the car just for that class).

Basics of street:
-Can run aftermarket wheels +/- 1" of OE diameter, has to be same width, and within +/- 7mm of offset
-200tw or higher tires
-Cat back exhaust ok
-Can change one swaybar, not both
-Can change shocks but have to retain OE spring perch positioning (can't lower the car) and has to be on OE springs

Street Touring R (for 22s)
-Up to 9" wide wheels and 265 wide tires (although you'll want to be on 255 max, likely 245)
-Still 200tw tires
-Intake, header, full cat back all ok, just need to have one 200cell cat in there, and technically right now you can't remove the charcoal filter from the intake
-Tuning is ok on the stock ECU
-Coilovers and camber plates are ok
-Either upper or lower rear control arms are ok, but not both, and they can't change any geometry, so the current batch of Gen 1 RLCA's are technically illegal because the bottom mount for the strut is too far inward
-You can swap bushings as long as they're the same material as the OE
-Aftermarket diff is ok
-Big brakes are ok
-Can do seats as long as they're 25lbs and come up at least half way up your helmet and are upholstered
-Front and rear sway bar are ok
-Can swap the battery to a smaller battery

Port installed accessories are ok, dealer-only installed accessories are not in both of those.

With all classes, if it doesn't say you can do it, you're not allowed to do it.

otter 02-23-2022 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectreRT (Post 3506612)

That's a loaded question but I'll stick with the really really really basic overview.

Overall - cars are grouped based on other similar car types and capabilities. This can shift over time as new cars hit the market, old cars age out, etc.

Street Class - this is where "stock" cars live. Minimal mods permitted (shocks, a sway bar, catback, and 200tw tires). 9 classes overall, Twins are in DS which where the biggest competition comes from the CTR

Street Touring - the idea behind this class is that it's meant to cover common bolt on mods. Much more open for suspension mods and some basic bolt-on power adders (intake, tune, catted exhaust). Still a street tire class (200TW).

Street Prepared - this is where the line starts to blur between street car and race car. Start getting into light aero, limited weight reduction, more allowances for engine modifications, and open tire rules (slicks allowed)

Street Modified - most aggressive of the "street" classes and is basically split based on whether nor not the car has a back seat.

Prepared - these are basically former production cars converted to full race cars.

Modified - purpose built race cars live here. Various old Formula cars, club racers, Lotus 7 clones, Exocets, etc.

CAM - 'murica, street tires and limited aero, but otherwise open ruleset.

XA/XB - CAM for imports

EVX - catch-all for production electrics

racingfool 02-23-2022 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trippinbillies40 (Post 3506647)
-You can swap bushings as long as they're the same material as the OE

Quote:

Street Touring R

Suspension bushings may be replaced with bushings of any
materials (except metal) as long as they fit in the original location.

the amount of metal relative to the amount
of non-metallic material may not be increased

Midnightsky 02-23-2022 05:59 PM

If you plan to mod your car, just run open class and don't worry about where you place. Have fun first, learn the car, don't worry about classification until you are ready to get seriously competitive.

Basically, mod away, and do what you want for the car for now. It takes years to get good enough to be competitive in D-street and probably another couple years before you will be good enough to be winning in STR. Also remember than many autocross events have sound decibel limits, as well as some race tracks. Removing catalytic converters and resonators may put you over the sound limits, so just be aware of that. Normally you will get 2 runs and if you can't physically modify the exhaust right there at the event, either downturn tip(s) or packing steel wool into the exhaust tip(s) then you will be told you cannot compete any further. Most will offer you a refund or at least a partial refund for the entry fee.

DocWalt 02-24-2022 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by otter (Post 3506497)
Laaaaaaaaaaaame. Was hoping it'd stick with STX. Oh well, I'm sticking with DS for a year or two anyways, we'll see how it all shakes out.

Why STX? It would obliterate the most popular ST class.

otter 02-24-2022 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocWalt (Post 3506915)
Why STX? It would obliterate the most popular ST class.

Just because it's my gut instinct that a well prepped twin isn't going to be able to beat a well prepped ND in STR. Obviously no data to back this up so we'll see.

DocWalt 02-25-2022 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by otter (Post 3506955)
Just because it's my gut instinct that a well prepped twin isn't going to be able to beat a well prepped ND in STR. Obviously no data to back this up so we'll see.

Coming from a well prepped ND in STR... I agree. I don't think it will be a huge underdog, however I strongly encourage writing a letter (sebscca.com) asking for the ND to be moved elsewhere and/or create an STX2 class or whatever as the current STX should eventually be the STS replacement IMO and STR pre-ND was really fun and the NC and 22+ Twin would be a really fun battle.

br33z 03-01-2022 10:01 AM

So just to be super clear… even if I am running a bone stock 22 it will be in STR with all the other FBO cars?

trippinbillies40 03-01-2022 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by br33z (Post 3507939)
So just to be super clear… even if I am running a bone stock 22 it will be in STR with all the other FBO cars?

No, bone stock is in D Street.