Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Wrecked my FR-S, now can't afford insurance (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37030)

Joetheegyptian 05-20-2013 02:17 PM

Wrecked my FR-S, now can't afford insurance

Some background info:
-I'm 20 years old
-put all my money as a down payment ($5,000)
-I've had over 15 tickets and 4 wrecks (my fault) in the past 5 years. 3 of those tickets and 2 of the wrecks were in the past 3 years.
-Since I have a bad record, my dad has insurance on the car but I drive.
-I'm a full time student
-I work 55 hours a week making minimum wage.
-I've been leasing the FR-S for 7 months

So a few days ago I rear ended a car and caused 7k worth of damage to my love. Insurance is fixing the car but I will have to get my own insurance. I've gotten quotes at around $800 per month! As a student, I can't afford to pay over $1100 per month to drive this awesome car. Since this car is leased, what options do I have? I can't imagine working all summer to buy a POS Civic and still pay $300 per month for liability. I'd appreciate any kind of advice.

zaptorque 05-20-2013 02:21 PM

http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/62b/5e2...ing-1e309e.jpg

polarstorm 05-20-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joetheegyptian (Post 947704)
Some background info:
-I'm 20 years old
-put all my money as a down payment ($5,000)
-I've had over 15 tickets and 4 wrecks (my fault) in the past 5 years. 3 of those tickets and 2 of the wrecks were in the past 3 years.
-Since I have a bad record, my dad has insurance on the car but I drive.
-I'm a full time student
-I work 55 hours a week making minimum wage.
-I've been leasing the FR-S for 7 months

So a few days ago I rear ended a car and caused 7k worth of damage to my love. Insurance is fixing the car but I will have to get my own insurance. I've gotten quotes at around $800 per month! As a student, I can't afford to pay over $1100 per month to drive this awesome car. Since this car is leased, what options do I have? I can't imagine working all summer to buy a POS Civic and still pay $300 per month for liability. I'd appreciate any kind of advice.

Why are you wrecking the cars? You must be doing something wrong. Think about it. I've been driving for longer that you are old and have never had a single accident (knock on wood). Your dad shouldn't be covering your ass, that's why you're not learning anything. Please buy a civic, stay off the FRS platform, you're going to push insurance up for all of us. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but that's bs. Now you're trying to find a way out..

Sorry bud, no hard feelings just my own experience.

jskurucz 05-20-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joetheegyptian (Post 947704)
Some background info:

WTF.

CrispyBread 05-20-2013 02:28 PM

^

Xdragonxb0i 05-20-2013 02:29 PM

agreed there is not much you can do anymore.

You have to pay insurance on it. It is your fault (tickets and accidents). Only thing i would do it. get something that the insurance company wouldnt kill you on, like a scooter.

636 05-20-2013 02:29 PM

Sell the car and get a bike and live without having to buy insurance.

Well actually in your case that might be 100x more dangerous.

raul 05-20-2013 02:29 PM

Ride a bicycle until you learn how to drive.

jskurucz 05-20-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 636 (Post 947736)
Sell the car and get a bicycle and live without having to buy insurance.

There, I fixed it for you.

GloriousJ 05-20-2013 02:31 PM

If this isnt trolling I dont know what is.

CaptainSlow 05-20-2013 02:32 PM

Your dad was an enabler, and you should have never taken on a responsibility unless you were 100% sure you could handle every aspect of it. You sound like a 15yo girl who has a baby because they're cute, but make their parents buy food and diapers for it. No advice for you other than contacting the dealership you got it from and seeing what you can do to end your lease early.

15 tickets is fucking ridiculous. I've been driving for 12 years now and I've had 2 tickets, 0 at-fault accidents, and 0 points on my license. You need to seriously look at your life and grow up. That number of tickets only comes from chronic irresponsibility.

Just being 100% honest here.

TM 05-20-2013 02:34 PM

With a record like that, I'm surprise any insurance would even let you abroad.

thill 05-20-2013 02:34 PM

If this is for real, you need to take more driving lessons/classes, sell the FR-S, and get a beater until you can clean you your record. Get something slow and safe. Like a used Honda Accord.

If this thread is a joke the mods should ban you.

naikaidriver 05-20-2013 02:35 PM

Judging from your driving record, you're not fit or competent enough to drive a car on public roads. Sell your car and buy a bicycle until you are a bit more mature.

I think you've damaged enough property already.

Scott