Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Things I like 2022, Things I miss 2020 (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148848)

soundman98 03-01-2022 06:13 PM

i believe the wheel specs stayed the same.

DarkSunrise 03-04-2022 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.whiskers (Post 3506506)
Makes me happy I went with BRZ, actually was a bit surprised that its that comfy for everyday life even on our shitty roads

TheTopher (former 1st gen owner) just bought a 2nd gen BRZ and confirmed that the suspension tuning is noticeably softer around town vs. the GR86.

https://youtu.be/3DKyYja2Fc4

Yoshoobaroo 03-04-2022 01:50 PM

Things I like 2022, Things I miss 2020

Unbelievable. [emoji1787] The car with the softer springs in the back feels like it has softer springs?

daiheadjai 03-04-2022 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo (Post 3508630)
Unbelievable. [emoji1787] The car with the softer springs in the back feels like it has softer springs?

In the words of Mr.RegularCars, "Impossubaru!"

dsc_pat 03-04-2022 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkSunrise (Post 3508629)
TheTopher (former 1st gen owner) just bought a 2nd gen BRZ and confirmed that the suspension tuning is noticeably softer around town vs. the GR86.

They really are not. I've done hundreds of km on both back to back. Topher is on WS90 winter tire, no wonder it feels ''softer''...

Everything feels exactly the same, actual differences are noise-level, not signal.

The only noticeable difference is the terminal understeer on very low adherence ground (packed snow). This will only show at max grip level. The GR86 is a bit less understeery, but still is more prone to understeer than 1st gen stock vs stock.

https://i.ibb.co/71K3VYQ/IMG-6860.jpg

DarkSunrise 03-04-2022 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsc_pat (Post 3508649)
They really are not. I've done hundreds of km on both back to back. Topher is on WS90 winter tire, no wonder it feels ''softer''...

Everything feels exactly the same, actual differences are noise-level, not signal.

Maybe different butt sensitivities? :)

Sasquachulator 03-04-2022 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkSunrise (Post 3508656)
Maybe different butt sensitivities? :)

Introducing the all-new Butt Perception Metric (BPM), The average score for everyday answers to the most crucial of vehicular questions:

How much butt-feel does the car provide?
What does the user calibrated butt dyno convey in terms of speed and power?
How comfy does the seat feel? and how does it affect overall vehicular comfort?
Does the butt stiffness factor go up if the seats are hard?

reeves 03-15-2022 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.whiskers (Post 3506506)
Makes me happy I went with BRZ, actually was a bit surprised that its that comfy for everyday life even on our shitty roads

Heard the BRZ is more comfy than the 86 so I'm leaning towards the Subaru too. Did you drive both to compare?

mr.whiskers 03-15-2022 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reeves (Post 3510801)
Heard the BRZ is more comfy than the 86 so I'm leaning towards the Subaru too. Did you drive both to compare?

No I haven't. When I bought mine there were no GR86s for sale yet

Myriad 05-09-2022 03:10 PM

Disappointed to learn the new GR86 has no spare tire. I’ve seen a few posters here mention that they will grab their old 86 spare, but what I want to know is will that even work? Does the new model even have the same space or attachment point under the floor of the trunk to accommodate one? I like having it tucked away out of view. Having a loose spare taking up all the trunk space is not ideal.

Thanks,
Myriad

Shrapnel 05-09-2022 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myriad (Post 3521881)
Disappointed to learn the new GR86 has no spare tire. I’ve seen a few posters here mention that they will grab their old 86 spare, but what I want to know is will that even work? Does the new model even have the same space or attachment point under the floor of the trunk to accommodate one? I like having it tucked away out of view. Having a loose spare taking up all the trunk space is not ideal.

Thanks,
Myriad

It’s ridiculous that they don’t provide a spare. I am still waiting for my car but I have looked into this and it seems the previous gen compact spares will fit the new car and the trunk does still have the space and threaded post for a spare. Shouldn’t be difficult or expensive to source the spare. My question is, do we also need to buy the foam trim and/or jack, lug wrench etc that goes in the foam pieces?

Sasquachulator 05-09-2022 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myriad (Post 3521881)

Thanks,
Myriad

Ive noticed that cars that dont come with a spare, they have the spare tire repair kit undernearth the trunk carpet in a foam cover that is inside a well that is round and shaped to accomodate a spare tire......

So I get the impression that some car manufacturers just dont give a spare for cost, weight or trunk volume spec reasons.

The other thing that gets me is that cars that just come with a tire repair kit....they might still come with a tire jack and related tools.....

andys_garage 05-10-2022 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shrapnel (Post 3521890)
It’s ridiculous that they don’t provide a spare. I am still waiting for my car but I have looked into this and it seems the previous gen compact spares will fit the new car and the trunk does still have the space and threaded post for a spare. Shouldn’t be difficult or expensive to source the spare. My question is, do we also need to buy the foam trim and/or jack, lug wrench etc that goes in the foam pieces?

I actually checked this the other day. There's an inflator kit in the trunk, along with a lug wrench, a spot for your wheel lock key, and i'm sure a jack (i wasn't looking for the jack).

In the middle where the spare tire well goes... there's a spare tire well. complete with a threaded hole you could use to lock down a spare tire. Instead of a spare tire there's a big chunk of foam with compartments and in one of the compartments is the inflator kit. There's also plenty of extra space for things like a first aid kit, hazard flares/lights, etc.

clio 05-10-2022 07:00 PM

Been driving a few decades and never needed a spare tire. I'm happy to go for the additional power to weight advantage in avoiding it.