Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine Swaps (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   GM LFX 3.6L V6 Motor Swap (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117334)

gtpvette 04-08-2017 09:26 AM

GM LFX 3.6L V6 Motor Swap

Update: Yes,, moving forward with a 2012-2015 Camaro LFX V6 swap.

I curious is anyone’s taken a look the GM Aluminum v6 LFX or derivative as a swap candidate?? HP is 325-335 TQ curve is nice and flat around 220 ish. Motor light (number I’ve seen is 345 but don’t know if it’s dressed at that weight), twin overhead cam with exhaust manifolds integrated into head. This last item is actually pretty slick. Normal exhaust would just be a down tube then out the back. If I’m not mistaken on the LF3 and LF4 (both 425+ HP) version they bolt the turbos directly to the head.

Low mile LFX motors (Less than 10K) look to be around $2K and a 6 speed less than $1K. These are 2012-2015 Camaro setups. It’s drive by wire so the gas pedal is necessary as well. Might be cheaper to buy a whole wrecked car though and there are lots of them around.

Oil pan might be an issue. The Camaro one is more of a rear sump but they are other that are more of a front sump,,, but might still need to be modified. I’ve spent a bit of time looking at the GTO pan straddling the cross member and rack in some of the pictures. As the V6 pan is shorter the trans would need to move forward a bit but it might fit. A custom pan is always an option but the cost would be a killer.
Some of the Miata guys are putting these into their track cars and seem to like the results. I figured if it fits in a Miata should fit in a FRS.

Line up of Motors,, the late model 3.6l LFX are in lots of GM cars
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_High_Feature_engine

gtpvette 04-08-2017 09:31 AM

in a Miata

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...psxqcssk29.jpg

MRS-Colin 04-08-2017 10:03 AM

A lot of people consider this option but it always boils down to the only cost savings is on the engine and transmission. If you are going to go far enough to swap a whole drivetrain, at least do a V8 :)

gtpvette 04-08-2017 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRS-Colin (Post 2887795)
A lot of people consider this option but it always boils down to the only cost savings is on the engine and transmission. If you are going to go far enough to swap a whole drivetrain, at least do a V8 :)

Certainly a valid point. I'll guess maybe a $5K difference for a similar mile motor and trans (your mileage may vary) but that should be about right. At the right price point installed I like the thought of this motor though. For a DD 325hp sounds like a like a lot of fun.

F R YESS 04-08-2017 11:12 AM

Quote:

And if it was a DD maybe mpg would be something to consider? Not sure how much a real world difference would be in a light car but still, 5 mpg in a daily could be beneficial!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

venturaII 04-08-2017 04:43 PM

Another nice 60deg V6. Perfect match for this chassis.

Teseo 04-08-2017 04:48 PM

As long "bolt on" in the chasis with little to no modification im sold.

Mr.ac 04-08-2017 05:36 PM

Quote:

Exactly. If your going to do all the work why not just drop in a V8. You'll even add an extra 100 hp with out doing anything.

The though did come to me, but only if it was like a bolt on and the price was way cheaper than V8 or a tad ballpark for a FI kit.

gtpvette 04-09-2017 08:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
After looking at more oil pans then I care to mention,, I came across this. It's from a Holden but a bit older V6 than the LFX. Bolt patten looks the same though. If it works,,, it's the GTO pan for this V6 (front sump).

gtpvette 04-09-2017 08:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I'll add these as well. They show the stock motor mounts. The question is,,, would they line up right above the cross member. Note the center picture shows the Camaro rear sump pan,,,, which wouldn't work. The mounts seem to be right about the middle cylinder.

gtpvette 04-09-2017 08:49 PM

As I'm thinking about it ,, at 325HP are the axles and rear end OK??? Could the cooling system handle 325HP with AC and the heat of South Florida??? Also,,, would a new driveshaft be necessary??? Could you take the Camaro drive shaft and put a FRS rear end adapter on it or visa a versa??

-Willis-86touge 04-09-2017 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.ac (Post 2887971)
Exactly. If your going to do all the work why not just drop in a V8. You'll even add an extra 100 hp with out doing anything.

The though did come to me, but only if it was like a bolt on and the price was way cheaper than V8 or a tad ballpark for a FI kit.

To save weight the transmission is almost identical to ours. I even wonder if a cheap adapter would save on this swap and the motor weighs almost 30lbs lighter then the fa20 at least this is what I have came up with! Yes I have been considering this for a long time and if I can swing it it's on my list!!! Lighter engine and 100 more hp! Been on the Camaro forums and I believe they have got the motor close to 300whp. Plus nice flat torque band.

Mr.ac 04-10-2017 04:07 AM

In reality anything is possible with the time and money.

gtpvette 04-10-2017 07:30 AM

Too bad searching on LFX reveals nothing. Found this searching on 'Crossmember'

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...smember&page=6

Mods close this thread pls. Thanks!!