Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Imaginary Rev Limiter Intermitantly? / oil temp? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154049)

nickmerronesucks 09-30-2023 10:58 AM

Imaginary Rev Limiter Intermitantly? / oil temp?

Hey Guys,

Have experienced this a few times at the track(Drifting).

I'll clutch kick the car and get right back into it and it seems to have almost like a clutch activated rev limiter(dont quote me on exact RPM).

The car was pretty stock when i bought it but who knows could of been tuned and returned back to stock half assidly?

Just wondering if anyone has any kind of outlook on this.

Car is being driven with ABS removed as well so its not a traction control related thing or anything, had a pro driver hop in for some fun runs and he noticed it too and then drove around the car avoiding clutch kicks.

Also after quite a few hot laps got a flickering oil light, oil level ok but also hard to judge since im sure it can read high on the stick from sloshing around.

Any kind of thing I should be aware of on that? Assuming I may of just gotten the oil really dang hot and she was low on pressure, I killed it and parked up after that. Car seems fine now. I plan on dropping the pan this week.

2013 BRZ

soundman98 09-30-2023 02:02 PM

your profile says your car is turbo'd, which would mean the car has a tune. have you ran a logging session during one of these times?

i really suspect your tune, likely something about the shock load to the motor is hitting some sort of software 'switch' that is triggering to attempt to protect the engine.

nickmerronesucks 09-30-2023 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundman98 (Post 3593753)
your profile says your car is turbo'd, which would mean the car has a tune. have you ran a logging session during one of these times?

i really suspect your tune, likely something about the shock load to the motor is hitting some sort of software 'switch' that is triggering to attempt to protect the engine.

I apologize, this is a new car.

Bone stock other than angle kit & coilovers

soundman98 09-30-2023 06:04 PM

how is the ABS removed?

i'm wondering if the system is still trying to trigger..

blsfrs 09-30-2023 08:29 PM

I had a similar experience with a tune, "flat foot shifting" was enabled. Prior to shifting, a light touch on the clutch pedal dropped the spark advance to 0*. Hence: rev limiter.

nickmerronesucks 10-01-2023 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blsfrs (Post 3593782)
I had a similar experience with a tune, "flat foot shifting" was enabled. Prior to shifting, a light touch on the clutch pedal dropped the spark advance to 0*. Hence: rev limiter.

I like to think this could be right but I’m unsure how to tell if this thing was tuned or not to be honest. It definitely doesn’t feel like it drivability wise lol.

nickmerronesucks 10-01-2023 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundman98 (Post 3593775)
how is the ABS removed?

i'm wondering if the system is still trying to trigger..

Just removed fuses I think I had a brain fart typing and forgot a word Lol

It’s very inconsistent, for example I’m on the bank of English town and need a little UMPH So I give her a clutch kick and boom now I’m at 3500 rpm rev limiter aimed at the wall lol

soundman98 10-01-2023 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickmerronesucks (Post 3593806)
Just removed fuses I think I had a brain fart typing and forgot a word Lol

It’s very inconsistent, for example I’m on the bank of English town and need a little UMPH So I give her a clutch kick and boom now I’m at 3500 rpm rev limiter aimed at the wall lol

i would try the pedal dance to remove the vehicle slip corrective actions from the equation.

if the vehicle detects a slip, it typically activates ABS for individual wheels, as well as cuts throttle.

i think you're getting the throttle cut where the car is trying to 'correct' the situation, and would be activating ABS, except the power to the module no longer exists.

blsfrs 10-01-2023 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickmerronesucks (Post 3593805)
I like to think this could be right but I’m unsure how to tell if this thing was tuned or not to be honest. It definitely doesn’t feel like it drivability wise lol.

When accelerating in 2nd or 3rd, 3/4 to full throttle, put your foot lightly on the clutch pedal. If the engine almost cuts off, FFS is working.

This is what I went through.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...+foot+shifting

nickmerronesucks 10-02-2023 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundman98 (Post 3593814)
i would try the pedal dance to remove the vehicle slip corrective actions from the equation.

if the vehicle detects a slip, it typically activates ABS for individual wheels, as well as cuts throttle.

i think you're getting the throttle cut where the car is trying to 'correct' the situation, and would be activating ABS, except the power to the module no longer exists.

I run no ABS fuse all the time to avoid any of that

nickmerronesucks 10-02-2023 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blsfrs (Post 3593822)
When accelerating in 2nd or 3rd, 3/4 to full throttle, put your foot lightly on the clutch pedal. If the engine almost cuts off, FFS is working.

This is what I went through.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...+foot+shifting

I'll try that as soon as I get the oil pan back on! Thanks man

terboboost 10-04-2023 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickmerronesucks (Post 3593886)
I run no ABS fuse all the time to avoid any of that

Any you are only pulling the single green fuse, right?

AussieBRZ 10-05-2023 01:25 AM

We
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickmerronesucks (Post 3593735)
Hey Guys,

Have experienced this a few times at the track(Drifting).

I'll clutch kick the car and get right back into it and it seems to have almost like a clutch activated rev limiter(dont quote me on exact RPM).

The car was pretty stock when i bought it but who knows could of been tuned and returned back to stock half assidly?

Just wondering if anyone has any kind of outlook on this.

Car is being driven with ABS removed as well so its not a traction control related thing or anything, had a pro driver hop in for some fun runs and he noticed it too and then drove around the car avoiding clutch kicks.

Also after quite a few hot laps got a flickering oil light, oil level ok but also hard to judge since im sure it can read high on the stick from sloshing around.

Any kind of thing I should be aware of on that? Assuming I may of just gotten the oil really dang hot and she was low on pressure, I killed it and parked up after that. Car seems fine now. I plan on dropping the pan this week.

2013 BRZ

If car is ecutek tuned I'd say tuner has activated flat foot shift feature, whan you clutch kick it won't let the rpm increase of current rpm.

Fix will be to disable flat foot shift feature in tune or at least disable it on one or more of the map me des if you want to clutch kick to get wheel spin

FFS is engaged if throttle is over 85 percent and you press clutch

Flickering oil light is a worry it means oil pressure is dropping below about 3 psi.

It's just a simple pressure switch it doesn't go through ECU. So if that's real and pressure switch is not broken you oil pressure is dangerously low

I'd assume your running an oil cooler and at least 5w30 or 10 w40 oil and you oil temps are less than about 120C max if not I'd check that out asap before you need a new motor

nickmerronesucks 10-08-2023 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terboboost (Post 3594023)
Any you are only pulling the single green fuse, right?

yes any more you think?